Unhappy I think I'm paying too much. Recommend a new webhost?

Hey guys! Years ago I had a pretty popular WordPress website that required a VPS, so I went with a managed account on FutureHosting.com. But my site has been pretty inactive for a while now and I'm thinking I can scale back. Plus, I've done everything I know to do with caching plugins to get Google's Pagespeed to give me a favorable review, but it's always very slow. Furthermore, the sites tend to be fickle with how they deliver email notifications and sites go down at the most inopportune times. Since one of my other sites is becoming more popular in a different industry, I'm looking to move to something more reliable, faster, and hopefully cheaper.

I've been considering MediaTemple's Grid service, but it's been several years since I looked into web-hosting companies, so I'm completely out of touch with what's out there and what the technology offers. I thought I'd ask you guys for recommendations.

HERE'S WHAT I GOT
    • 3 WordPress sites, one using Cart66 Cloud for ecommerce.
    • 1 iDevAffiliate site in a folder of one of the other domains.
    • Several email forwarders.
    • The sites combined transfer about 50-60 GB of data each month.
    • The sites combined are using about 18 GB of diskspace.
    • The sites combined get about 25,000 pageviews/month. One site is growing, traffic on the others is pretty flat.
    • It's all based on WHM/cPanel.
    • I have an SSL certificate setup on the ecommerce site, but I don't think I really need it since Cart66 Cloud takes care of the transaction.
    • I pay $57.95/month for 100 GB of diskspace and 4 GB of RAM.
    • I pay $10/month for daily FTP backups, so $67.95/month total.

WHAT'S MOST IMPORTANT TO ME
    • Up-time. Every minute my sites are down is time I'm potentially missing revenue opportunities.
    • Site speed. I want Google's Pagespeed to give my sites a favorable score.
    • Quick and prompt support. I hate it when my sites go down and I have to submit an email ticket and just wait until someone sees it. I can do basic stuff like setting up MySQL databases and such, but I don't know how to manage or service my VPS.
    • A company who can transfer my sites for me for free or very cheap and keep everything intact without a hickup. MediaTemple charges $150 per domain to transfer from another host for you. Ouch. That adds up quick. I don't know how to do it myself or I would.

I don't know if I'm eligible to switch to a shared hosting plan until my one site grows a bit more, if I should stay on a VPS, if I currently have a good deal where I am and should stay put, or what.

Thanks for your recommendations, guys!

You could probably get shared hosting for a much lower cost but it depends on what resources your site uses at any one time, most providers use CloudLinux to limit what resources an account can use, so it'd be beneficial to have separate accounts for each of your sites (or at least a separate one for the most popular site). Most hosts who use cPanel also offer free transfer if you're coming from another host with cPanel.

You should check out the offers section, you should find something which meets your requirements, but make sure you check for reviews before buying from any company.
    WebSound - Affordable, Reliable Hosting Solutions
    High performance hosting solutions located in EU, NA and the US
    Web Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Minecraft Hosting / VPS - www.websound.co.uk

You mention you pay for 100GB Space, do you use the full 100GB? If you don't maybe you could tell us. That will help for more accurate results.

I wouldn't recommend shared hosting just incase you get a bit more popular, however I recommend a reseller account, that means you can put one site on their own account. That will help you move due to most websites use CloudLinux now which limits connections etc.

I recommend CrocWeb, I enjoyed my service when I used them.
    Licensecart - We only sell High Quality licenses
    Visit us @ Licensecart.com ~ sales(➾)licensecart.com ~ webhostbundle.com
    WHT isn't what it used to be… power changes people :]

Quote Originally Posted by CW Mike View Post
    You mention you pay for 100GB Space, do you use the full 100GB?
    No, I'm using 18 GB of it.

Criot, how would I go about finding out what resources my VPS is using at any given time? I just logged in to my Virtuozzo Control Panel and it says I'm using 1% CPU power (it was at 17% last time I checked a few minutes ago) and I'm using 680 MB of memory. Is that what you mean?

The 1% CPU power sounds really low for what you host, same goes to memory.

That price is very good for a fully managed 4GB VPS with cPanel. If I were you I'd stay put, install munin, then work with FutureHosting to try and find out why the sites go down or site from time to time.

If you're not already, you could look into their pure SSD VPS plans and/or moving to a hybrid one and/or adding their extra CPU ration for a small extra fee. I certainly wouldn't pay less, because your available resources would drop considerably, or you'd be on a less expertly run set up.

If your sites were running fine, so you were looking to downsize and save money, I'd still stay on a VPS with that traffic.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by rockinyp View Post
    No, I'm using 18 GB of it.

Criot, how would I go about finding out what resources my VPS is using at any given time? I just logged in to my Virtuozzo Control Panel and it says I'm using 1% CPU power (it was at 17% last time I checked a few minutes ago) and I'm using 680 MB of memory. Is that what you mean?
    Yes, that's exactly what I mean! Them resources aren't too high, you should be able to get Shared Hosting at a decent price with such low resource usage.
    WebSound - Affordable, Reliable Hosting Solutions
    High performance hosting solutions located in EU, NA and the US
    Web Hosting / Reseller Hosting / Minecraft Hosting / VPS - www.websound.co.uk

Metrics are the key here. Monitor your current setup closely before jumping ships as a migration may not necessarily resolve things for you. You need to find out what your present bottleneck is (CPU, Memory, IO, etc). FutureHosting should be able to help you with this.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks LLC || Premium Hosting Services. Support that cares.
    Managed VPS - cPanel - Softaculous - Monitoring - DDoS Protection - Fully Managed - East Coast - West Coast - London
    Reseller Hosting - WHMCS || CloudLinux || SSL || SSD || Daily Backups || LiteSpeed || US / UK || DDoS Protection
    cPanel Authorized Partner - ARIN Member - APNIC Member - Own Hardware - Own Network - Own IPs

Seconding all the folks who say to check with FutureHosting first. Ask them to ensure that Apache and MySQL are performance-tuned (they'll understand what this means). Also, check your WordPress installation for excessive or outdated plugins / themes. That's probably the #1 cause of slow WordPress performance that I come across. If that's what's slowing you down, jumping host won't help.
    Fresh Roasted Hosting :: High-performance Harrisburg web hosting since 2012!
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."
    Shared :: VPS :: Reseller :: Dedicated :: Co-Location :: SSL Certificates

Why don't you simply just downgrade your VPS? this way your still on your own environment while also paying a cheaper price.

You're paying more to have 80gig of diskspace which you are not using.

Quote Originally Posted by FRH Lisa View Post
    Seconding all the folks who say to check with FutureHosting first. Ask them to ensure that Apache and MySQL are performance-tuned (they'll understand what this means). Also, check your WordPress installation for excessive or outdated plugins / themes. That's probably the #1 cause of slow WordPress performance that I come across. If that's what's slowing you down, jumping host won't help.
    Good advice! I have checked with them already about why my sites are slow for Google. Their suggestions didn't really make a difference. I haven't asked them to ensure that Apache and MySQL are performanced-tuned, though. I'll do that. Thanks for the tip!

And everything in WP is up-to-date. I don't have any other themes other than the two that come default with WP and the one I'm actually using.

Quote Originally Posted by TekHive View Post
    Why don't you simply just downgrade your VPS? this way your still on your own environment while also paying a cheaper price.
    Oh, good idea. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that. haha If I can get the sites responding more quickly I'll definitely do that.

Good advice! I have checked with them already about why my sites are slow for Google. Their suggestions didn't really make a difference. I haven't asked them to ensure that Apache and MySQL are performanced-tuned, though. I'll do that. Thanks for the tip!

And everything in WP is up-to-date. I don't have any other themes other than the two that come default with WP and the one I'm actually using.
    What's your present load on the server? Can you run top and monitor the usage for short duration? Run free -m and check the amount of free RAM you have.
    Managed VPS - cPanel - Softaculous - Monitoring - DDoS Protection - Fully Managed - East Coast - West Coast - London
    Reseller Hosting - WHMCS || CloudLinux || SSL || SSD || Daily Backups || LiteSpeed || US / UK || DDoS Protection
    cPanel Authorized Partner - ARIN Member - APNIC Member - Own Hardware - Own Network - Own IPs

Quote Originally Posted by Host4Geeks-Kushal View Post
    What's your present load on the server?
    Right now I'm using 1.7% CPU and 735 MB memory. It's also a low traffic time now, though. I'll have to check a few times next week during higher traffic times.

Since this is a managed account your provider should help you identify and resolve the issues. Ask them if they could install something like Munin for you to look at some historical data on your server's performance.

Right now I'm using 1.7% CPU and 735 MB memory. It's also a low traffic time now, though. I'll have to check a few times next week during higher traffic times.
    You can start by moving one website to a shared hosting and see how it goes.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

Great - keep us posted on the outcome! Also, have you tried using an analysis tool like Pingdom's speed test?

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt

That will tell you exactly what part of the process is slowing down. Sometimes it's obvious, like a site that's waiting on an external ad server or linked media. Other times, you'll need to look into the data a bit. A long lead time indicates your server is slow to respond, which could be any number of things. A fast lead time but long transfer times generally indicates a network problem. They won't tell you exactly what the problem is, but you'll see where any bottlenecks are occurring, and you can take that information back to your host.
    "The only thing better than the world's best customer service is never needing them in the first place."

Great - keep us posted on the outcome! Also, have you tried using an analysis tool like Pingdom's speed test?

http://tools.pingdom.com/fpt
    Thanks! It tells me my site is faster than 39% of all tested websites. It took a little over 4 seconds to load my home page. I'll have to dig into this a bit more...

Talking advice

hawkhost
    namecheap

Thanks! It tells me my site is faster than 39% of all tested websites. It took a little over 4 seconds to load my home page. I'll have to dig into this a bit more...
    Change the dropdown to "sort by load time", and you'll see which elements are taking the longest to load. The DNS, Connect, Send, and Wait times should all be MUCH lower than the Receive time.

Change the dropdown to "sort by load time", and you'll see which elements are taking the longest to load. The DNS, Connect, Send, and Wait times should all be MUCH lower than the Receive time.
    Hmm... I ran it a few times. The first time the embedded YouTube videos were taking super long. The second time it was the Facebook connect stuff.

Here's the link in case you see anything helpful in it.

Hmm... I ran it a few times. The first time the embedded YouTube videos were taking super long. The second time it was the Facebook connect stuff.

Here's the link in case you see anything helpful in it.
    Looking at those results, the Facebook content is definitely a major contributor to site lag. However, I just ran the test again from NYC, and you're loading much quicker, and the Facebook content isn't an issue at all. Going back and forth between Amsterdam and NYC tests, it looks like going overseas is (predictably) adding some lag -- but most of your lag is still coming from your third-party content.

Unfortunately, there's not much you can do about that. Content hosted on a third party site will always introduce uncontrollable performance issues to a site. Sometimes minor, sometimes major. This can be any number of factors ranging from slow performance from the interconnecting networks (most likely) to slow performance on their servers to slow performance of your VPS (least likely).

Here's what I'd recommend: Start by getting your VPS fully performance-tuned (specifically, Apache and MySQL). Ask your host for any other performance advice they can offer. Even though you can't control the performance of the third party sites, ensuring your VPS is running at peak performance may give you enough of a speed boost to mitigate any issues from those sites. Once your host works their magic, run the speed tests again. Be sure to check at multiple times throughout the day as well.

If your performance is still unacceptable, bring it up with your host one last time. Chances are there's not much they can do, but you never know: maybe one of their carriers is undergoing a very long maintenance window, or maybe you're the thousandth customer to complain about slow performance -- and the final straw that makes them re-evaluate their carrier blend. Put simply, you never know and it never hurts to ask.

If you still can't get performance to levels that you consider satisfactory, then you might want to consider shopping around. However, you will probably encounter the same problems just about anywhere else. It would be wise to ask each potential host for advice on your specific situation. Any host who tells you anything like "oh yeah, our network is awesome and we have great connectivity to everyone all the time" is probably a host you should avoid.

Long story short, there might not be much you can do. Third-party content is a wildcard that can bring an otherwise screaming fast site to its knees in seconds.

Long story short, there might not be much you can do. Third-party content is a wildcard that can bring an otherwise screaming fast site to its knees in seconds.
    Very helpful! Thank you so much! I'll definitely do all that.

My site is about YouTube, so having YouTube videos embedded isn't something I can avoid. I could, however, remove Facebook comments and just use WordPress' built-in comments, but I like having "verified" identities with Facebook comments that makes comment reviews and such feel more credible.

First things first: get my VPS performance-optimized...

I use digital ocean. I get 1000 visitors on one site and usually around 5k page views per day. The other sites I host on this vps could have a small portion of around 1k page views. So total 6k page views per day. I use $5 plan. I use amazon aws for back up and it costs under a dollar. I have around 16 GB of space used on vps.

If you are satisfied with your host and can manage the budget

Just stay !

Quote Originally Posted by nz48vy View Post
    I use digital ocean. I get 1000 visitors on one site and usually around 5k page views per day. The other sites I host on this vps could have a small portion of around 1k page views. So total 6k page views per day. I use $5 plan. I use amazon aws for back up and it costs under a dollar. I have around 16 GB of space used on vps.
    But probably not right for this poster, given what they said in their opening post:

I don't know how to manage or service my VPS.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

I would recommend Site5 to you. Here is their free migration offer:
    http://www.site5.com/about/free-migration/
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

i was just testing your site with pagespeed and pingdom, seems that your problem is the same with me, it was the javascript that makes the site longer to load. difference is my site has lot of images while yours are videos. for configuration, i only use the default configuration from the webserver, mysql, and php.

I think you may be paying too much for the drive space, which you do not need. Most VPS providers will give you a lot of bandwidth but the real limitation is disk space, which you pay a lot for. You would be better off with a smaller VPS plan with less space.
    247-Host • Affordable and Reliable Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting
    • Managed VPS & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    • cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Softaculous
    • We can transfer your sites for you!