Thread: riaa...

riaa...

well, im sure you've all heard that the riaa is now sending instant messages with things like ""are not anonymous and you can easily be identified." . What do you guys think of this practice?

IMHO, I think this has to be the silliest thing the RIAA has done as of yet. I don't see how this is going to deter anybody.

People hardly ever pay for things they can get for free, despite what they say to the contrary. At that point, it should be the RIAA, bands, and indie labels responsibility to make a concerted effort to create things that are worth paying money for, rather than just sit back and hope the dollars will roll in like the old days.
    Not only do I think for myself, I AM myself

I'm not sure that I entirely agree with people rarely paying for what they can get for free... see webhosting.

However, I do think that people will pay for quality and reliability, but only on their terms. I'm not going to pay to download a song if I can't transfer it to inumerable devices or burn it as often as I want to. If I'm paying, I want to have the right to do with it as I please so long as I am not re-distributing it.

I do however, agree... they need to get on the bandwagon and stop crying wolf. Their sales stink because their product stinks. I haven't bought a CD from a major label in almost six years, but I have bought from independent artists and small recording companies because they are putting out the music that matters.

Two cents deposited.
    FatCow Web Hosting.
    www.fatcow.com
    Fast, Reliable and Friendly.
    Now Beefier Than Ever.

Web Hosting is different. Free hosts don't offer the things that a Paid Host offers. (Scripting, More Space, Reliability)

But Mp3's are CD Quality, so I don't think that in today's world, people will be paying for stuff that they can get easily.

Neo,

While I disagree, I think that you have some valid points, but the arguements are not too different. I'd be willing to pay if I knew that I could login to a service and download a CD quality song in it's complete form and use it in anyway I want. As it stands now I need to search and search, download and then check the song to see if it's complete. If it's not then I go through this whole thing again. I also risk viruses and such. I would pay a small fee for the peace of mind and time savings of a "legal" service with a vast library. I don't see it happening anytime soon, but I will support one if it comes to fruition.

Points to you - there will always be people that won't pay for things they can get free, that's the way it is.
    FatCow Web Hosting.
    www.fatcow.com
    Fast, Reliable and Friendly.
    Now Beefier Than Ever.

one thing i dont like about the riaa is how they do always cry wolf. They act as if they're protecting the artist and their work, but at the same time the artist they're protecting are only making a couple cents per album sale while the riaa sits back and make huge profits. I dont know about you guys, but i can buy a 100 blank cdr's for about 14.99. I can get 50 jewel cases for about 5 dollars, and if i wanted to print up sleeves/covers, im sure i would be paying about 3-10 cents per sleeve/cover. This gives us a grand total of less then one dollar for the entire cd. Of course i didnt include shipping, mastering fee's, recording cost. I think alot of people are having a hard time justifing paying over 15 bucks for a cd with one good song on it, or even 6.99 for a single. I rather have the artist make more money, reduce the cost of the cd, get rid of the riaa... i almost guarentee records sales will do even better. For now, i mostly listen to indy artist and when i do need to buy a album...i buy it used...

these are kinda funny:

Record Industry ******** of America.
    Rich Idiots Abusing Artists.
    Really Irritating Anal Aneurisms
    Raping Independent Artists Anally
    Record Industry Always Antagonizes

Well, I am not a big music downloader, mostly older music I download. But I always find it without a problem. And if you want a paid service. Go with http://madster.com

But Yes, I see your point.

Anyone happen to know the name they use

Here's one for the history books, I actually agree with case. Personally, I believe their massive lobby is the only reason they haven't been investigated for price fixing.

Anyone remember the cereal pricing fixing in the early 80's? Wonderful phenomenon called monopolistic competition, happens when there's only a handful of real competitors, oligopolistic cartels really (5 with RIAA, 3 in the case with Cereal), and they can easily collaborate to screw Joe Sixpack.