Thread: Debit Cards...

Debit Cards...

Anyone know if these things still work even if they've been put through the washing machine (by accident)?

Signature.

Yes, mine goes through on a weekly basis.. You should not have a problem. The only problem I have ever gotten is that the signature strip sometimes starts to come off..

Has it got a chip inside it? (You should be able to see a gold thing on the front, or hold it up and look for a raised area)... The chip could of been screwed up, but its used pretty much never... and I dont think it will of affected the magnetic strip on the back so aslong as the card looks ok (signature still on the back) you should be ok. Only way to find out is give it a try!
    Steve

Mine has gone through the wash a few times - still works fine.

The only way to test is to go to an ATM and try it out

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

You should've have any problems with them going through the wash...

One thing you should always worry about... don't get them close to magnets -- aka magnets (obviously), speakers, monitors, tvs, etc. Anything with speakers - stereo, etc (on top of your dash in your car)...

Magnets will kill your card, and you'll have to get another one.

Originally posted by rockergrrl
    You should've have any problems with them going through the wash...

One thing you should always worry about... don't get them close to magnets -- aka magnets (obviously), speakers, monitors, tvs, etc. Anything with speakers - stereo, etc (on top of your dash in your car)...

Magnets will kill your card, and you'll have to get another one.

Women (and possibly males, too, you never know!) need to be careful with purses or wallets that have small magnets in a snap to make it easy to close it. They can kill a card.
    Laura K.
    http://www.madmousergraphics.com
    graphic design for grownups

Women can kill the card... and the account attached to it...
    You are unique, just like everyone else.

Originally posted by rockergrrl
    Not only those, but barcode scanners strangely enough.

I've gone through plenty of cards because a checkout person has sat my card on top of the barcode scanner after swiping it.

I no longer give them the card - I swipe it myself; I've been inconvenienced too many times by a faulty card.

These days I carry around 3 cards - Visa, plus two debit cards. I also keep another debit card in my desk in case I lose my wallet - so I've always got funds available.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Shaun, thats a little excessive isnt it!
    ive only got 1 debit card and i rarely loose or damage it.

People should treat debit cards like cash because in essence they are cash and you wouldnt go loosing a wad of cash or putting $200 through the washing machine!! (although i have done that before now)
    www.microsolder.uk - Microsoldering Services in the UK

hahaha. "Love They Plastic"

i dont worry about magnetic stuff here... there are hardly any modern conviences like bar code scanners and stuff... but i can only use it online pretty much. haha.
    Kevin Ohashi - Founder of ReviewSignal.com - Honest Web Hosting Reviews
    Check out my 2021 WordPress Hosting Performance Benchmarks, the most comprehensive look at WP hosting performance

Originally posted by XTStrike
    Shaun, thats a little excessive isnt it!
    ive only got 1 debit card and i rarely loose or damage it.
    I don't think so, they're all linked to different accounts (eg: Business cheque, personal cheque, personal savings, etc) so I use each card for a different purpose.

However, I've been caught out before - once I done a whole shopping, got to the checkout and found out my card wasn't working. It was extremely embarassing.

--Shaun
    Shaun Ewing
    shaun.net

Originally posted by Furnace
    Has it got a chip inside it? (You should be able to see a gold thing on the front, or hold it up and look for a raised area)... The chip could of been screwed up, but its used pretty much never... and I dont think it will of affected the magnetic strip on the back so aslong as the card looks ok (signature still on the back) you should be ok. Only way to find out is give it a try!
    No it doesn't have a chip. I was just asking because I didn't really have a chance to go to the bank last night, and I didn't want to have to go through the process of getting a new one all over again.

Thanks guys
    Signature.

never had a problem with any of mine, credit \ debit , visa \ mastercard , chip or not. they often get soaked in washing machines or rivers, theyre pretty resiliant to everything as far as i can tell. I know there is in theory a problem with strong magnetic forces but ive never had a card fail. The only problem i have with them is they are too fragile physically.

And three cards is far from excessive, its fairly normal, if you have two accounts or more and a couple of credit cards all the cards quickly pile up. Figure on a cash card for a savings account, three current accounts with a debit for each and 2-4 credit cards with various banks \ companies.
    --
    Rich

its not the barcode scanner, all that is is a laser. Its the sensormatic (anti-theft device) unit that is next to the scanner, that they use to kill the security tags; thats what kills your card
    You are unique, just like everyone else.