What would u advise to this company..

Lets see,

If you were given the chance to advise a company like Fed Ex for a solution to host their stuff (tracking things) on. What would you advise ? ofcourse maybe a ded. box but where and how and whatever comes in your mind.

Im just doing this to get an idea.

If possible , please give your three best solutions.

(i brought the name fed ex just to give u an example of the size of company. in no way they have contacted me or are they looking for a hosting thing)

for a company as big as fedex dedicated solution would be the best option with a mirror site on shared hosting

Ya and what company would you suggest to them for ded hosting?

talk to IBM or DELL. Usually they will have some finance /buyback offers for high end equipment.

hmm dude ur giving me original ideas. which is good.

I mean you gotta imagine a small company who will be provided these tracking and portal services to a big company (like FedEx) with their equipment and other things . so what should this small company host their portals on.

from what i hear from you.. do u think co location ? getting equipment from ibm or dell and putting it somewhere?

i personally think renting a server would be better, no ? and where to host ?

Yeah, they have at least 25% of offers on each Dell machine they buy. They can bulk purchase IBM machines and colocate it.

For company like Fedex which advice their programmers to code as less spaces as possible, and calculated that those wasted spaces could save them more than million dollars a year, renting servers would probably not gonna be good for them.

It also depends on your budget, if you could state that we may come up with the right solution for you!
    Wordpress website builder (Build Your Own Money Site) and hosting enthusiast. I test cloud hosters for speed :-). Currently working on HIPAA HQ, Let's Grind Some Coffee and Build Your Own Web Store.

Hosting for critical application like FedEx- Tracking is similar to Banking, Stock Brokering websites where small failures means huge lo$$es. So get some one reliable even if its expensive. In the long run you may save more.

About servers there is also the option of refurbished systems if you want to save $.

And check this out at DELL http://www.dellhost.com/

and http://www-3.ibm.com/services/e-business/hosting/
    Last edited by RajanUrs; 05-03-2003 at 04:22 PM.

Originally posted by RajanUrs
    for a company as big as fedex dedicated solution would be the best option with a mirror site on shared hosting
    You've got to be joking. I'm sorry, but Fedex having a mirror on a shared host?

Fedex and other companies with a major internet presence have many dedicated servers, either in their own NOC or an enterprise NOC. They aren't going to run on a Rackshack dedicated server.
    Colin

Try RackSpace..
    Have you Floble'd today?

Isn't dellhost only backed by sprint backbones ? So i dont think it would be wise to recommend them

Ibm looks good. Will have to research them a bit more.

Rackspace : do u think this company will be effected by the amount of spam their servers generate ?

Originally posted by AmericanD
    Isn't dellhost only backed by sprint backbones ? So i dont think it would be wise to recommend them

Ibm looks good. Will have to research them a bit more.

Rackspace : do u think this company will be effected by the amount of spam their servers generate ?
    As for as concerning RackSpace.com: It really depends on what you want to do with the server. If the service relies heavily on sending emails, RackSpace is not the best choice since many ISP's will just block whole blocks of RackSpace's IP's including the ones who are not yet on the black list.
    I can imagine you have to send a lot of mails for updating people on their transporting, so if that is the case, RackSpace would not be your best bet...
    Wordpress website builder (Build Your Own Money Site) and hosting enthusiast. I test cloud hosters for speed :-). Currently working on HIPAA HQ, Let's Grind Some Coffee and Build Your Own Web Store.