Shared and Dedicated Bandwidth

Have a pretty basic question although I cannot find a clear answer on this. Maybe cos I am looking in the wrong places.

Basically, if my colo DC has shared bandwidth. Say its 100Mbs Local and 5Mbs International .

What would happen if I get dedicated bandwidth of 10Mbs International.

1. Would all my traffic use the dedicated bandwidth? Even Local?
    2. What if connectivity is better with Shared Bandwidth carrier.
    3. Any other info or links regarding this that I can learn more from.

Greatly appreciate any help on this.

Cheers

1. Would all my traffic use the dedicated bandwidth? Even Local?
    A: no, your international traffic will use your 10 Mbps dedicated international bandwidh and your local traffic will use the 100Mbs Local

2. What if connectivity is better with Shared Bandwidth carrier.
    A: Dedicated will be better from shared

3. Any other info or links regarding this that I can learn more from.
    A: search from google

Thanks Singlerack,

1. I think the shared bandwidth is not split and its 100Mbs shared but our tests showed that International is actually around 5Mbs .. sorry for confusion.

If in the above case, how is the logic to determine whether dedicated or shared bandwidth is used?

2. Hmm, but in the case of say China where there are 2 main carriers... the shared bandwidth maybe better for North China and the dedicated bandwidth is better for South China. A North China end user will still use the Dedicated? which has perhaps worse connectivity?

3. I have tried but really cannot find anything that answers my questions to my level hence my post. Maybe I dunno what to search for exactly....

Thanks again.

This sounds more like a marketing ploy than anything. The complexity of managing connections to that level is very difficult and not something most providers are capable of. It sounds like the provider has a single 100mb link to a local carrier and probably another 10-100mb to an international carrier and they want to try to scare you into limiting the bandwidth yourself since the international carrier is more expensive.

I would bet that if you asked for separate graphs they would be unable to provide them. They would just suspend you if they saw a huge increase in international traffic.

Look for a provider that offers a blend of network providers that would work well for your customers and not ones with unrealistic network options.
    Austin - PeakServers Support
    PeakServers.com | Web Hosting, VPS, and Dedicated Servers with Fully Managed Support Options

You shall ask your DC to explain.

The allocation of shared and dedicated bandwidth can be managed completely by them.

The way to decide whether to buy dedicated is that you find shared not enough.

For routing, you shall ask for an IP for shared and an IP for dedicated to test yourself.

You seem to have asked many random questions.
    Alex - info[@]serverhk.org
    Server Hong Kong Company - The optimized choice
    No limitation at service scope but promise you always the best price for whatever service level required.

we must feel This sounds more like a marketing ploy from provider, ask provider how much CIR (Committed information rate) the bandwidth shared for customer