Danger behind Cpanel

Just to make an assumption, what if cpanel licence server is down or touch wood, cpanel closed down, then our cpanel might not be able to run anymore?

As our cpanel is not able to sync with the licence server.

Correct me if i'm wrong.

Do cpanel servers call home with licence info ? I didnt know this (dont use cpanel, dont plan to).
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Thats a good question.

Never thought of that.
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!

Ack! cPanel calls home?! How stupid! Thousands of websites would stop to work if anything every happens to DarkOrb. Even if it wasn't their fault.
    EverSpeed.net

Originally posted by xWho
    Ack! cPanel calls home?! How stupid! Thousands of websites would stop to work if anything every happens to DarkOrb. Even if it wasn't their fault.

Of course cPanel calls home.. How do you think it validates the license? The IP is listed on the lincese server and its checked every few min I beleive...

Also as I remeber, the license server did go down once for a day, and then Nick put up seperate servers incase one goes down, the other takes over... I beleive one is in NAC and one was at Burst, not sure if still there...

Also, thousands of websites wouldn't just stop working, Apache still works when cpanel is down, the only thing that wouldn't work is POP3 because DarkOrb wrote the pop3 deamon...

Ermm... don you guys feel that even you have paid the full amount for the product, but the product still not belongs to you?

As you might not be able to use cpanel if the licence server is not functioning or your ip address has been removed...

Or maybe cpanel closed down..... touch wood.

Originally posted by Ibanez
    Ermm... don you guys feel that even you have paid the full amount for the product, but the product still not belongs to you?

As you might not be able to use cpanel if the licence server is not functioning or your ip address has been removed...

Or maybe cpanel closed down..... touch wood.
    Ever use Windows? You pay for it, but you don't actually own the product, you have a license for use of the product which can be revoked even though you paid for it...

How else could someone keep track of software licensing without a main server that it calls back on... Even if DarkOrb even went out of business, why would you want to keep on using a control panel thats not being updated and will prolly have security holes eventually..

Even the owned licenses call back to make sure the server is allowed to run it..

More and more software is going to this because of the huge amounts of piracy..

Originally posted by The Prohacker

How else could someone keep track of software licensing without a main server that it calls back on... Even if DarkOrb even went out of business, why would you want to keep on using a control panel thats not being updated and will prolly have security holes eventually..
    if this happened we (hosts) will prefer to keep it running until we find some alternative solution. Believe me, when there is any license issue with cpanel server, it sucks bad time explaining each and every customers on server why they are not able to check there email accounts

god bless cpanel our livelihood depends on it.
    CPHosting - Web Hosting Experts Since 1998.
    United States | Europe | Singapore | Australia
    Visit Us! www.cphosting.com

Does it have an attempt log?

Like it does not shut off unless it is unable to make contact for say X number of days.
    L. James Prevo - President/Owner
    Prevo Network, LLC - http://www.prevo.net
    Est. 1999 - Month to Month Billing!!