Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lightbulb What invention are you waiting for?

I wish they could invent something that looked and felt like glass and was cheap but didn't always break into pieces and cause cuts etc. It would be useful as a container for beer. Why has this not been invented yet?

Is there any invention that you're waiting for?
    Lawnmower for hire - enquire within

Toolz... what the plastic beer bottles aren't good enough for you?
    FatCow Web Hosting.
    www.fatcow.com
    Fast, Reliable and Friendly.
    Now Beefier Than Ever.

No can't stand - I don't think I've drunk out of plastic since I was at uni. They feel awful and make the beer taste awful...

Well, I'll give you that there is a difference in taste, but I disagree that it makes beer non-potable.

There is really nothing quite as satisfying as a good beer in a hefty pint glass.

mmmm.... beer.
    FatCow Web Hosting.
    www.fatcow.com
    Now Beefier Than Ever.

Originally posted by RanchHand
    mmmm.... beer.
    Long day at the ranch huh?

not a bad idea......why not beer mugs from toughened glass....just like use in automobile windscreens....at the worst it may crack up but never shatter into pieces........so you can drink while driving

Oh wait... wait just a minute... even better. Beer in those mylar pouches that you can stick a straw into. CapriSun used them, but I don't even know if they still make that stuff.
    FatCow Web Hosting.
    www.fatcow.com
    Now Beefier Than Ever.

A female android with measurements 38-26-38 who drinks beer, likes sports, doesn't mind if I leave the seat up and who never asks me "What are you thinking?".

A female android with measurements 38-26-38 who drinks beer, likes sports, doesn't mind if I leave the seat up and who never asks me "What are you thinking?".
    Whats with that question anyway!

Originally posted by HostSonic
    and brings beer in unbreakable glasses :-D
    Off Topic Web Forum - A forum for talking about anything!!
    N.Z. Webmaster Community - Are you from New Zealand? Well signup to our forum!!!!

Back in my sports reporting days I took a local male, who was involved in amateur sports, to lunch to do an interview. It lasted about 2 hours and as wel left the restaurant I thanked him for his time.
    He said the pleasure was all his and that, in fact, I'd fulfilled a fantasy of his in regard to his dream date, specifically:
    1. I asked him out, picked the restaurant, arrived there by myself and picked up the check.
    2. I did not try to talk about myself at all but encouraged him to do all the talking.
    3. I never tried to change the subject when he got involved in long detailed narratives about the sport he is passionate about. Quite the contrarary, I took notes and asked questions.
    3. Not once did the word "relationship" pass my lips.
    He said it was a memory he would treasure forever.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

Car windshield is not toughened glass or anything close to glass (sand based - SiO3..) softened glass maybe.

It's made from 2 layers of polymer (PMM - Poly Methyl Metacrylate or PMA Poly Methyl Acrylate) with one (or more) layer of glue (another polymer) in between so that the shatters are kept together when hit.

If it's toughened glass it will break into fewer pieces but at higher speed and chop everything in the car off instantly..

but drinking from plastic or glass definitely has a difference..

ML

Originally posted by madmouser
    Back in my sports reporting days I took a local male, who was involved in amateur sports, to lunch to do an interview. It lasted about 2 hours and as wel left the restaurant I thanked him for his time.
    He said the pleasure was all his and that, in fact, I'd fulfilled a fantasy of his in regard to his dream date, specifically:
    1. I asked him out, picked the restaurant, arrived there by myself and picked up the check.
    2. I did not try to talk about myself at all but encouraged him to do all the talking.
    3. I never tried to change the subject when he got involved in long detailed narratives about the sport he is passionate about. Quite the contrarary, I took notes and asked questions.
    3. Not once did the word "relationship" pass my lips.
    He said it was a memory he would treasure forever.
    That's some funny stuff there.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

Originally posted by nmluan
    Car windshield is not toughened glass or anything close to glass (sand based - SiO3..) softened glass maybe.

It's made from 2 layers of polymer (PMM - Poly Methyl Metacrylate or PMA Poly Methyl Acrylate) with one (or more) layer of glue (another polymer) in between so that the shatters are kept together when hit.

If it's toughened glass it will break into fewer pieces but at higher speed and chop everything in the car off instantly..

but drinking from plastic or glass definitely has a difference..

ML
    http://www.glassonline.com/dictionary/399.html

Toughening Special process of solidification of a glass sheet in order to make it particularly resistant to breakages. The process may be physical (thermal) or chemical. In the former, the glass sheet is heated to a temperature just below its softening point and then immediately cooled by special jets of cold-air. These harden the surface of the glass, giving the inside more time to cool. This allows the external layer to crystallize into a wider lattice while the inside solidifies with greater compression than in the crystal lattice. The result is a sheet of glass which is two or three times stronger than untempered glass and which, upon breakage, shatters into tiny pieces with blunt edges (the most common applications are for automotive glass).

http://uk.geocities.com/dj_jimbo_b/physics/use.htm

Use of toughened glass

Toughened glass is used in many applications.
    Car windscreens is one example. Toughened glass is often used in vehicle windscreens because of the way it behaves if it is broken. When normal glass breaks in a carr accident, it often breaks into several quite large pieces of glass, often with sharp, jagged edges, which can add to the severity of an accident. Sometimes smaller pieces of this broken glass fly into the cabin of the vehicle at quite a high speed as the glass is broken, which can cause serious injury to any persons inside the car.
    Toughened glass will not break in such a way. A toughened glass windscreen will shatter into many small pieces with small, dull edges

http://www.chem.latech.edu/~hji/poly...23/19oct23.htm

Poly(methyl methacrylate), (PMMA), is a clear plastic, used as a shatterproof replacement for glass. The barrier at the ice rink which keeps hockey pucks from flying in the faces of fans is made of PMMA. The chemical company Rohm and Haas makes windows out of it and calls it Plexiglas. Ineos Acrylics also makes it and calls it Lucite. Lucite is used to make the surfaces of hot tubs, sinks, and the ever popular one piece bathtub and shower units, among other things.

Re: What invention are you waiting for?

Originally posted by Toolz
    I wish they could invent something that looked and felt like glass and was cheap but didn't always break into pieces and cause cuts etc. It would be useful as a container for beer. Why has this not been invented yet?

Man, I don't know how you drink a beer but I don't ever remember my beer bottle breaking into pieces and cutting me. I am going to have to go party with you and see what you are doing wrong.
    Dale Poncy
    Retired from Zana Web Hosting

I can't wait till they invent the 3 Ghz computer...hmmmm ok maybe I can wait But I'd have to say..........a shrink ray like in Honey I Shrunk the Kids.

Re: Re: What invention are you waiting for?

Originally posted by dapon
    Man, I don't know how you drink a beer but I don't ever remember my beer bottle breaking into pieces and cutting me. I am going to have to go party with you and see what you are doing wrong.
    Glass actually - and it was while I was washing it! I'm quite happy with my beer drinking technique, however you're still welcome!

Longhorn and a new carton installation for coke for fridges... Oh wait, its already out there.
    Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

Re: Re: Re: What invention are you waiting for?

Glass actually - and it was while I was washing it! I'm quite happy with my beer drinking technique, however you're still welcome!
    Well, it doesn't mean we can't go party sometime.
    Dale Poncy

Originally posted by Neo3Net
    I can't wait till they invent the 3 Ghz computer...hmmmm ok maybe I can wait
    P4 3.06ghz is out...been out for awhile now.
    Can you be scared half to death twice?

Re: What invention are you waiting for?

Unlimited space and bandwidth!

Re: Re: What invention are you waiting for?

Originally posted by Westech
    Unlimited space and bandwidth!
    What do you mean. That's available all over WHT. Everyone offers unlimited everything. This is the future.
    Dale Poncy

forget beer ..
    I'm waiting for the replicator and holosuite from star track. I'd then replicate some beer (in a glass) and enjoy a few pints in my holosuite

oops...meant "trek" not track

not enough beer I think

how about an bottomless beer keg ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast