Invison Board Skinz, what would you pay?

Just thought i'd the questions,

I've been skinning a few of my own boards as test's and i was wondering what people would pay for custom skins,

There would be 2 different kinds, 1st would be the Skins that would be resold time and time again and the second would be a total custom skin where you would be the only person with it,

Just wondering what you would pay for it,
    I dont have any smaples just asking the questions,

I guess you have to look at who's buying

vBulletin skins tend to go for quite a few hundred dollars (and up) , but as the general stereotype, these people actually purchased vB, and therefor are probably more likely to be able to fork out more for addons and skins.

But i'm sure if you can make good skins for I*** it'd be a nice little revenue maker, there's not many around I can really think of, it's just waiting for someone to do it and advertise properly

Paid for skins for free software?

There are a lot of skins available for free for Invision forums and they are not all that hard to create....

Yea there are a few free ones, but they are mostly just colored editing on the old colors. i mean something like this

http://www.vbskins.com/demo/indexorbitz.htm
    or this
    http://www.vbskins.com/demo/indexorbitz.htm

Originally posted by Watcher_TVI
    Paid for skins for free software?

There are a lot of skins available for free for Invision forums and they are not all that hard to create....

I would pay probley $50 bucks out becasue i like IPB over VB.. probley a little cheap $50 normaly i would say $100 bucks..

Like anything else you may find people to pay you for it but like I said, they are not all that hard to make nor are they worth that kind of money IMO.

Watcher_TVI have you ever tried to make a skin before?
    from what you are saying i dout you have,

lol

I worked out a deal with someone I know to do 3 skins for me for a decent price. Each skin cost under $50.

They are good quality skins with custom graphics. I am not sure how much these would of cost if I bought them from a company..

Example: http://www.thesobertruth.com/

Originally posted by AdminWHF
    Watcher_TVI have you ever tried to make a skin before?
    from what you are saying i dout you have,
    See for yourself there is a light skin on that site as well and there are a few other skins made for other sites. All the graphics and buttons sets are custom and original. Like I said, they are not that hard to make....

I paid $35 dollors for my IPB theme which was custom made for me and my site to match the layout. It can be seen at http://www.tech-critic.com/forum and I need it re-done because of the new version using XML. WOuld you be interested? hehe if so IM me on AIM
    MrWatchDawg
    Http://www.tech-critic.com
    tccom@tech-critic.com
    AIM: MrWatchDawg

I'll see if we can't help you out some...

So that's where this guy got, I mean designed, I mean ripped rest of his site from!
    http://www.addicted2hockey.com/forum/index.php
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

That's similiar but I don't think that's a rip ATST, unless I'm missing something here....

Well we all know that the header and footer design came from WHT, and now we know where the rest of addicted2hockey's forum design came from.
    and it wasn't "Designed by: Slapshot Harry Media"
    DANG DANG! DANG!!™
    I know ***** ripped off everybody else, but they wouldn't do it to me.
    "When you use bottom feed for bait, you are only going to catch bottom feeders."
    "You do what you are, and you are what you do."

I'd probably pay $10-15 for a skin, since its not really unique and users might see it around other forums.

I'll give you that. The header and footer look pretty familiar...

Having the tables for the categories the way they are there is a pretty common way to do it though. There are a lot of sites that would look similiar to that part of those forums.

If someone is going to sell a skin, the entire thing better be custom and all original. From the smallest button to the logo graphics and backgrounds.

For as much money as I see going for CPanel skins I am thinking I'll have a look at doing a custom one of those...

Invision is easier to skin then vB but I like invision over vB. I have done Invision skins before, and they are much easier then vB but still not a peice of cake.

Everytime Invision has a new release you need to create a new skin. The skins are never compatible with new releases. That will give you practice to say the least...

It really depends on the complexity of the design. Even the simplest-looking theme can take hours to do.
    It makes no difference which one of us you vote for. Either way, your planet is doomed... DOOMED!

I totally agree that skins can be very time consuming.The work itself is not all that difficult though, a lot of repetition involved...

Originally posted by MrWatchDawg
    I paid $35 dollors for my IPB theme which was custom made for me and my site to match the layout. It can be seen at http://www.tech-critic.com/forum and I need it re-done because of the new version using XML. WOuld you be interested? hehe if so IM me on AIM
    Well, you can't really sell something that was purchased from a website that prohibits reselling of their templates. If you sell that IPB theme, I wouldn't include any elements from the original design (header, buttons, etc):

http://www.liquid2d.com/detail.aspx?ID=63

Well that sure looks like a heavily inspired design....

Well, if he bought it from Liquid2D I think it's fine to use it all on your own forum, but he can't sell the header/buttons if he wants to sell the skin, which is what I gathered from "would you be interested?"

But I don't understand why he would want to sell it in the first place, since it matches his site's design?

Originally posted by MrWatchDawg
    I paid $35 dollors for my IPB theme which was custom made for me and my site to match the layout.
    A really good skin you have. I make skins for IBF for 70$ and up, but they're just little o more advaced than this one.