Thread: Resller Tips

Talking Resller Tips

A friend and I are planning on starting a webhosting company and starting out on a reseller server. We are experienced in linux/coding/and using webhosting (and I have been a tech for a webhosting company), but we do not know everything that it takes to get started. Might someone direct me to a good source or post some tips? Thanks
    -Patrick Lawson,
    Owner of SQOnline.net

Simply signing up for these forums is one of the best things you could have done.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend you read through many of the threads on this forums. You can see what other host offer, and what people are asking for, and try to adjust yourself accordingly.
    I buy vBulletin licenses and vBSEO licenses!

In my opinion right here on wht is probably your best place for tips and guides about what to look for, what to avoid, best business practices etc...

Good luck!

edit: d'oh, PCplayground got in their just a tad too quick for me... so I'll just echo his/her comments, shall I
    Pia
    Chalice Web at www.chaliceweb.com.au
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting

Yeah, I've had experience here before, a great crowd of people (It's odd how I original found this place, though. I'll elaborate if anyone's interested )
    -Patrick Lawson,
    Owner of SQOnline.net

Elaborate away! Go for it
    Pia

Haha, alright. In reference to a post I posted earlier, I was scammed by my old online boss, blah blah. Paypal fraud, not fun. He had me come here at first to do his advertising. I came here and advertised a few things and finally got promoted to the "tech" level since I was the only one knowledgable on RedHat on his tech team. I decided to come back here several months later because the people seemed fun and there's so much information to be had.
    -Patrick Lawson,
    Owner of SQOnline.net

Hi Nick and/or Patrick (?)

Obviously you are over it now, though! Which is good

I agree with you, on the whole wht is fun and the wealth of info available here is amazing if you're prepared to search and read through the posts.

Enjoy your stay!
    Pia

Oh yeah, This is Patrick This was created for the purpose of starting our company, but I'm the only one that really gets on here. If you're not busy, or if someone else is not busy, I'd like to discuss the legal requirements (in the U.S.) for starting an e-company. I'm only fifteen myself, and Nick is 19 or 20. (Luckily; though, most people wouldn't guess that I am fifteen
    -Patrick Lawson,
    Owner of SQOnline.net

Hi Patrick

So long as you follow good business ethics and operate within the legal guidelines and so forth... good business management speaks for itself

I, myself can't help you with US legal requirements, as I am from Australia... but I am sure someone here will help you out with that info.
    Pia

I'll take that into consideration I'm worried about taxes and contracts and all of that fun stuff. Setting up servers and such would be the easy part for us, as we're both technical coding people, we're not lawyers, though . So if any american business owners wander in here, I'd appreciate it if you drop me a few words of advice/procedure on legal business running.
    -Patrick Lawson,
    Owner of SQOnline.net

Try reseller hosting with cpanel, That will make your life much easier

Yeah, i was planning on using Cpanel. I'm familiar with it. On that topic, can you get WHM on a reseller account or do you need your own server?
    -Patrick Lawson,
    Owner of SQOnline.net

Search is also you friend on these forums, its super to be honest to find so many hosts in the one place.

Originally posted by GnomeIndust
    Oh yeah, This is Patrick This was created for the purpose of starting our company, but I'm the only one that really gets on here. If you're not busy, or if someone else is not busy, I'd like to discuss the legal requirements (in the U.S.) for starting an e-company. I'm only fifteen myself, and Nick is 19 or 20. (Luckily; though, most people wouldn't guess that I am fifteen
    i would not openly admit you are 15 to your customers, on WHT there is a certain stigmata regarding young people running web hosting companies. People have had a lot of bad experiences with them.

Now i'm not saying this would be the same for you, because you have shown a decent head on your shoulders by the questions you have asked in this thread.

Goodluck!

I must admit I am pretty young too 21 in June, I am young I tell ya!

I think it is much better that he is open with his age to be honest with people rather than lying to his customer’s in general it promotes a sense of honesty for his service/solution if not just for himself.

Originally posted by GnomeIndust
    I'm worried about taxes and contracts and all of that fun stuff. So if any american business owners wander in here, I'd appreciate it if you drop me a few words of advice/procedure on legal business running.
    Call an accountant,

They can take care of 99% of the legal business filing needed in the USA and your taxes all in the same place.

Expect it to cost around $250-$500 to get all your legal filing done, of course you can do this without the help of an accountant but its recommended to have a professional deal with these types of things.

Rob
    ResellerChoice.com

Thanks Rob And I understand that most people probably have a certain bias towards younger web hosters because they are often not the most reliable people, but maybe I can change that strereo type just a wee bit Plus, I'm getting a head start in that sense. If I have a profitable company when i get into college I won't have to worry about student loans and all of that stuff, I can concentrate on my studies (Which will be technical computer stuff, so my studies will probably go right back into the company =) )
    -Patrick Lawson,
    Owner of SQOnline.net