How much is 20GB of data transfer?

Hello guys,

Well, my question is kinda newbie, but oh well, here I go.

How much, practically, is 20GB of data transfer ? I mean, if I have a website enabled on PHP-Nuke, and I am doing, well, about 200-300 single hits per day? Is the 20GB of data transfer is ok? Also, if I pay monthly, do most hosting companies will reset this amount at each month?

Thanks for the support!

~Karlof

If you only do 200-300 hits per day 20 GB is overkill unless you have downloads or massive sized pictures.

I generally pay $1/gig and up but hosting prices vary from pennies/gig to $5/gig.

Try using this, check the average size of your websites, 10kb? 100kb? depends, and divide 20000 by the average size and you have your number. Correct me if i'm wrong but phpnuke uses more sql?

Generally, your transfer includes files uploaded to the server (via FTP), downloaded (via HTTP), email to and from, (etc.). 20GB of transfer = 20,480MB of data, which means that unless your site transmits more than ~3.41 to ~ 2.27 MB/visitor, you'll be fine. I doubt your transmit that much data per user (though you might offer 5MB files for download and if 4,000 people download that single 5MB file in any given month, you'll be just at your limit for this alone).

And yes, that amount is 'reset' each month.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Cost for who? You or the provider? I'm guessing you (but some might be curious what some providers pay)

I'd say $1.50 - $4 / gb is healty, ensuring a company will make enough profit to be around a while.
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

Providers get them by bulk to bring costs down. I assume $1 - $3 per GB at cost for multihomed. It varies.
    Synergy Blue LLC
    SonataWeb.net | SynergyBlue.com
    USA should so something about: http://www.brillig.com/debt_clock/

yeah, 20 gb is 20,000 mgs~ so it should be enough page hits unless you include downloads...but downloads <1mb will be fine
    All life is an experiment. The more experiments you make the better.

20 gb is actually 20480 mb ...
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

Or 21 474 836 480 bytes
    Nokhrin - http://www.nokhrin.com/
    ~ e-commerce application development

I agree with mpalamar. 200-300 hits per day is verry low ~ 1 hit = 1 image, etc. 20 GB is too much.

20GB of bandwidth for a PHP Nuke site with ~ 200 - 300 hits per day is completely overkill. I have several PHP Nuke customers who use less than 1GB in a month and they receive more traffic than that per day with graphics like this www.codestruction.com
    101sitehosting | Affordable Web and Email Hosting
    Shared | Reseller | 24/7 Support | NSA Free
    SPECIAL OFFER | Contact Us: 1-855-608-6174

Re: How much is 20GB of data transfer?

Originally posted by Karlof

How much, practically, is 20GB of data transfer ? I mean, if I have a website enabled on PHP-Nuke, and I am doing, well, about 200-300 single hits per day? Is the 20GB of data transfer is ok? Also, if I pay monthly, do most hosting companies will reset this amount at each month?
    It's a very rough science but 200-300 hits per day will translate to much less that 20GB - possibly around 5GB. The point is if you come close to your limit and fear getting charged you have a few options available to get your bandwidth back down again.

Yes the amount is reset each month no matter what the billing period is.
    Lawnmower for hire - enquire within