Setting up my own DNS

I have 2 static IPs and a domain I want to use. How do I set up my own nameservers? I've been told this can be done on godaddy, can anyone help me out (newbie is lost).

Hi

Go to godaddy.com and login to your account, then click on your domain name which takes you to a list of options. Down the bottom is *Domain Host Information*, click there and then enter the details of your nameservers (eg. ns1.yourdomain.com and ns2.yourdomain.com - you can use anything you like for the prefix) and the appropriate ip numbers you have for them.

You will have to wait for these to propogate around the web (up to 3 days on the outside).

Also remember to then set these in your control panel for your dns information.

Hope that's of some help
    Pia
    Chalice Web at www.chaliceweb.com.au
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting

then, there are many ppl have a dedicated dns server, is there a necessary for normal resellers also set up one?
    what's so big difference between these two? if i have two dedicated IP addresses for my domain, and i configured it as you siad, who actually host my dns? where is my dns server?

Hello

A dns server is a database that holds the entries for your primary and secondary nameservers, ie. the information necessary for the outside world to reach your website and for email to travel to and from your email address (or any website configured on that server). It changes the domain name to an IP address, so that it can be accessed (cos the internet works by the IP numbers, not the domain names).

A reseller will have their primary and secondary nameservers set up on the server that their domain name is configured to... just the same as anyone else who has a domain name and site set up on that server. (you can also have dns info set up externally but I'm not going there, here and now )

Your primary dns is attached to your site which is on the server that you have your account on (your webhosts server). Your secondary dns can also be on this server however, you can have extra secondary dns that can be set up elsewhere for redundancy purposes.

Then there's the registrar, which is where you have your domain name registered at... private nameservers also have to be set up there by making them into domain hosts and adding your IP numbers to them.

Oh, and no... you don't need private dns, you can use your hosts nameservers. Although, a lot of resellers prefer to have private dns though because it does not define them as a resellers to their clients and it looks more professional)

I hope this has made sense to you and please... someone... correct me if I am off track anywhere here with this info (its been a long day and I have a cold )
    Pia
    Chalice Web at www.chaliceweb.com.au
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting