Server Quote Question,

We have decided on the following server @ 6910.8 GBP (with VAT)

Supermicro 2U SuperChassis 826E16-R500LPB
    X9DR7-LN4F motherboard
    2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2 2.10 Ghz 15M Cache
    8 x 16GB DDR3 1600MHz ECC RDIMM (128GB in total)
    8 x 600GB Intel S3500 Enterprise SSD's inc adaptor HDD carrier
    2 x 2TB Western Digital Black 7200 rpm SATA 6Gbp/s
    Dual Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports
    Intel X520-DA2 Dual Port 10GbE SFP+ Adapter
    Onboard IPMI/KVM with Dedicated LAN
    500W Redundant Power Supplies
    3 years warranty

The reason we went with the S3500 is because it is rated @ 275 TB Endurance besides of course the good reputation of intel SSD's for enterprise workload environment,

Any thoughts or suggestions regarding this build or how we can get less expensive build would be really appreciated !...

Quote Originally Posted by HD Seed View Post
    We have decided on the following server @ 6910.8 GBP (with VAT)

Supermicro 2U SuperChassis 826E16-R500LPB
    X9DR7-LN4F motherboard
    2 x Intel Xeon E5-2620 v2 2.10 Ghz 15M Cache
    8 x 16GB DDR3 1600MHz ECC RDIMM (128GB in total)
    8 x 600GB Intel S3500 Enterprise SSD's inc adaptor HDD carrier
    2 x 2TB Western Digital Black 7200 rpm SATA 6Gbp/s
    Dual Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports
    Intel X520-DA2 Dual Port 10GbE SFP+ Adapter
    Onboard IPMI/KVM with Dedicated LAN
    500W Redundant Power Supplies
    3 years warranty

The reason we went with the S3500 is because it is rated @ 275 TB Endurance besides of course the good reputation of intel SSD's for enterprise workload environment,

Any thoughts or suggestions regarding this build or how we can get less expensive build would be really appreciated !...
    6910.8 for year or month?
    AdroitSSD LLC - Incredible™ Hosting Platform| In Business Since 2012 | 24/7 Real Support
    Pure SSD Hosting - 90 Days Moneyback Guarantee! | LiteSpeed + LSCache | 99.95% Uptime | CloudLinux
    SSD KVM VPS - INTENSE™ DDOS Protection |1 Gbit port Speed | LiteSpeed & Softaculous License

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Host Dingle View Post
    6910.8 for year or month?
    Sorry for not being clear, server will be PURCHASED for collocation...

Hey,

Your budget is $11.6K. And this is a lot for this configuration. I am not sure about the prices in UK, but I have got the same quote from my vendor in LA for about $8.8K

Are you sure you are looking at a good vendor for your purchase ?

* However my vendor gave me this chassis : SC826TQ-R800LPB + Supermicro X9DRD-iF but there is not much price difference btw this mainboard and yours. it is about $150
    Innovative Monitoring Solutions - Xitoring
    Linux Server Monitoring | Windows Server Monitoring
    Uptime Monitoring | Status Page | SSL Monitoring | API Monitoring

Supermicro just isn't a cheap option in the UK and isn't a commonplace option like in the US. To the extent that you could probably go branded with Dell or HP for better pricing if you have contact with a good supplier.

Quote Originally Posted by HSN-Saman View Post
    Hey,

Your budget is $11.6K. And this is a lot for this configuration. I am not sure about the prices in UK, but I have got the same quote from my vendor in LA for about $8.8K

Are you sure you are looking at a good vendor for your purchase ?

* However my vendor gave me this chassis : SC826TQ-R800LPB + Supermicro X9DRD-iF but there is not much price difference btw this mainboard and yours. it is about $150
    Quote Originally Posted by JSCL View Post
    Supermicro just isn't a cheap option in the UK and isn't a commonplace option like in the US. To the extent that you could probably go branded with Dell or HP for better pricing if you have contact with a good supplier.
    well, am pretty sure i have contacted 3 or 4 vendors in Europe whom were recommended to me here on WHT and by far those were the cheapest ! but I could be wrong !..

could someone recommend other vendors in EUROPE who can do supermicro brand new servers ?

You are forgetting the 20% VAT included in his price which brings the price about the same without it.

The price is more than fair in that case.

could someone recommend other vendors in EUROPE who can do supermicro brand new servers ?
    Checkout servernation.co.uk or twp.nl
    Patrick ~ INIZ

I am also pretty sure Supermicro does offer servers to individual too. Just give them an email and ask them about your configuration, they will do a full build server for you at the best price.

They have also office in EU ( Netherlands ) so you would be able to contact them for EU market.

* You can also give Edison a call or an email and ask him about a sales manager in EU.

Edison Shih
    Sales Account Manager
    Office 1-408-953-8990
    Cell 1-408-614-5701
    Email: edisons@supermicro.com

I am also pretty sure Supermicro does offer servers to individual too. Just give them an email and ask them about your configuration, they will do a full build server for you at the best price.

They have also office in EU ( Netherlands ) so you would be able to contact them for EU market.

* You can also give Edison a call or an email and ask him about a sales manager in EU.

Edison Shih
    Sales Account Manager
    Office 1-408-953-8990
    Cell 1-408-614-5701
    Email: edisons@supermicro.com

Ive just sent them and email, hope they can do something similar for me !

Supermicro are unlikely to sell to you direct and will tell you to goto a distributor. The quote you have given looks a little on the high side to me, try contacting Boston/Servernation/Hammer..

The reason we went with the S3500 is because it is rated @ 275 TB Endurance besides of course the good reputation of intel SSD's for enterprise workload environment,...
    Micron (Crucial) has released M500DC enterprise SSD line:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7947/m...b-800gb-review

due to the massive factory over-provisioning, both 480G and 800G models have 1.9PB write endurance guaranteed by Micron. M500DC also shows significantly higher write performance in benchmarking against Intel DC S3500 thanks to the much higher factory OP.

on the surface, M500DC costs slightly more than S3500, but it's actually cheaper based on the total NAND installed per drive. also, it will last a few times longer than S3500 so that it could cost you much less in the long run if your server would be 'write intensive'.

another review about M500DC by tom's hardware:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...sd,3805-4.html
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    Micron (Crucial) has released M500DC enterprise SSD line:
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/7947/m...b-800gb-review

due to the massive factory over-provisioning, both 480G and 800G models have 1.9PB write endurance guaranteed by Micron. M500DC also shows significantly higher write performance in benchmarking against Intel DC S3500 thanks to the much higher factory OP.

on the surface, M500DC costs slightly more than S3500, but it's actually cheaper based on the total NAND installed per drive. also, it will last a few times longer than S3500 so that it could cost you much less in the long run if your server would be 'write intensive'.

another review about M500DC by tom's hardware:
    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/...sd,3805-4.html
    Any idea how much they cost or where they are sold ?!

Ive just sent them and email, hope they can do something similar for me !
    Did you have any success?

Any idea how much they cost or where they are sold ?!
    micron usually supplies their enterprise SSD drives to OEM channel only so that end users can only get them as part of the server builds. it's not likely you could buy them individually from component retailers in US market such as newegg, provantage, superbiiz...etc. HOWEVER, this could be a different story in UK/EU market.

to my surprise, Micron prices these M500DC's very aggressively against S3500 series from Intel! "480G" M500DC (whopping 768GB NAND on PCB; 1.9PB TBW) costs a bit less than 480GB DC S3500 (512GB NAND on PCB; 275TB TBW), yet it's write performance (35K IOPS 4k random write) tops S3500 (11.5k IOPS 4k random write) by very wide margin!

however, M500DC's read performance (sequential and random) is rather disappointing! so, you will need to make an informed choice between them depending on what your server is built for.
    C.W. LEE, Apaq Digital Systems
    http://www.apaqdigital.com
    sales@apaqdigital.com

Did you have any success?
    I have emailed supermicro themselves, they said they will give me a call back by one of their Distributors in Malta, and did not receive a response back unfortunately, I guess I will email (edisons@supermicro.com) now and see how things go this time...

Quote Originally Posted by cwl@apaqdigital View Post
    however, M500DC's read performance (sequential and random) is rather disappointing! so, you will need to make an informed choice between them depending on what your server is built for.
    I am not really sure what do you mean by disappointing performance for Solid State (Non-Mechanical) Drive !

I do get that the M500DC 480 GB Models are faster than the 800 GB models, but is it really a bad idea to hook up 10x 480GBs or 6x 800GBs on a single software RAID Array ?

Am sorry but I don't have that much knowledge as you do

So do you mind elaborating ??

Thanks,