* Need some advice about a Gateway PC

A friend's Gateway conveniently went *POFF* about 4 months after the warrantee expired.

She was charged $100 for the Gateway techs to see what is wrong with the whole thing. Five days later, the estimate comes:

1. dead motherboard
    2. dead power supply
    3. dead sound card

They want to charge her $400+ to install new items as needed. Clear rip-off.

What I need to know - she has an Athlon motherboard btw, but I don't have the exact specs yet - do Gateways use proprietary RAM? Or the regular PC133/DDR will do (depending on the system).

What I want to do is basically buy a new motherboard, PSU and soundcard and install the CPU / RAM from the dead Gateway. Also, would the old HD pose major problems when new chipset etc is encountered?

Thanks for your feedback!

Timechange,

My experience with any gateway 4 years old or newer has been that they use standard RAM and can be transferred to another manufacturers motherboard. The hard drive should be fine, it's the OS that may have a problem with the chipset. If the OS is PNP capable, like with 98, ME, 2000 and XP, it should autodetect the chipset changes and either install the drivers if the OS has them, or prompt for the drivers. If it is Windows NT, your best bet will be to reinstall once the hard drive is in the new computer. Hope this helps.

Thanks svdorr - the OS is Win2k

I would get the computer back, see what's in it, and *then* start planning to build it. No telling what it used, unless you can look up the RAM specs on crucial.com (they have nice drop down boxes where you choose the manufacturer, model, etc., and it tells you what RAM it needs). For example, the Gateway's mobo that I have only takes registered RAM, though you are changing the mobo so it might not matter. Thus this question can't be answered yet:
    What I need to know - she has an Athlon motherboard btw, but I don't have the exact specs yet - do Gateways use proprietary RAM? Or the regular PC133/DDR will do (depending on the system).
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Absolutely, that's what I plan to do. Thanks Chicken

When I was in school I was a lead tech for gateway 2k (5.5 years ago) but... They use all prop. stuff. They don't use anything special, just standard ram, nvidia video cards etc. etc.
    James R. Clark II

I'm not sure I would bother rebuilding it. I've worked for Gateway as a technician and would never let a friend buy a Gateway.

If you're going to go to the trouble of building anything, just start from scratch or visit Dell.com and let them build it. I just got myself a sweet deal on a Dell box, the prices are right.
    FatCow Web Hosting.
    www.fatcow.com
    Fast, Reliable and Friendly.
    Now Beefier Than Ever.

No, I didn't say I'd rebuild the Gateway, just plan to use the RAM/CPU/HD/Video card.

Ah, sorry, my bad. Personally, I'd still get a new box and ditch the remaining parts.
    FatCow Web Hosting.
    www.fatcow.com
    Fast, Reliable and Friendly.
    Now Beefier Than Ever.

I've had really bad experiences with gateway tech support. My sisters computer broke, and it was like $100 to scan for a virus. If they find a virus, and you don't wanna pay. They won't click the big button that says "Remove", and refuse to work on the computer. I understand they have to clean it for viruses..but $100#$K#$..

Crazyness..
    * Best Web Hosting - Submit your host to our directory and become one of our top 10 web hosts.

Well her budget is well below the $400 so I will buy a $80-$100 motherboard with onboard sound & a PSU (another $30 or so).