* Old computer prices in your area

So I bought a new Dell and decided to get rid of this old HP 6648C. I decided to check local pricing, and I saw a P2 350 MHz selling for $200! The machine is a AMD 550 Mhz, and the only thing I did to it was upgrade ram to 196 MB and throw in a 10/100 ethernet card. I was only planning on selling it (with 17" monitor) for $200 but now I'm thinking I should up the prices.

So my question is, is pricing this high on outdated machine in your area?
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

Today I got a computer at a garge sale for only 10 dollars, pc only! Its an AMD 333MHz, 64 GB RAM, 2HDs (1.5GB & 6GB), CD Drive, Floppy Drive, Modem, and a power cord! It works great for the price! You can really get some great deals you know! Thanks, Kyle

Pricing is the same for me locally, though I'm not sure how successful the sellers are. Machines with your specs in my local paper run anywhere from $250 on up. On the flipside, most monitors I see for sale here are only listed at $10-$25. As I said, I don't know if these boxes actually sell at that prices, but people are sure trying..

Correction

I saw a P2 350 MHz selling for $200!
    Should read, I saw a P2 350 MHz advertised for $200. Whether they had any offers to purchase at that or any price is subject to question.

Taking a quick glance through the classifieds in today's newspaper I see:

P166, 16MB RAM, 1GB HDD - $400 obo
    Apparently people in my area are quite ignorant when it comes to PC prices...
    -Bruce

Check the newspaper's online classifieds and see how long the ad has been running. May be offering at that price, but that doesn't mean they're selling it.
    Another possibility is donating it to a charity. There are several groups and organizations that take donated computers and modify them for handicap use or provide them to kids who can't afford them, such as kids in homeless shelters.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

Originally posted by madmouser
    Check the newspaper's online classifieds and see how long the ad has been running. May be offering at that price, but that doesn't mean they're selling it.
    Those were just a couple of examples, I'm actually going to try to call in about a week and see if the sellers still have the machines or they sold, and for how much if they will tell me .

Another possibility is donating it to a charity. There are several groups and organizations that take donated computers and modify them for handicap use or provide them to kids who can't afford them, such as kids in homeless shelters.
    Yeah I haven't completely decided what to do with it. I do have a cousin in college in need of a machine, but that is an idea I'll add to the list .
    - Adorno

Originally posted by Phrozen
    Taking a quick glance through the classifieds in today's newspaper I see:

Apparently people in my area are quite ignorant when it comes to PC prices...
    Holy crap... that's $100 short for the Dell I bought (P4 2.4Ghz) and that comes with a 17" monitor. I hope no one actually buys it .
    - Adorno

Not many places here for parts.. so wherever u can get it (which most things aren't in stock) it's kinda pricey.
    (exp. Amd xp1700 = $165)

I prefer online ordering
    Last edited by Esr Tek; 04-26-2003 at 07:06 PM.
    Regards,
    Eric

I donate all of my old outdated computers to my kids school. They are usaully very happy to get them for their computer labs.
    Dale Poncy
    Retired from Zana Web Hosting

"P166, 16MB RAM, 1GB HDD - $400 obo"
    Thats amazing! I was looking on eBay and I saw someone trying to sell a lot of 40 133/166 processors for $10 shipped and it had no bids. I guess people really are ignorant.

The machine is a AMD 550 Mhz, and the only thing I did to it was upgrade ram to 196 MB and throw in a 10/100 ethernet card. I was only planning on selling it (with 17" monitor) for $200 but now I'm thinking I should up the prices.
    When it comes to selling a pc you really wont get much for it nowdays,i know the walmarts in my area have emachines 1.0-1.8 Ghz starting at $299 without monitor and between $350-400 with a monitor.Dell also has some starting at $350+ Although i see alot of *cough* dumb people who go into used computer stores and buy the " PERSONAL COMPUTER ONLY $399" and get a cheap machine with generic parts that is running windows 95.

If i was you i would just keep it and use it to mess around with.(Installing linux or something.)

Originally posted by Jeffbg123
    "P166, 16MB RAM, 1GB HDD - $400 obo"
    Thats amazing! I was looking on eBay and I saw someone trying to sell a lot of 40 133/166 processors for $10 shipped and it had no bids. I guess people really are ignorant.
    care to post a link? i am interested in those, always wanted a beowulf cluster =]

paul
    * Rusko Enterprises LLC - Upgrade to 100% uptime today!
    * Premium NYC collocation and custom dedicated servers
    call 1-877-MY-RUSKO or paul [at] rusko.us

dedicated servers, collocation, load balanced and high availability clusters