* Looking into MiniDisc's, what do you know?

Well..

Here is the scoop, my Sony Discman gave out on me a week or so ago, no point in fixing it, I already know it will cost me more to fix it then just replace it, As with most technology…

I was looking into MiniDisc players from Sony. They look very appealing to me, Small, compact. I’m looking into the MZN 707L model, looks great to me. Especially when I can pick one up on eBay for 250 CND instead of 330 (plus tax). But I have a few questions, I’m a quality fanatic, 95% of my MP3’s are 256+ kbps and I’m wondering, would the minidisk play my amazing quality back?

I know they user there own format for compression, and the disk’s say 80 minutes, but I have herd you can put more then 80 min on a disk? Is it almost like placing MP3’s on a CD were you are limited by data space and not length (smaller quality MP3’s means more music?)

Also, If I were to purchase a MiniDisc off EBay, and its brand new, How would the warranty work? Would I just take it in to a local place that sells them and ask them to replace it? Or strait to the manufacture? Or am I screwed if something messes up.

Thanks,

-.> modle Im looking at http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...d=&newdeptid=9
    iPhone 4 HD Wallpapers - High Quality 640x960 iPhone 4 Wallpapers

I bought a Minidisc player MZN-505 (http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...d=&newdeptid=9) mid last year and it's great (although the CDN models seems different to the AUS model - mine has rechargeable battery, headphone remote, and some of the other no features).

If you use the LP4 mode you can fit around 4-5 hours of music on one disc with a small quality reduction (personally it doesn't bother me). However, if you want the full quality (320kbps IIRC) then you use normal play.

The battery life is excellent. However, the LP4 quality mode will give more battery life than the normal mode.

Back in December I went on holidays - it was a 12 hour drive (I wasn't driving). The minidisc player lasted the whole way (I have 6 discs of music so it wasn't like I was repeating the music).

I don't know how the warranty works - that would be something you would need to take up with the seller.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Thanks, Not noticeable on the quality? Good to here..

I also spotted that Sharp makes MD's (I was under the impression just Sony did) and saw there MD-DR7 (http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sharp_MD-DR470+DR7.html)
    Looks like a pretty good.. and cheaper by about 100 bucks. But I know from experience, cheap isn’t great, and sharp's products aren’t as solid as Sony,

Just remember that only the NetMD players have the ability to connect to your computer to transfer music, etc. over. (AFAIK).

The one you provided a link to only has Line in, Mic and Optical so if you wanted songs on it you would have to transfer them over manually using your computers line out.

You'll also notice that a variety of companys make the actual discs themselves. I personally have 3 Sony discs (in different colours) and 3 TDK discs.

-SHaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Good Info,

Didnt even notice the NetMD...

Thanks

Check out the ipod from apple. It may be priced the same, plus no discs, just the nice ipod .

Do you need a Apple to transfer songs? or is it now windows Capable? (I belive it wasnt at one time?)

Nm.. Googled and found my answer

Anyway, quick glance and the iPod and its not for me...
    MD or bust

I have the same one that you are looking to buy (Except my headphones controller has a screen; I got it in Scotland) and it is quite possibly one of my best purchases ever. It is a Net MD and comes with the OpenMG Jukebox program for transferring music from your computer to your MD. The quality from Normal mode -> LP4 is not noticeable to me, I made an 81 track disc yesterday. The only downside is when you are exporting to the MD via USB. You must firstly import your *.mp3s etc into OpenMG where they are then converted into ATRAC which can be slighlty annoying if you are impatient. However, through the high speed USB transfer you can get 32x the regular recording speed.

If you have any more questions just ask
    Mark Barron
    [PHP] Incite Designs
    mark@incitedesigns.net

Originally posted by IDNet
    which can be slighlty annoying if you are impatient.

Nothing at the moment, although coments are great Thank you everyone so far, keep them coming

I dumped my MP3 player in exchange for my MD players.

I have two:

1. Sony MZ-R500 :: http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-R500.html
    Got this guy for $30 off of eBay "refurbished". Came in all factory packing and box. Looks amazing and sounds great. Only does LP2 + LP4, no NetMD. Which is ok for me, but, I wanted NetMD, so, I logged back on to trusty eBay, and got.....

2. Sony MZ-505R http://www.minidisc.org/part_Sony_MZ-N505.html
    $51 (including shipping) on eBay NEW. Love it. I hate the Sony Software's control over your MP3s (the check-in/check-out crap), but, I'm loving it. I use LP2 for all of my MP3s and can't even notice a difference in sound quality, and keep in mind that I work in music and deal with it in an almost studio environment daily. I usually can get 3 - 4 hours of music on one disc (using LP2), depending on the bitrate of the MP3. The Sony software is a bit buggy, but, after an hour or so, I got it working right. Just use SonicStage, screw their Open MG junk.

I'm truly happy with my MD and it looks damn cool, especially with a backlit remote

I have a sony minidisc/CD combo that works awesome. I don't think there's any real signal loss that's super noticeable. Plus, minidisc makes it super easy to index things, not to mention its a lot harder to get them to skip.
    Not only do I think for myself, I AM myself

Wow, what model number is that? An MD/CD combo? Portable? Niiiiiiiiiiice.

I use a minidisc recorder/remixer in my home studio for recording. I would prefer a dat, but the sound quality is similiar.. with the coax and optical in's out's and through's. As far as day to day listening, i would just get another cd player, they're cheap and the standard format for listening to music.

I personally like my MP3 player with its 15gb hard drive better than my MD player, however I do like the attention recieved when someone sees the little MD's. It seems minidisc is still "new" to most of us Americans:-p
    Jordan Bouvier

Looks like I made the right decision about going strait to the MD instead of MP3, Thought 128 or 256 sticks were just a waist and expensive compared to a MiniDisk Disk.

I've had a minidisc player for quite a while, it's a sony and still works really well, I love it.

I also have a MP3 player which I don't use as much (because the media is so expensive!)

Basically MD's compression ATRAC is better than that of MP3, You obviously cannot get better quality than your source (so that would be your CD). My parents stereo has an optical output on it which records very very clean music and adds trackmarks automatically. For my computer though, I just use a 3.5 -> 3.5 plug which give excellent quality!

Another thing to add, I transfered the same song (mp3) to my MP3 player (creative nomad) and to my minidisc player. The minidisc player outputs the sound far better (used the same headphones as well )

i'd say in this day and age harddisk based media players are the way to go. most support multiple compression formats (wma, mp3, mp4) and allow you to store files.

the ipod actually lets you connect it as a virtual drive to your computer and you can drag/drop the files in you file explorer and they have a pc version now too.

also creative have a 60gb player out now called the zen which is cheaper than the 30gb apple ipod and is getting some nice reviews.

i just think its very useful because if you needed to backup your computer you can dump your files onto your music player and just put them back after you have formatted or done whatever you needed to.