1024 ddr ram

now here the bit that I need info on

Either SCSI drives

@3 X 36gig

or IDE

@1 X 200 GIG// obviously this is going to be much cheaper

Regards

Steve

Well, SCSI is much faster for read time, and it matters more when there are alot of people visiting your site.
    Don't look for a way out.

Yes I understand that but do most people go for IDE or SCSI if they have the chance no matter about Prices?

Regards

Steve

I have not yet felt the need to move to a dedicated server, as of yet, but if i did i would move to SCSI.

Thanks for that input mate

No problem, as i have heard in the webserver world, every bit of speed is needed.

We will only use SCSI disks for performance reasons (except backup drives). Most IDE drives aren't intended for servers, but only desktops/personal pcs and really lack in many areas.

If money's not an option than go SCSI. I think it mainly boils down to if you know enough about hardware.

It's just like clockspeed means nothing, but more people will jump at a p4 2.4 ghz than dual p3 1.1 ghz, when the p4 would get smoked .... and the same is for hard disks, many think 120 gb is superior to maybe a 36 or 73 gb SCSI disk, but there's really no comparision other than the price tag and the space it can hold, which IDE is better in those areas, but that's nothing to base anything on, just like CPU clockspeed isn't.
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

That's true about processors, i would choose a p4 any day if i didn't do graphic intensive work, sound editing, ect.. Since the dual p3 1.1 would share the load and work twice as fast, if the programs allow dual processors.

I would to for a desktop because I'm not going to utilize a dual (and it'd be a waste) but for a server if the p3 is not overpriced I'd take duals no doubt.
    What does one host say to the other? "(HostA) Want to go see a movie?" "(HostB) Sure, can your parents drive?"

I'm premium, and no, I did not have to pay $6 a month to figure that out.

I used to think, before i built my first computer, a few months ago, that dual processors meant double the speed. EG: dual athlon MP 2.4Ghz would mean 4.8Ghz speed