Moving from cpanel to plesk?

Hey Guys,

Long time lurker, first time poster....
    Not sure if this is the best place for the question but here goes...

I've got a single hosted account using cpanel and I run my own plesk VPS. I'm looking at moving the account from cpanel to a new plesk account. I've had no end of trouble with the hosted cpanel account due to poor management and shocking customer service...

I have a back up from the cpanel account, and would like to import the data to the plesk account.

I've googled and found cpanel offer a way to go to them, but not from them.

Is there an easy way or step by step guide on restoring data from cpanel to plesk?

Thanks for any advice or help in advance...

Hi,

Plesk have migration tool for this. Check it http://kb.parallels.com/en/115612

I have not had much success with the PLESK tool. I think you may have to do it manually by FTP'ing the data and then manually importing the mySQL DB's. Usually between panels, we find that is the best way to migrate accounts.
    247-HostAffordable and Reliable Web Hosting & Reseller Hosting
    • Managed VPS & Dedicated Servers powered by cPanel/WHM
    • cPANEL/WHM Shared and Reseller Web Hosting with Softaculous
    • We can transfer your sites for you!

Quote Originally Posted by Time4VPS View Post
    Hi,

Plesk have migration tool for this.
    Ah, I have a minor problem -

The source server accepts SSH connections from the destination server and password authentication for user root is enabled in the SSH server's configuration (see KB #115625 for details)

My cpanel account doesnt allow SSH - its a simple host account for about $30 per year....

If you have one site only, there is no need of control panel or you can get a free one like ISPConfig.

But if you really need to use plesk, be prepared to do it manually too.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    If you have one site only, there is no need of control panel or you can get a free one like ISPConfig.

But if you really need to use plesk, be prepared to do it manually too.
    Sorry, I already have a vps with plesk installed, currently hosting around 40 different domains. I never added this to my account as it was cpanel and it was better for me to have it hosted with a cpanel host and just pay extra for it.....

Just lazyness really so now I will be moving to my plesk server so that the tech support team only have one vps to use. I have lost confidence in the support team who currently host the cpanel account and I doubt they even know what they do!

Looks like I just need to swallow this and manually set up the hosting on my plesk account...

Are you talking about moving cPanel account from a Shared Server ( where you have limited access ) to your own VPS? If so, I think you have to do it manually and as it is for a single account that will not be a big pain I believe?

Parallels offers free migration assistance. But there are some conditions. Anyway, you can try to ask this assistance.

From experience, the best way we found was just manually ftping the files and importing the dbs, its abit longer but the end results are so much better.