Liquid Web vs Site 5 Vs Servint: Which is best?

Just made my hosting choice even harder....by discovering another host I am interested in.

I am having a tough choice between liquidweb, Site5 and Servint for a VPS host?

Of these three, can anyone recommend which of these 3 hosts is the best?

I like Servint's new Solid Fire VPS plans but the reviews are a bit shaky at times and they don't seem to support litespeed, which is what i need. They said they do their best with it.

Site5 is highly attractive and is one that I am leaning towards but some reviews as of late don't seem 100 percent reassuring.

Liquid Web seems to be good and i love that they have phone support.

Edit: Liquid web concerns me a bit because i asked about purchasing my own litespeed licence(they want 35 for a licence that is a bit cheaper if i brought my own) and they said my personal licence wouldn't fall under their FUlly managed support(the LW based licence would though) and they'd give it a best effort. Which sort of confuses me...as it shouldn't matter where it is brought from.

I just don't know. Please help if you have any feedback on these companies.
    Last edited by Dauntless; 02-08-2014 at 10:40 AM.

what is your budget and what is your location ?

From my opinion liquid web is good. You can choose them.
    AdroitSSD LLC - Incredible™ Hosting Platform| In Business Since 2012 | 24/7 Real Support
    Pure SSD Hosting - 90 Days Moneyback Guarantee! | LiteSpeed + LSCache | 99.95% Uptime | CloudLinux
    SSD KVM VPS - INTENSE™ DDOS Protection |1 Gbit port Speed | LiteSpeed & Softaculous License

Quote Originally Posted by badboyx View Post
    what is your budget and what is your location ?
    my budget is irrelevant here as I am only focused on which of these 3 companies is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    my budget is irrelevant here as I am only focused on which of these 3 companies is the best.
    then LiquidWeb is what you are looking for

VPS? Dedicated?
    LiquidWeb is a premium host.
    Site5 is excellent, yes, but LiquidWeb is better. (And it costs more.)
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Hi there,

Site5 is fine, LiquidWeb is good but pricey [then again I haven't compared them lately to Servint]

But Servint - best hosting company I have been with in the last 16 yrs!

Been with them for the last 6 yrs.

Cheers,

E.

Quote Originally Posted by badboyx View Post
    then LiquidWeb is what you are looking for
    +1 for LiquidWeb, been their customer for many years and I would recommend them to you in a heart beat.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com

Thread moved: Web Hosting -> VPS Hosting forum

I would certainly not recommend liquidweb they are more interested in their money than their customers.

Do keep in mind that Site5 does not provider root access to your managed VPS (if that is what you are looking at) under any circumstances, I a sure they do this in the best interest of their clients, but it is a limitation nevertheless.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening
    Datacenters - Los Angeles, CA | Lenoir, NC | London, UK |Pune, India

LiquidWeb is really good, I think that is the best choice for you. Howeaver, consider also WiredTree, it's another Premium Hosting.
    Web Hosting Magazine | Italian site on the Hosting, Domains, VPS & Server

I tried all 3

But i am presently with Big Scoots now.

I tried all 3

Wewt!
    BigScoots.com - 98% of Clients Stay With Us Forever
    Offering Fully Managed Shared & Reseller Hosting
    Specializing in Managed WordPress, VPS & Dedicated Hosting
    Opened 2010 & 100% Positively Reviewed Since | 100% Network Uptime

Quote Originally Posted by Host4Geeks-Kushal View Post
    Do keep in mind that Site5 does not provider root access to your managed VPS (if that is what you are looking at) under any circumstances, I a sure they do this in the best interest of their clients, but it is a limitation nevertheless.
    If you're buying fully managed hosting, this is the only scenario that you should accept. Otherwise (if your provider gives you root) what are they expecting you to do with it, and how will they understand clearly how everything is configured / installed when it comes to important issues like troubleshooting or security patching etc.

You don't want something to go unpatched or get misconfigured by your provider simply because they don't know what you've got installed (or how you've got it configured). If you're buying managed, let your provider manage!

I tried all 3

I guess it would help the OP to know your thoughts on each + why you ended up leaving them and using Big Scoots instead...
    UK, Chicago, & Singapore Fully Managed Plesk VPS
    UK, Arizona & Singapore Jelastic Java, PHP & Ruby PaaS

Comprehensive SLAs, backups, full SSD, rebootless kernel updates.
    Experienced managed hosting provider since 2001. True 24x7 Support & Server Management

Quote Originally Posted by Layershift Damien View Post
    If you're buying fully managed hosting, this is the only scenario that you should accept. Otherwise (if your provider gives you root) what are they expecting you to do with it, and how will they understand clearly how everything is configured / installed when it comes to important issues like troubleshooting or security patching etc.

You don't want something to go unpatched or get misconfigured by your provider simply because they don't know what you've got installed (or how you've got it configured). If you're buying managed, let your provider manage!
    I would disagree, just giving the end user root access does not necessarily mean they will use it unless they are sure about it. It is acceptable to *not provide* root access by default but provide on request. But completely denying root access, no, never.

There are several occasions when a non-sysadmin may need or use root access, as a provider not only it off-loads some minor tasks for us but from a customer point of view it allows him to be not dependent on his provider for *everything* and not open tickets for each and every issue.

For people who are not comfortable using it, will not.
    Kushal || Host4Geeks || Operating Fully Owned Infrastructure out of 4 Global Datacenters US / UK / India
    Reseller Hosting - Pure SSD | Nginx + LSAPI | Let's Encrypt | WHMCS or Blesta | DDoS Protection| 24x7 Support
    Fully Managed SSD VPS - cPanel /WHM | Softaculous | Let's Encrypt | DDoS Protection | Proactive Monitoring | Server Hardening

There are several occasions when a non-sysadmin may need or use root access
    Such as? There are plenty of things our customers can do using "user level" SSH. Maybe you're thinking of those?

Root access is only needed for configuration changes or software install/update. These are the things the provider should do if the server is fully managed. Any other way is dangerous to the long term stability and security of the server (which is the primary reason to buy a fully managed server - i.e. because you're hosting something important and downtime costs money etc.).

as a provider not only it off-loads some minor tasks for us
    This is the primary reason that many "managed" hosting providers give root access to their clients. The other is clients who really want unmanaged servers with some hand holding (in which case it's better and cheaper to buy an unmanaged server, and get some occasional paid support assistance if that's what you need).

If root access is a big issue for you (as a customer), save yourself headaches and buy an unmanaged (self-managed) server instead!

and not open tickets for each and every issue.
    Self-service is good, but it doesn't have to be at the expense of system stability and security. There are ways to provide access to common things that customers require access to change or do without root access, and so those things can still be handled without a ticket.

However if opening tickets is a hardship (either because of process, or response quality / delays), it probably suggests you're hosting with the wrong provider. These are things that are 'acceptable' when buying $10/year shared hosting, but if you're paying for decent quality fully managed server hosting (VPS or dedicated / cluster etc.) you should have a support team that you can depend on and enjoy working with. The support team should be an extension of your own in-house capabilities (IT team, developers - whatever applies).

Experienced managed hosting provider since 2001. True 24x7 Support & Server Management

Quote Originally Posted by Layershift Damien View Post
    Such as? There are plenty of things our customers can do using "user level" SSH. Maybe you're thinking of those?

Root access is only needed for configuration changes or software install/update. These are the things the provider should do if the server is fully managed. Any other way is dangerous to the long term stability and security of the server (which is the primary reason to buy a fully managed server - i.e. because you're hosting something important and downtime costs money etc.).
    Nope, I am fairly sure about what I am talking about be it albeit related to configuration changes but a lot of our clients are experienced enough to do those and prefer doing it themselves. Simple issues such as installation of the CloudFlare Plugin or Softaculous, for which they follow the documentation and is pretty straight forward and if someone doesn't want to they just request the provider to do it. You're assuming, just because the end user has root access, he would do things he is not sure about, which as far as I have seen is not the case.

This is the primary reason that many "managed" hosting providers give root access to their clients. The other is clients who really want unmanaged servers with some hand holding (in which case it's better and cheaper to buy an unmanaged server, and get some occasional paid support assistance if that's what you need).
    Firstly, occasional paid assistance in most cases would work out to be more than the cost of the actual VPS, secondly, Why not? It makes life easier for both the parties. The customer does not necessarily need to wait for 30 odd minutes to receive a response from the provider, it benefits both the parties.

You're pretty much considering that *because* your customer has root access, he is going to go in and do things he is not sure about. We see customers using our managed services, who range from non-geeky and simple bloggers, who do not even care about what SSH is, to the average geek, who knows his way and can follow tutorials to do basic stuff but prefer to have everything managed and taken care of and then there's the decent geek who just doesn't have the time to manage another server in his life.

I do not see how giving root access is compromising on stability and security of the server. It's not like, just because you are giving root access they no longer get the managed levels of service you as a provider may offer, that is always there, it's about having that option and flexibility. If you do not want to use, just don't.

a lot of our clients are experienced enough to do those
    You're assuming, just because the end user has root access, he would do things he is not sure about, which as far as I have seen is not the case.
    This isn't the point at all. I completely understand that most clients are sensible enough to know the limits of their own expertise; when they should attempt something themselves vs. when they need help from someone more knowledgeable / experienced.

The problem is that however 'expert' the customer is (or even their hired help for the day), if the provider installed and configured everything up to this point it means the customer has no idea what unseen consequences of their actions might be. Maybe when they apply that configuration change they simultaneously break something else, or maybe that installation package conflicts with something already installed.

The multiple sysadmins phenomenon that you create in this case is problematic. Where problems are avoided it arises through chance (e.g. customer doesn't call upon the help of their provider to do / troubleshoot anything, or the provider really isn't so proactive about keeping things patched etc. in the first place) rather than by design.

Multiple sysadmins can only work if all of the changes are thoroughly documented, and each sysadmin has a good background of the system's configuration / architecture from the outset. This could only happen if there's a shared runbook maintained by both sides (provider and customer). I'm not aware of a managed provider that works this way; if there is one it might work effectively (though still a question of somehow maintaining adequate quality over that shared documentation to ensure it's clearly understandable by all parties).

The customer does not necessarily need to wait for 30 odd minutes to receive a response from the provider
    In general that sort of response speed would be too slow for a managed service support team.

I do not see how giving root access is compromising on stability and security of the server.
    As I mentioned before, the problem can arise in 2 different ways. Customer installs / configures some software (/version):

1. which is later found vulnerable to an exploit; provider is aware of the vulnerability but does not patch on this server because the software is not known to be installed (or configured in a vulnerable way) here
    2. provider performs pro-active patching / updates (potentially in response to a vulnerability identified elsewhere in the system), and inadvertently resets customised configuration or creates a conflict

These sort of issues can easily arise in relation to additional Apache modules, proxies/caches, custom interpreters etc. which are exactly the sort of things you mentioned.

Additionally there is a support issue. Imagine that there is an outage on the server in the middle of the night. The 1 technical person in the organisation who knows how this is all supposed to be configured is on holiday or asleep etc. so cannot be reached. The provider needs to get that site/server back up on their own without a clue how it was configured before; the only person they can reach at that time on the customer's side is the business owner who is not technical at all.

How is the provider supposed to provide a resolution in that kind of scenario? For the sake of potentially saving some minutes via some 'DIY' admin at a previous time, the business is now offline for (at best) a number of hours.

Alternatively, let your provider manage your server (as you pay them to do), and this issue is avoided completely (ideally), or else easily and quickly resolvable by the provider without involving anyone at the customer's side. (of course, the provider's monitoring should detect the presence of the issue in the first place, and their 24x7 team should be on top of it before you could even think of opening a report).

It's not like, just because you are giving root access they no longer get the managed levels of service you as a provider may offer, that is always there, it's about having that option and flexibility.
    As above, it isn't about limiting technical flexibility (though that may be the case at some providers; YMMV). It's about setting systems and processes up so that the worst case scenarios can be handled effectively and in a timely manner - and also maintaining a high standard of security (so critical vulnerabilities do not go unpatched). I think everybody buying a fully managed server has these aims and objectives primary before anything else (if those things are unimportant to them, the budget option of an unmanaged server is much more logical). That being the case, why put those things in jeopardy on the pretence of added flexibility?

I have been using Site5 Cloud mainly because of low cost pricing model. Their service/support/infra is more or less satisfactory.