Smile SecureDragon VPS 1+ Year Review

Iíve used SecureDragon for over a year now (since November 2012), and I wanted to give them credit for providing a great service. Iíve used many different services, and I think this is one of the best.

SecureDragon became popular for providing small VPSís with even less than 128MB RAM, and my first one was a 64MB OpenVZ VPS at their Florida location. After they began offering service in Denver, I picked up another 64MB OpenVZ VPS in Denver. Iíve used both of these mostly as VPNs.

The network quality for VPN use out of their Denver location (at Handy Networks) is the best Iíve ever used. Of course this can change over time, but so far so good.

The test for a VPN isnít just connectivity from you to the VPN, but also from the VPN to various CDNs. The speed test from your VPN server may be great, but trying to stream over it may be a challenge if the network quality is poor. If you want a VPS for VPN use, my advice is to get a Dragon in Denver.

I recently picked up a new 1GB OpenVZ VPS with SecureDragon in Denver to try to use for web hosting, and a second one in Los Angeles for monitoring, DNS, and backups.

I usually prefer to use 512MB Xen or KVM VPSís for web hosting. I last tried OpenVZ many years ago for web hosting and found it using way more RAM than it did on my Xen server, and Iíve avoided it since then. But a good deal on the SecureDragon VPS came up, and with the memory management changes and introduction of VSWAP for OpenVZ, I thought Iíd give it another try.

Iím finding that a similar setup on OpenVZ is using a bit more than twice as much RAM as on Xen or KVM. Whereas Iím using around 250MB RAM on Xen or KVM, OpenVZ is consuming around 530MB. Everything is nice and snappy so far, though, so Iíll continue to use it. Itís a good thing itís 1GB for OpenVZ instead of 512MB!

Iíve only had to contact support once, for a simple matter, but the response was very quick and polite. Everything else just works.

They also offer KVM VPSís, DDOS protected OpenVZ VPSís, backup servers, and CPanel hosting, though I havenít used their other services.

They just sent out an email announcing that theyíll be adding four new locations: Atlanta GA, Dallas TX, Phoenix AZ, and Weehawken NJ to add to their five existing locations (Tampa FL, Denver CO, Los Angeles CA, Chicago IL, and Portland OR). I wish them lots of successĖthey deserve it.

i had used them on the past and their service was great,,never got down time for almost 2yers

United States
    Happy to see another satisfied customer
    Snoork Hosting - Enterprise Servers | DDoS Protected Network
    99.9% Network Uptime | 15 Minute Ticket Response Time | 24/7 Live Chat
    Check Out Our Dedicated Server Specials For Amazing Discounts & Promotions