Problem with OLM.com's VDS

Anyone have experience with OLM.com's VDS -- Virtual Dedicated Server?

When I tried to look up my ip or domain in my browser, my site would not load -- I get a blank screen... yet I had just ftp a few files minutes before.

I called OLM.com's tech support about it and they restarted my VDS in the control panel... Since, my control panel is web based, I couldn't do this myself and had to depend on tech support to do this on their end.

The tech person said this is normal for apache or their VDS program. I asked how would I be informed if it ever happened again (I'm not going to visit my site everyday just to see if everything shows up), and they said to sign up with a monitoring service. This sounded funny to me because I've never had problems like this using other web hosting companies.

Does this sound strange or normal to anyone?

It doesn't sound so strange to me. Since you are on A VDS, you know have to worry about security issues and downtime (just like a dedicated server). Server monitoring software can monitor specific ports for you, so if port 80 was inaccesible you would be notified without having to check your site everyday. Anyway this is just my opinion, I could be wrong... Good luck!