CDN vs multiple cloud instances

Hi,
    If you have to create a website that you know will be visited by different parts of the word, is it better to have a simple CDN or multi vm sparse across the world?
    I would like to do the second choice but the problem is to synchronize the contents since are all dynamic pages and due to the latency a sql cluster is impossible to do like a DFS. I considered even an object storage, but the latencies are too high from europe to US for example.
    Have you any idea about which could be the best solution in this case?

I'd say CDN is always the best solution.
    It is established, simple to implement and manage and in most cases cheaper (or waaaay cheaper) than implementing anything on your own.

What kambone said!
    BillingServ - Easy, simple, and hassle-free online invoicing solution. Contact us today.
    BaseServ Certified to ISO/IEC 27001:2017

Having multiple servers in various locations will increase the:
    - sysadmin overhead for this servers
    - the billing overhead of paying multiple providers
    - the management overhead to upgrade / downgrade per region servers etc
    - the possibility to choose non-reliable providers on non-reliable networks because the major concern will be locality and not quality.

It is a trend in the market to offer servers in various locations around the world and by that trend many customers believe that this is the proper way.

I believe that the most efficient thing to do in the 99% of the occasions is to use a CDN. That way, you can:
    a) Get a server from your preferred provider (based on reliability and other aspect that matter to you) around the world
    b) Maintain and manage one server
    c) Let the CDN or the CDNs do the rest of the work for you

We've experienced various situations where clients want servers in various places. Some practical examples we rise in using a CDN vs multiple servers and location is Facebook or Google. They don't have servers or Infrastructure in every place on this planet, they mostly use CDN.
    | | MassiveGRID.com - The High Availability Cloud Provider with Global Coverage
    | | Equinix Datacenters, Fully Redundant Power, Network & Enterprise Grade Hardware
    | | High Availability PaaS, Cloud Dedicated Servers & Private Cloud Hosting with 100% Uptime SLA
    | | 17 years of excellence, 17 years of support, [b]17/b] years of speed, stability and evolution!

I had a custom setup with VPS all across the globe to act as a CDN. It was great, until I got tired of having to setup all the servers and the bills started to add up. I had it setup as well to not redirect to a server if that server seemed to be down, so maintaining uptime was not much of a issue. I finally got a CDN (from WireSix, which uses OnApp) and now all I have to do is upload the files to a FTP and its done.
    Little Apps
    Open Source Software

Ok, I will put away my idea of using multiple vm and I will check for a cdn or two...
    My sysadmin part wanted to have many vm to manage but I have to agree with you, could be many problems in that kind of setup.

Thanks guys Appreciated help!

Quote Originally Posted by blackms View Post
    Ok, I will put away my idea of using multiple vm and I will check for a cdn or two...
    My sysadmin part wanted to have many vm to manage but I have to agree with you, could be many problems in that kind of setup.

Thanks guys Appreciated help!
    A CDN will be a lot easy...And if you plan on having a few servers..you a thing in place which takes the user to the close server they are new.
    Can you ask him why he wants to use a few vm's?

Quote Originally Posted by Linkiepoo View Post
    Can you ask him why he wants to use a few vm's?
    They say that they prefer to have control over the infrastructure so that troubleshooting will be easier and is more elastic in this way since you can create and delete vm via the API of the various cloud providers, so they were planning to implement an auto-scaling system.

With most CDN solution if you server goes down all dynamic content will be unavailable, so having multiple servers in different part of the internet and redirecting the request to the nearest one if available while complex it is a good solution depending on your budget

Global Traffic Dircetion to installations in regions close to your users (even say one install in Europe and one in the USA, with failover between them) is the ideal for apps like that.

A CDN helps, but will only cache static content anyway (flat pages, media, images, etc).

Well, in the end We choose to adopt a distributed multi vms setup, since the benefit of a CDN for us is not so good and neither the price.

I think you must check for gwan too before getting a decision

I'm going to try it, seems really awesome.