Smile Web site building sofware. WebEasy Pro, other? Willing to learn progressively

Hello,

This is kind of follow up on the posting I just made about choosing a Web Host that is right for me. However, could be answered separately.

I want to design my Web site myself. What software would you recommend? I have no programming experience and want something very simple. I would like to be able to see some result within 1 hour to 2 hours of work.

In addition, can I start with a simple program like Web Easy Pro and graduate to Front Page and programs that are more complicated later? I am wiling to learn.

Is Web Easy pro a good program? I read good reviews. Alternatively, what else can you recommend in the $25 to $70 range.

Thank you!

Pierre

Well let's see..

I myself am new to web building and am in your situation..

However, I'm still a student, so I don't have money to burn on books and software and such.. which is why the net is used..

If you don't mind spending some time, search around the net for some quick HTML tutorials. (I'm saying basic HTML becuase you want something simple right? Not about to suggest PHP or anything..)

webmonkey.com is a nice place to start.
    There are tons others, but it's way too late for me to be utilizing my brain for memory purposes right now, so go on google.com and search away. As for actual editing, you can get some free HTML editors. I use HTML-Kit (www.chami.com/html-kit/).
    just fire it up and input some code and hit preview.

I'd assume free is well below your $25 margin which is good.. hehe

However, for retail things, I'll leave it up to the more experienced users..

Just my two cents..

Hi,
    I would suggest for beginning, to go with netscapes composer. It is free.
    It is like front page, as you can see the page as you build it, then it will upload it to your site when your ready.

However,
    Go to a place like he mentioned above, and also I might suggest
    http://bignosebird.com - has great beginner tutorials as well.

You defanately want to learn the basics then start on your site.

Good luck,

Tim L
    Superior Host LLC - Quality Web Hosting since 1998
    We really do support you like no other
    Secure, ultra reliable hosting
    Website Maintenace Plans and a Personal Level of Support

The best place for a beginner to learn is with basic HTML which is a lot easier than you think.
    Go to http://www.pagetutor.com and go through the first few free tutorials.
    Then buy the book "HTML for the World Wide Web" by Elizabeth Castro and published by PeachPit Press. That's all you need.
    If you can find an old copy of Homesite kicking around, use that, too. It has coding help.
    http://www.notetab.com is a free help for writing html.
    Without any knowledge of basic html you're going to be at the mercy of what a WYSIWYG editor does to your pages. All need tweaking to look good in all browsers.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

as an old html dog (did my first html page in 1994 !!)

I recommend the following

1) read some of the many html tutorials on the web
    2) start writing your own html pages and check out the results in your browser (they can all load local html files that you write on your computer
    3) a word of warning !!! composer, frontpage, macromedia dreamweaver and other programs that lets you make html pages are called wysiwyg programs (what you see is what you get ).

They will make html pages for you quickly but I consider them to be wysiayg (what you see is ALL you get) they can be pretty dumb and add a lot of extra html tags that are not needed and if you really get stuck you will, of course have to edit raw html.

best to learn the basics using a simple text editor (vi,emacs,notpad) and manually type in the tags. At least you will then learn html and not simply how to use a html creation program.!!!

4) use the "view source" button on your browser!!! its there for a reason. If you see a good website and you want to know how they did a particular thing in html simply press view source to see the underlying html (javascript, aswell..although php,jsp and asp may have rendered it)

hell the web was designed to allow free exchange of inforomation. you can save any html file you see on the web and edit the html. (not getting into a debate on copyright on that one)

5) enjoy !!!

hololi

Thumbs up

Thank you very much for the responses I have received.

I agree that learning HTML is important and will go on the sites that were recommended to me.

I know a lilltle bit of HTML having posted on Ebay and I am ready to learn more.

I would however prefer to buy a Web page creator program that is very simple to use ansd then tweak it with HTML. I assume that most software allows you to see the HTML codes they have created.

Can anyboody recommended a good program ($25 -$70 range)?

If I may say so "use anf learn HTML" is a typical Guru response and have heard it before from Webmasters that I had hired.

For a novice, it is very satisfying to see results fast (within an hour or two) and then learn HTML.

Thanks!

Pierre

DreamWeaver is awesome.. I'm not sure how much it costs these days, but it's worth a look.
    Have you Floble'd today?

Thank you Sanjiv, Dreamweaver is over $300, Front page is $100, but besides the price, I am looking for something that is very easy to use. I am really a novice!

Pierre

I think you can download a copy of Dreamweaver TRIAL from the Macromedia website ... www.macromedia.com ... I started my HTML honeymoon with Dreamweaver and went on to Dreamweaver Ultradev ... But once you learn some actual HTML i recommend a TEXT based editor ....
    Chris Saunders
    Network Administrator / Consultant
    North Shore Internet
    www.northshoreinternet.com.au