Move from reseller to Managed VPS

Hi,

I've been with my current hosts for a few years now but the level of service is really starting to become an issue and I'm losing confidence and am unwilling to sell hosting to new clients as I don't feel I can provide a reliable service.

We constantly get blacklisted because of spam sent from the server (currently haven't been able to email anyone at BT for 3 days) and recently I found out that absolutely no backups were being taken of data. Was then told that this was sorted and found out a week later nothing had been backed up as it had failed again but nobody thought to mention it.

So.

Do I move to another company or to a VPS provided by the same company? How do other companies deal with blacklisting affecting everyone on shared hosting? Do other companies provide reliable daily backups of data?

And if I do move, I'm looking for a UK based company.

Thanks.

If they aren't taking backups of the shared hosting nodes, what promise do you have that they'll do it for the VPS nodes?

If you have some wiggle room in your budget you should talk with knownhost. They've got an awesome reputation everywhere.

Francisco

Quote Originally Posted by DeltaAnime View Post
    If they aren't taking backups of the shared hosting nodes, what promise do you have that they'll do it for the VPS nodes?
    This is an excellent point.

I know that I would not trust a company that isn't taking backups but advertises the fact that they do.

I know that you're looking for a UK provider, is there any reason in particular for this? I would highly recommend KnownHost or WiredTree, but they're both US based.

Also, do you have a set budget in mind?

if your budget is not problem, so you can use vps from any good provider. if you think your current provider have a good reputation, it will be ok.
    and if you have a very small clients, so reseller is good choice.

Thanks for your replies. Some good food for thought there and I appreciate your input.

You are right about trust. I feel I don't trust my current host any more but it's the hassle of moving to another that is making me think staying might be an idea... But how important is trust!

My budget would be around £30-£40 p/m so both the KnownHost & WiredTree products fit the bill. I will research them some more and check reviews on here.

I mentioned UK provider purely because I & my clients are mostly UK based but in reality I suppose it doesn't actually matter.

Most of the host will avoid or try to protect their IP from being blacklisted by any third party filter.
    You have to actually sort out the problem why it is blacklisted and kick out any abusive customer. Change of hosting plan doesn't really solve your problem. Of course data backup is different issue.
    ControlVM.com :: Elastic Cloud Hosting Alternatives to VPS Reliable Cloud Server
    Enterprise Hosting @
    Malaysia ● Germany ● USA ● Singapore
    We Accept: Paypal
    Alipay GrabPay Credit/Debit Card FPX Bank Transfer Bank TT

Quote Originally Posted by ControlVM View Post
    Most of the host will avoid or try to protect their IP from being blacklisted by any third party filter.
    Agreed. There have been many mentions of thresholds and scripts to automatically suspend spamming accounts but we seem to lurch from blacklist to blacklist with tiresome regularity.

Hi do you have separate IP, or shared with their other clients? If you are in shared IP, then get clean dedicated IP.
    ShineHost :: Fully Managed & Unmanaged KVM VPS & Dedicated Servers.
    Customise VPS Solution : Email: admin@shinehost.in | Skype : shinehostvps
    Linux & Windows KVM VPS | 100% Managed Servers |99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by Digital Essence View Post
    Do I move to another company or to a VPS provided by the same company?
    I agree with others, if they can't even manage to backup shared how can you trust them to backup vps

How do other companies deal with blacklisting affecting everyone on shared hosting?
    Usually by finding/removing account that's causing the problem in the first place. Can also offer client who it's affecting a dedicated IP and have their mail run through that IP instead which helps prevent issues with your own mail being sent/received.

Do other companies provide reliable daily backups of data
    All providers should do unless they specifically state that they don't include backups.

I feel I don't trust my current host any more but it's the hassle of moving to another that is making me think staying might be an idea... But how important is trust!
    You shouldn't feel like you have to stay with the provider and you certainly don't want to let them know the same or they may just take the pee even more. It's not as difficult to transfer site(s) to different servers as you might think it is, and any decent provider should do the transfer for you at no extra cost. So if provider is constantly having issues and you've given them many chances it'd make sense to try moving to a provider who can provide a better service. I've personally used about 20-30 hosting providers over the past 10+yrs. Definitely good to try different providers now and again so you get to know who are the most reliable ones.

I mentioned UK provider purely because I & my clients are mostly UK based but in reality I suppose it doesn't actually matter.
    Location does matter as if choose UK you'll get lower latency which the majority of your visitors will notice and thank you for it. Though could use any location and use something like CloudFlare.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

If you want a UK VPS.....FutureHosting is who to go for!

Quote Originally Posted by AcclaimedHost Alan View Post
    This is an excellent point. I know that I would not trust a company that isn't taking backups but advertises the fact that they do. I know that you're looking for a UK provider, is there any reason in particular for this? I would highly recommend KnownHost or WiredTree, but they're both US based.

Also, do you have a set budget in mind?
    Thank you for the mention AcclaimedHost Alan!

Digital Essence, any reputable fully managed VPS provider should help you narrow down the source of spam with a little bit of footwork through the command line. It's just a matter of connecting the dots while it's happening. Beyond identification through good old fashioned sysadmin work, there are also malware scans for Linux specifically to help detect modified PHP scripts that may be causing you problems.
    James Webb
    WiredTree Fully Managed VPS and Dedicated Hosting | New: Pure SSD RAID-10 Fully Managed VPS
    Follow us on Twitter: @WiredTree | Like us on Facebook: facebook.com/WiredTree
    james@wiredtree.com | toll-free: 1.866.523.8733 local: +1.312.447.0510

There are lot of reasons for spamming, you need to get the bottom of it. Yet it is very difficult to prevent.

>> Inform all your client to upgrade softwares to latest version and use strong password for all the logins.
    >> Prevent nobody users from sending emails
    >> limit number of recipients in an email.
    >> enable smtp tweaks in csf
    >> limit number of emails per hour per domain

Unfortunately this company have done nothing to help the spamming. It has only ever been one of my clients once, the rest of the time it's another account outwith my control.

I've had several of my clients Wordpress sites hacked even when Wordpress, themes and all plugins were bang up to date.

Going back to email. Today we have suffered from a 3+ hour email outage due to an 550 Administrative prohibition error.

Here's their reply to my ticket 3 hours after I first submitted it:

"I have found the problem and going to fix it. It should be fixed in one hour.

If you need any more help, please let me know.

Regards,"

And that is it, no apology, no explanation nothing.

Time to move. Perhaps not to a VPS but just to a decent company who can provide reliable reseller hosting.

Doesn't sound like a good company at all, if it was me I would be shopping around and moving asap

Is your current host giving you an unmanaged solution?

I would also get moving as soon as possible but with a budget of £30-40 per month you should be able to find a good fully-managed VPS with the support you need.
    Akin Olagbaiye | akin@tsohost.com | +44 203 137 5608
    Shared Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | Reseller Hosting | Managed Hosting | Domain Names | Email Hosting | SSL Certificates
    TSOHost | www.tsohost.com - Proudly based in the United Kingdom