• no

5 50.00%
  • dont' know or care

2 20.00%

will virgina's new anti-spam laws make a difference

yes
    no
    don't know or care

They will for AOL, they are behind a lot of Anti-Spam.
    Sitekeeper
    Google

They will because the fact that this is happening means that the powers that be have decided to act.

Warning: If they can get so cocky about beating the spammers I wonder what else they're going to try and legislate. I prefer the "can of worms" Internet myself...???
    Lawnmower for hire - enquire within

Does this felony count as a strike where they have three strikes laws? I think a felony is too harsh. Don't get me wrong, I dislike SPAM as much as anyone else, but I also dislike kneejerk legislation.

How many people in the US does SPAM really affect? A small percentage. Think of the legal ramifications of this law. A person picks up his second felony for SPAMing. Sure to be prison time involved, after all 2 felonies = prison time for sure. But wait, we have overcrowded prisons anyway because of our archaic drug laws. So you have to let out rapists and muggers to make room for the SPAmer.

Sounds funny, but that is exactly what happened when they got tough on drugs. I would rather live next door to a SPAMer or a pot head than a rapist or burgalar anytime. Call me paranoid. I don't feel that this is the solution to a problem that only affects a small portion of the population anyway.
    Dale Poncy
    Retired from Zana Web Hosting

good luck, american law doesnt apply in canada.....or any other country for that matter.

Forged spam is illegal in many states anyways and has that made a difference? NO!

Maybe if they start enforcing it it might make a difference but "mission impossible" comes to mind and I can see alot of problems arising :- like the wrongly accused spending time behind bars. Rather ridiculous I'd say.

Perhaps it is flawed, but it's not just a small step in the right direction, but a giant leap down the right path.

Perhaps the law cannot be enforced outside the US borders, but a good majority of spam comes from US servers, with most the rest coming from Asia. The fact is that while this law may not be able to do anything from our fun Korea breast enlargement ads, it will make it harder for spammers to get their messages out. US servers are the cheapest and if they start enforcing this law inside the US, then spammers will be forced to go elsewhere.

Thus, that will mean an end (if this is enforced) to people using open relays, US accounts and such, which means that spammers will have to spend more money on more expensive overseas hosting.

This has been a long time coming and I hardly consider it to be kneejerk legislation. I'm not the biggest fan of AOL, but they have dealt with spam enough to be able to suggest to lawmakers what needs to be done.

Additionally, this is just a first step. If a country sees that this is working, then I'm sure others will follow our lead, which will make it tougher for these people to operate. Forcing these people to not only have to send spam from Asia, but also host their websites there as well is going to put a dent in their business. I'm sure that most of us here have visited a site based in Asia and if you're in the US or Canada, then you know that the sites are extremely slow to load.

Besides, if it didn't make a difference for the spammers then why would they fight it? They obviously see the warning signs and what it is going to mean for their bottom line.

As far as something only affecting a small percentage of the population, I think that this is something that affects nearly everyone on the Internet. I would hardly consider that to be a small percentage of the population. I would also hardly consider this to be a minor problem. I just checked some statistics and on one server alone, there have been 4,544 messages that have been rejected by spam/virus filters since April 15.

My server resources, space and bandwidth are being "mugged" every day by these people.
    www.square-network.com www.squarenetwork.com
    Now available in regular and dehyphenated.
    May 2003 Member of the Month
    Useless Community Liason Ever Since.

Won't make any measurable difference whatsoever.
    I thank my Lord for all His wonderful blessings.