Web hosting with Time Warner Cable?

I have a Pocket PC and have been looking for forums for these products. I found a few, but none of them fulfill my needs. Some were promising, but I was either unable to sign up, or it didn't help me with what I was looking for. As a result, I want to help those and allow others to help those who need help with Pocket PCs and PDAs. I am creating a forum right now, and I have run into a few issues.

1)Will I need to leave my computer on day and night in order to host my website?
    2)If so, how bad will my electric bill look at the end of every month?
    3)Can I host a website/forum with Time Warner Cable?(already checked with them they said they didn't know)
    4)Has anybody ever been successful hosting with Time Warner Cable?

Thanks a bunch.

1. Yes.
    2. Similar to how it would if you left your pc on overnight now.
    3. Some ISP's require you to upgrade to a business plan if you turn your home pc into a server of sorts.
    4. Not applicable to me.

Never, ever host with an ISP. You'll be sorry! (And you'll be overpaying.)

That saoi, this is "hosting with TW" but rather using a home internet connection to host the site. That too, is a terrible idea.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

It'll just cost you some $5/month to get a shared hosting to host your forum. It would be much more less hassle than hosting it off your PC at home. I am sure of it.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

Two what if questions

Quote Originally Posted by Venja View Post
    1. Yes.
    2. Similar to how it would if you left your pc on overnight now.
    3. Some ISP's require you to upgrade to a business plan if you turn your home pc into a server of sorts.
    4. Not applicable to me.
    If I put my computer on sleep at night, will people still be able to access my site? Also, will that have less of an impact on my bills?

Quote Originally Posted by IanHulett View Post
    If I put my computer on sleep at night, will people still be able to access my site? Also, will that have less of an impact on my bills?
    No

Generally you're not going to want to host a web server from your home pc unless you're doing it just for testing and/or personal reasons.

You should really buy at least shared hosting. That way it's always online, no matter what you do with your home PC. You'll also have better protection from attackers, ensuring your home connection stays online.

Nope. Hosting your site on your PC would mean more hassle for you and more security risks for your website. Much more $$$ to spend on your end too. Do yourself a favor, go with a shared hosting plan and save yourself from all the trouble.

I found 2 shared hosts

If it's going to be easier, then I'll go via a shared hosting site.

I found 2 so far:

h t t p : / / w w w . s t a b l e h o s t . c o m / s h a r e d - h o s t i n g . p h p
    h t t p : / / a s m a l l o r a n g e . c o m / h o s t i n g / s h a r e d /

Sorry for the unnecessary spaces, but I cannot link to an external website until I have reached 5 posts. I've been through worse.

Are any of these credible?(if you can even get to them)

Can I upload my entire forum to these shared hosting servers? Or will I have to recreate the entire thing there? I want to make sure I'm not going to get ripped off before choosing a site.

I have heard of a website called "No IP" which allegedly hosts your site so you don't need to use your IP address. Is this a shared hosting server? If so, is it reliable?

My personal blogging website is on weebly and over there you can only build one with their editor. You cannot upload that I know of. So, I'm new to this kind of web hosting.
    Last edited by IanHulett; 06-30-2014 at 11:30 PM.

If it's going to be easier, then I'll go via a shared hosting site.

I found 2 so far:

h t t p : / / w w w . s t a b l e h o s t . c o m / s h a r e d - h o s t i n g . p h p
    h t t p : / / a s m a l l o r a n g e . c o m / h o s t i n g / s h a r e d /
    I've used both, and I can say you won't regret going with Stablehost

Can I upload my entire forum to these shared hosting servers? Or will I have to recreate the entire thing there? I want to make sure I'm not going to get ripped off before choosing a site.
    Most likely yes, but just to be sure, what software are you using for your forum?

I have heard of a website called "No IP" which allegedly hosts your site so you don't need to use your IP address. Is this a shared hosting server? If so, is it reliable?
    It's not a shared hosting service.

My personal blogging website is on weebly and over there you can only build one with their editor. You cannot upload that I know of. So, I'm new to this kind of web hosting.
    I'm not entirely sure if you can transfer Weebly-made sites to any other host... as far as I know you can't. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

ASmallOrange is an EIG brand, so I'd steer clear.
    Stablehost, however, is excellent.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by illegit View Post
    Most likely yes, but just to be sure, what software are you using for your forum?
    I'm coding with ConTEXT. According to Google Chrome, it's coming out nicely. I haven't previewed in other browsers yet but it's on my to-do list. I use Blender and Photoshop clones such as Paint.NET for graphics. I'm not sure what to use for databases though, or if I'll even need to use anything since I'm going to use a shared host.

I've used both, and I can say you won't regret going with Stablehost
    Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    ASmallOrange is an EIG brand, so I'd steer clear.
    Stablehost, however, is excellent.

I'll go with StableHost then.

Also, what does EIG mean? This is the first time I've heard or read those initials.

Hmm of course you'll need a db for a forum

Also, what does EIG mean? This is the first time I've heard or read those initials.
    Large corporation who buys out successful web hosts and turns them into garbage.

I have a Pocket PC....
    I'm just impressed about hearing someone with a pocket pc.

Hmm of course you'll need a db for a forum
    Do I need phpmyadmin AND MySQL? Or one or the other?

Do I need phpmyadmin AND MySQL? Or one or the other?
    If you use a third-party forum software phpmyadmin is technically optional (the install script will handle the SQL setup), however phpmyadmin is never a bad tool to have and should be included in most shared packages.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    I'm just impressed about hearing someone with a pocket pc.
    I know, I thought they called those "Smartphones" or "Tablets" now.

What happens when your neighbor cuts your cable line or another company does? 2 or 3 days of downtime. Also, your "upload speed" will be the max speed your server can handle. 2 or 3 Mpbs maybe 4 or 5 if you are lucky.

Been there, got the shirt, won't do that again. If just starting off get a low cost VPS or a reseller plan with a hosting company.
    Carolina Hosting Services
    http://www.carolinahosting.net | @CarolinaHosting | Facebook.com/CarolinaHosting
    VMware | cPanel | Linux | Softaculous | 16 Years Hosting Experience

I'm currently downloading PHP. The issue is,

I'm currently downloading PHP. The issue is that I have IIS6 but my computer is Windows 7. Which PHP should I get? Do I need the one for my IIS, or one for my windows 7 computer?

One more issue. The people who sell MySQL are insane in the membrane. My income isn't between $2,000 to $60,000 dollars. I cannot afford their software. Is there a reliable LEGAL alternative? If not, can I use PHPMyAdmin for my databases? Or is that strictly for PHP?
    Last edited by IanHulett; 07-01-2014 at 01:47 PM.

MySQL Community Download

One more issue. The people who sell MySQL are insane in the membrane. My income isn't between $2,000 to $60,000 dollars. I cannot afford their software. Is there a reliable LEGAL alternative? If not, can I use PHPMyAdmin for my databases? Or is that strictly for PHP?
    YES, they are Insane.... But that's besides the point. You don't need to "Buy" a 'Commercial Grade' MySQL license. Just download the community builds. http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/mysql/

MySQL is available at no cost: http://www.mysql.com/products/community/

PHPMyAdmin is a PHP script that provides a GUI interface for managing MySQL DBs.

Edit: @JanglewoodLLC is quick on the draw today.