Arrow Can you help me build an AWESOME PC?

Ok, a mate of mine set me a challenge. Basically, I've got a lot of time on my hands and he has little and he wants to buy a new computer. I'll get his old computer as payment... it's a POS but, eh, it's still better than my current one.

Anyway, I'll be putting the computer together myself and he's got OS CD's so the only cost is hardware.

His only real concern is games. The only exception to this is that he wants a 17" LCD of reasonable quality. Things like DVD burners aren't an issue although a DVD drive (for movies really) is essential.

The reason I'm asking is because I simply haven't kept up to date with the latest and greatest and I figure there's a lotta computer geeks here (that's a compliment, we should be proud of our geekiness!) so I'll get heaps of responses since what else do computer geeks like to talk about other than computers?

Thanks in advance.

it would be helpful to say what your budget is...
    Gone.

Indeed what is your budget?
    MrWatchDawg
    Http://www.tech-critic.com
    tccom@tech-critic.com
    AIM: MrWatchDawg

Hrm, I avoided that on purpose because of the different currencies and the variances on individual product prices between the US and here (Australia).

A rough limit would be about $1000 to $1500 USD

It can be done no problem. In my area there are local vendors who we have wholesale accounts with, so I get low prices without paying shipping.

I came up with this for someone else, but it should still give you an idea. Just add a larger hard drive and the monitor.

http://webhostingtalk.com/showthread...00#post1100383
    -Bruce

I buy all my parts from tcwo.com

Originally posted by Atheist
    I buy all my parts from tcwo.com
    He's Down Under.
    -Bruce

Actually, I'm on top. It's all a matter of perspective

Thanks for the feedback. That other thread was very useful. I'll be using that breakdown as a guide for my search around the various dealers.

I did notice something that seems to have changed since I last investigated this option (which admittedly was over five years ago), PC processors require HEAPS of fans. What's with that?

No, a processor only requires one fan. HDDs, video cards, etc., also need cooling, so that's hwere case fans come into play.
    -Bruce