Where do I start?

Hi ladies and gents,

I am a webdeveloper, so i don't kow that much about hosting, besides that you pay for it and use it. I have a few sites that I built for people that use different hosting companies and I was thinking to my self why should they pay some one else when they coul be paying me!

So I started to look at reseller accounts, and as you probably know there are a million + of them out there. Where do I begin? I work primarily in PHP but do work in asp and jsp as well. But the hosting company does not have to be all of those languages, but it sure be nice. What are your recomendations for a startup reseller hosting company, I do have a couple of pretty large sites but other then those two everything else is under 10 megs a piece. Now that I told you what my business looks like where do I go, how much do I need, who's the best. ANd ofcourse something not to expensive say under $20/mo or so or a good deal on a yearly contract...

And what's the usual going rate per account if I was to bill them, obviosly the bigger the website the more I charge.

Thanks in advance,
    Lito

Hello Lito,
    Some one will undoubtedly direct you to the "request forums" shortly. But a few popular hosts on this board are as follows:

www.httpme.com
    www.unitedhosting.co.uk
    www.hostgator.com (this one is new'ish)
    www.dixiesys.com

Best Regards,
    Darrell
    ThePrimeHost LLC - Serving Websites Since 2001.
    Fully Managed VPS Hosting w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Reseller Hosting with End User Support

I highly respect how you didn't list yourself on that list...unless that was your plan to gain my respect...then touché. lol
    --Eric West

There are plenty of solid hosts here at WHT. But since I should only be recommending someone from personal experience, I have had a reseller account with www.prioritycolo.com since August 2002. I couldn't be happier.

Myles (goes by username porcupine) runs a tight ship. Just do a search for prioritycolo and you'll see nothing but praise.

Good luck.

Vito
    DemoDemo.com - Flash tutorials since 2002
    DemoWolf.com - 5,300+ Flash tutorials for hosting companies, incl. Voice tutorials

Originally posted by HeadNerd
    I highly respect how you didn't list yourself on that list...unless that was your plan to gain my respect...then touché. lol
    That would be against the rules.
    Send all e-mail to
    abuse@spews.org

Thank you all for such a quick response, I appreciate all the links but what I was also looking to find out the do's and the dont's, what to look for in reseller program? Maybe pro's and con's.

Lito

The most talked about item on this board is "unlimited bandwidth" and how there is no such thing. If a host advertises the UB words, then they aren't being honest and you have to dig in their Terms of Service & Acceptable Usage Policy to see what they really allow, and then it may not be found until you try to use more than "unlimited".

Hi Lito,

Many reseller programs allow you to host multiple domains and control them all through software such as WHM. It may be worth reading up on WHM/Cpanel and other control panel software to find some that meets your preference, then you could refine your search down to hosts that use that software.

Next choose a host with a good reputation and has a proven track record - you don't want to settle in to find an unreliable unresponsive host.

Your budget of $20 per month may be a little low if you are looking for a higher quality solution - $25 -$30+ per month for a basic plan is usually a good starting point.

Good luck,

Matt
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Thank you all for all your comments and sugestions, It really opend up my eyes, well at least I know what to look for in reseller program.

I was just wondering, how do my customers pay? Do I need to set up credit card processing or does a host provide something for that matter?

You would need to ideally take credit cards for the easiest option - something like http://www.2checkout.com allows you to do this reasonably cheaply.
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy