Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post Count

Post Count

i've posted twice, and it still says my post count is 1 . Please help.

i've posted 3 times and my post count is still 1.

Please help!

Posts only count in the Main Forums category. They do not count in any of the advertising forums or the other forums

ohh... why is that?

Originally posted by beric
    ohh... why is that?
    Because we said so .

Maybe because running ads doesn't contribute to the community?
    Send all e-mail to
    abuse@spews.org

That's one of my friends.

But I dont' see why posts in the lounge don't count towards post counts.

But I dont' see why posts in the lounge don't count towards post counts.
    Yeah, I also wants to know the answer.
    Dinsol.com Web Hosting Since Year 1999 Open Running Stable
    Social Media Optimization & Marketing Services with World Class Quality
    www.dinsol.com

Originally posted by Shikha
    Yeah, I also wants to know the answer.
    See above:

Because we said so .

This is a technical forum and communicating technical information is the primary goal of the forum -- the lounge is not technical.

And it cuts down on the number of "whoohoo postcount" threads.

<title>Let's make this the hottest thread ever/</title>

( My postcount didnt increase with this post )
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

neither did mine, lol

Dinsol.com Web Hosting Since Year 1999 Open Running Stable
    Social Media Optimization & Marketing Services with World Class Quality
    www.dinsol.com

What is mine at?

Originally posted by catfishing
    What is mine at?
    Looks like zero from here.

Looks like eleven from here.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by allan
    See above:

Because we said so .

This is a technical forum and communicating technical information is the primary goal of the forum -- the lounge is not technical.
    So when we give our "technical knowledge" about websites, or give suggestions for the betterment of the community they still don't "fit in" the primary goal? I figured the primary goal of a community was to have a community, including feedback and general discussion.
    I just can't understand the mods feeling that contributing to the forum isn't important. Whether or not its general discussion (the lounge) or helping someone with a PHP script. Post counts are just post counts, to this day I've never understood why Robert and company are so gung ho about making sure some input on these forums "don't matter". I've always considered the post count part of the "This is how much I contribute" count. This would be one of the big reasons I don't participate in this topic often. If the administrators don't feel that this forum fits any "primary goal" of the overall community why should I contribute?
    It seems like SO much work for you guys to make sure some posts don't count, I just can't understand why you'd want to work that hard for some absurd rule. Just my "opinion that doesn't count" .
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

Fortunately, it is no effort. Just a couple of clicks in the admin control panel. But I do appreciate your concern about how hard the mods have to work.

Fortunately, it is no effort. Just a couple of clicks in the admin control panel. But I do appreciate your concern about how hard the mods have to work.
    Reading that makes me wonder if it was a smirk or an actual reply. I'm truely starting to get the feeling that the administration and *some* of the moderation staff really doesn't give a crap about the community's opinions. But, WHT isn't a democracy, so I guess that's life now, but just as a side note, a community without its members isn't really a community. I'm beggining to wonder where WHT is going, but since the Mods and Administration seem to think that there has to be a "Mystery" regarding nearly every decision made I'll have to just wait and see with all us "other" people.
    - Adorno

The post count issue has been ongoing for quite some time now, and before Allan became a moderator. The number of people using the boards hasn't reduced because of it, (maybe marginally, but a tiny margin) The amount of new posts hasn't reduced either, and especially not in the forums where posts don't count.

Originally posted by comphosting
    Reading that makes me wonder if it was a smirk or an actual reply. I'm truely starting to get the feeling that the administration and *some* of the moderation staff really doesn't give a crap about the community's opinions. But, WHT isn't a democracy, so I guess that's life now, but just as a side note, a community without its members isn't really a community. I'm beggining to wonder where WHT is going, but since the Mods and Administration seem to think that there has to be a "Mystery" regarding nearly every decision made I'll have to just wait and see with all us "other" people.
    Actually, it wasn't so much of a smirk as it was a "throwing my hands in frustration and saying, 'please shut up about the friggin post counts already'". Your opinion, and the opinion of the other few dozen people who have complained about posts counts have been duly noted. Now, contrast that against the 30,000+ members who have not complained about the post counts/don't care about the post counts and it tells me that we are listeining to the community.

There is no mystery about post counts: This is a technical forum, posts of a technical nature are in-line with the goals of the forum, so those posts toward increase the little number under your name. Just because you do not like an answer that was given does not mean that an answer has not been given, and this answer has been given ad nauseum.

Actually, it wasn't so much of a smirk as it was a "throwing my hands in frustration and saying, 'please shut up about the friggin post counts already'". Your opinion, and the opinion of the other few dozen people who have complained about posts counts have been duly noted. Now, contrast that against the 30,000+ members who have not complained about the post counts/don't care about the post counts and it tells me that we are listeining to the community.
    Forgive me if my opinion doesn't matter to you Allan, or to the WHT community. I'd highly recommend that if you don't want people to make suggestions that you remove the suggestions forum. It seems rather odd to me that one of the "major" rules around WHT is not to be rude, which in my "opinion" (oh and forgive me again for having one) your little quote there wasn't exactly a nice way to handle it.
    Once again I appologize for having made my opinion public, in this public forum. From now on I won't even visit this topic and WHT can burn in hell for all I care.
    - Adorno

The days of old (When Chicken ruled the roost) are no longer! I believe that post counts didn't become an issue until Chicken was nearing his decision to leave WHT. I have an idea that the reasons he told the community about, were true ok... but it was not the sole reason he did so.

Someone told me recently (when I commented about chicken and how good he was at what he did here), that chicken was an arrogant *bleep - bleep*. It surprised me at first... slowly though, it amazes me that someone can make such a comment, yet act the way they do.

Jan's comment about the fact that the post counts have gone down very little since a few of the almighty mods took them away... should sorta smack those mods in the face. Wasn't the reasoning behind such to stop all of the one lines and smiley face replies? Of course, now that won't be the reason for stopping them. It's all about this being a "technical" community! *cough*

Just like the surge of new moderators were to keep a tighter rein on the advert forums... yet the RO&O and JO&O forums are as bad now, as they once were. I guess that's because certain mods don't feel they 'contribute' to this "technical" forum. Yet a couple of the mods have found use for them when it was needed.

The moderators are 'supposed' to be enforcing the rules... not breaking them at will!

As for allans comment:

Actually, it wasn't so much of a smirk as it was a "throwing my hands in frustration and saying, 'please shut up about the friggin post counts already'".
    You may as well tell those sorry sum******* that are pestering "you" about the post counts to quit pu**ying around.

If you guys want to start cleaning house... start with your own doorsteps first. If the rules state that moderators cannot own a hosting company (or be involved with one)... then get rid of those folks. My strong feeling is that most of the current mods (other than the mini mods that are "allowed because they are only "helping") are lying about this fact... one or two or just don't discuss it.

The old saying of "you have to go along, to get along," is crap. Just as it's crap for our elected officials to have their pockets padded to vote yeah or nay for things... so that they can continue on the under the table payroll of big business.

comphosting... don't sweat the small stuff man. The attitudes thrown in your face only show that there are more "styles of moderations" that should not be welcomed at WHT. I suppose it's all about whose lining what pocket... or who shoots the bigger line of crap.

i for one can honestly say i dont own a hosting company, but i think its public knowledge that some mods do run them but keep them seperate from the forums
    www.microsolder.uk - Microsoldering Services in the UK

And I for one can honestly say, the post count issue is just silly.

Silly, silly, silly.

The decision to take them away was done in haste. The decision to return them should be done in kind.

I've said it before and I'll say it again; if post counts don't matter, let them count. I have seen no valid argument for their removal. I do like their removal from the Lounge though. I just like the idea of being able to post anything (what the Lounge is) and not being accused of padding my post count.

The difference between WHT with Chicken and without, is that what Chicken said was law. Now mods must agree before initiating whatever they feel will better the community. And, being as we're all different, we all don't agree. So, things go undone. Not many things. But this is a prime example.

I don't have a clue what shoney is going on about. It seems like some vague attempt at, yet another, conspiracy theory. What makes a good conspiracy theory is to state an actual conspiracy. But, when your argument is, "it's all about whose lining what pocket... or who shoots the bigger line of crap," it's a little too wide open. It would make a pretty poor movie.

hmmm . . . . "WHT - The Movie."

I'm lible to be flogged for publicly stating an opinion contrary to other moderators, but this is something I feel strongly about.

Return the post counts.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Originally posted by XTStrike
    i for one can honestly say i dont own a hosting company
    Ditto and I don't think my host would even hire me for any tech support, apart from maybe FTP questions Right Gary?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast