reboot script/program

Hope this is the correct place for this post.....

I was just wondering if anyone had found the perfect management script for monitoring a server.

I would like something that will automatically do a reboot if there is a problem for more than "x" number of either seconds or minutes. But just before it reboots sends a message to multiple admins via EITHER MSN, ICQ, email, phone, pager, etc.

windows/linux?

It will need to be for Linux.

I was thinking about doing something like this, however instead of rebooting the box (it would not help if it had crashed) it would send an email to the datacentre (or whoever) asking them to try to connect to the server, run some tests, if that dont work. reboot the box.
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

why dont you just use cron

yah

use cron, check memory usage etc, check load, check to see if any processes are dead or dying, maybe compare it against a list to see if things like httpd are running..

you could maybe have a script that checks the logs for certain events (you have been portscanned!!!!!!!) and tells you if they occur - maybe get it to check snort logs etc for certain attacks

ummm, cron won't work if your server is locked up.

The ideal solution would be to have some other server check that your webserver & ftp is working (with cron), if it isn't, check again in 2 minutes. If it's still not up, have it email your provider once.

as well, you could check to see if it is only a network issue by pinging your server or the provider.

I think.... If a server is locked up, you can still ping it.
    www.prolinker.com - free automatic linking to your website

yes but upto that point, you'll know what your machine was doing etc

eg you might see the memory usage tending towards 100%..