Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by micro1966 View Post
    Old technology? Given that Apache (at Arvixe) works just fine with SSI, the whole hue and cry of "old technology" is just hokum.
    Arvand says whole of the Arvixe management staff knew about this instance.

Still none of them knew this [if what micro1966 told here is truth]?

It is plain weird.

Quote Originally Posted by qtriangle View Post
    Arvand says whole of the Arvixe management staff knew about this instance.

Still none of them knew this [if what micro1966 told here is truth]?

It is plain weird.
    There were two ways to correct the problem. Alter the Apache configuration or alter the code in the site. Considering the scarcity of using SSI and that this account was residing on a shared server the best solution was to simply fix the code by making it use relative paths.

Working with the code involved I have concluded that we could have easily done that for the client regardless of the exact syntax we would have made it work for them. However that was not an acceptable answer. Many clients are happy with us going to that depth to help them fix a site problem but this one was not.

I don't think that makes us "Ugly" however I accept things were not working out so we parted ways. We offer that option to any client as a guarantee of our good faith to try our services risk free.
    Michael Carr | Support Manager | A2hosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mike-Arvixe View Post
    There were two ways to correct the problem. Alter the Apache configuration or alter the code in the site. Considering the scarcity of using SSI and that this account was residing on a shared server the best solution was to simply fix the code by making it use relative paths.

Working with the code involved I have concluded that we could have easily done that for the client regardless of the exact syntax we would have made it work for them. However that was not an acceptable answer. Many clients are happy with us going to that depth to help them fix a site problem but this one was not.

I don't think that makes us "Ugly" however I accept things were not working out so we parted ways. We offer that option to any client as a guarantee of our good faith to try our services risk free.
    Incredible.

Mike, you just tested SSI on Arvixe's servers, and it worked with my code, using my files. Did you modify the servers to make it work?

Quote Originally Posted by micro1966 View Post
    Incredible.

Mike, you just tested SSI on Arvixe's servers, and it worked with my code, using my files. Did you modify the servers to make it work?
    No server changes were made. I made corrections to the SSI's to make the paths relative instead of being hard coded as was offered in the support ticket.
    Michael Carr | Support Manager | A2hosting.com

My point....

This site was designed about 9 years ago. It needs updating; however, I've told the organization that I'm not going to spend time doing that until they commit to keeping the content on the site fresh to make that redesign worthwhile (I don't get paid to do their site since it's a non-profit organization). Even so, the whole concept of "outdated" technology being the problem is negated by the fact that the technology does work on Arvixe servers without a single change.
    The point I was attempting to make is that technology changes. We cant expect to sit around complacently while advancements are made, and the world moves forward.

There will be technologies that are retired along the way. (Anyone still use an original 8086/8088 based computer daily? I saw one in a museum a few weeks ago...)

Its a fact of life in the tech world. Life changes under our feet and we must adjust.

I have retired certain techs that have required clients to update their sites. As someone else pointed out - FrontPage... Microsoft stopped supporting it, so we withdrew support ourselves. And clients adapted to the new norm.

Its unfortunate that you don't get paid to keep your client site up to date. That doesn't mean the world should stop innovating, improving, and eliminating those older techs which have security issues.

We cant turn a blind eye towards security, or progress.
    Nexus Internet Services http://www.nexus-iservices.com
    Shared Hosting, Virtual and Dedicated Servers, Domain Names, Website Design Build
    Get yourself a piece of the cloud...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12