How much does it cost to run this place?

I just noticed that there are four-hundred people currently browsing this message board. This made me curious as to how much bandwidth and disk space this message board uses and how much it costs to host.

I'm guessing that it cost's $100/daily. Though, they probably make it up in the adverts.

Thousands of dollars a year. At least when I did a search for a post like it.

And like headsurfer said, it's not about the money, it's about creating a community.... that he can secretly watch and fantasize about
    Website, Artwork, Me ~ [ http://cerebrolabs.deviantart.com ]

It runs on 4 dual xeons at RS so... less than $199 per machine a month. But, just to make the calculation easy, say $200/month per machine = $800/month.

It's not like they pay theirselves for the machines each month. I'd guess this site probably eats up 5-10mbit/s of bandwidth a month, which really isn't nothing for RS, even if it's more or less...

They have what, 11 or 13 gige lines?
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

the servers are one time costs that you can't count if you're asking "how much is the monthly/daily costs"

but - WHT uses about 400GB of bandwidth a month (@ wholesale that's pennies for RS - and the numbe ris my estimate from 2 months ago)

They also have a couple people keeping an eye on it to make sure its up (ie, when it was down the other night, it was right back up in a few minutes)

Then you have their advertising costs - i'm not sure where WHT advertises anymore, but you can assume they're spending a couple grand or more advertising the place each month

Only 400 gb? You're joking right ...? That's not much at all...

Ah, I'm thinking of the one I ran that ate 95 a month and only had 80 active 24/7 but then again it had file downloads etc ....

I was way off...
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

That was from numbers I used in feb and a VERY low ball estimate

Originally posted by DarktidesNET

Ah, I'm thinking of the one I ran that ate 95 a month and only had 80 active 24/7 but then again it had file downloads etc ....

I was way off...
    Keep in mind that's 400 GB of mostly text... when you really consider it that's quite a bit (although it could be more) say even 600 GB... still a LOT of transit for 90% text.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

Yes it is... I forget that. But yeah, that's a lot for freaking forum.. hell, that's a lot for archive sites.

Originally posted by DarktidesNET
    Yes it is... I forget that. But yeah, that's a lot for freaking forum.. hell, that's a lot for archive sites.
    Yeah... I've always wanted to know what site uses the "most" bandwidth in any given month. It's really hard to say, but I haven't been able to find it.
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

I'd guess gaming sites do, considering most files are hundred mbs ... forums I don't know. It'd be hard to image forums using over 1 or 2 tbs ...

I don't mean to be rude by saying this but I'd like to clarify whether or not the above are guesses or not.

'Cause... 400GB a month sounds a little... off. Not that I know jack about this sort of thing, really, but still, 400GB is, well... a lot.

Yes they are all guesses.

Mine are based on monthly numbers from about 3 months ago - but that number was just for 1 server (and now there are 4)..

I say wht uses 10 terrabytes.

Website, Artwork, Me ~ [ http://cerebrolabs.deviantart.com ]

The servers were about 5k-10k (don't know excactly, headsurfer said it once), which they have to write-off. So let's say 500 for the servers, and maybe 2 Mbit in traffic, which they probably run at $30/Mbit. Also they have the license fees for BanManPro (the ad serving system), which probably is 895 dollar (considering they use the same system on more of their sites).
    So that is 500 for the servers (first year only), 60 for the traffic, 75 for the license (also first year only), totalling 635 p/m for the first year, and after that year only 60 p/m for the bandwidth
    Wordpress website builder (Build Your Own Money Site) and hosting enthusiast. I test cloud hosters for speed :-). Currently working on HIPAA HQ, Let's Grind Some Coffee and Build Your Own Web Store.