What's the best solution for me?

Hi,

I would need some help from you guys.
    So my problem is, that I need a server, which can handle around 2-3k visitors at the same time. I am not sure what the best solution would be? CDN, Dedicated, or use a load balancer like liquidweb??

I am still new to this

Thanks

what is your budget ?

2-3k visitor seems like not really much. What server you're using now and that will help us to give you more suggestion.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPiang View Post
    2-3k visitor seems like not really much. What server you're using now and that will help us to give you more suggestion.
    Really?

>> 2-3k visitors at the same time

Ahhh...

It all depends on your content. If they are streaming all different content at the same time, you need to invest a lot in your infrastructure. In contrast if they are just looking on a static html page - single server will be able to handle it.

What are you going to host ?
    Alnitech.com - dedicated servers for your business
    Dedicated Servers , Disaster Recovery, IaaS, BGP Announcement & More.
    ✓ 24x7 h/w Support & Server Monitoring
    ✓ 21-day Money-back Guarantee

Like alnitech already said, it's 2-3k visitors the same time, not throughout the whole day. And they would mainly all visit the same page. I am hosting images and also have embeded youtube videos.

Okay so your main concerns are a good network speed to ensure smooth video streaming as well as a high bandwidth allowance to allow for all 3000 visitors to have instant load times.

But what is you location and budget? Is it just one simple website (few pages) with lots of content?
    Akin Olagbaiye | akin@tsohost.com | +44 203 137 5608
    Shared Hosting | VPS | Dedicated Servers | Reseller Hosting | Managed Hosting | Domain Names | Email Hosting | SSL Certificates
    TSOHost | www.tsohost.com - Proudly based in the United Kingdom

You should give us some more information about your website for us to suggest you the best solution:

1. What does your website run on ? Is it wordpress/CMS or custom code?
    2. Do you have 3k visitors on the website 24 hours a day or is that just the peak traffic you achieve at times?
    3. If you have this site already hosted somewhere, what is the current config it works on.

This would give out a clear picture of what you ideally want to host.
    || Tecsys Solutions LLC | Outperforming the Performers!! ||
    || Outsourced Server Management and Technical Support Solutions ||
    || Now Offering Secure Managed VPS and Dedicated Servers specially setup for Hosting Providers ||
    || https://www.24x7TechnicalSupport.net || https://www.mxv.net ||

@Akin Olagbaiye
    I think the video streaming isn't a problem, since it's embedded from youtube, so it won't take my server ressources.
    The visititors will be from all around the world, mainly USA. Budget is up to 150$.
    @tecsys
    1. It's php/html. Backend is wp, but that isn't really a deciding factor
    2. The 3k visitors are peak traffic. So it may occur several times a day. Distributed around the whole day it would be more of course. But the main issue is to handle all the sudden visitors, so that the site doesn't go down.
    3. Don't have it live yet.

EDIT:
    I'm not sure if a dedicated will solve my problem. Because 2 years ago, I was having the same problems with this kind of peak traffic, and a dedicated didnt really help me. So I thought there are some different solutions...
    Last edited by blue8; 02-07-2014 at 06:52 AM.

"3k visitors at the same time" makes no sense if you don't provide how this data was collected. Every form of user counter requires the question of over time. "Same time" is not something that exists. One might interpret same time as requests over a minute or another might interpret over a second. But the difference would be a factor of 60:1.

Stats much more important than visitor count is a question of pageviews. How many page views you get per minute for example. But even this isn't conclusively meaningful. Because...

> It's php/html. Backend is wp, but that isn't really a deciding factor

But that is a deciding factor! What you're running makes more difference than anything else! A crummy old computer could possibly handle a million page requests a minute if it were in pure html. But you could need huge setups that costs millions if that server was doing some heavy work. Like a php application for example. And what application matters too!

If your application was really heavy, maybe you can only handle 1 view per minute! We'd never really know.

If we knew what application you were running, we could compare against other systems running the same/similar application to give a relative estimate of what you could handle.

If your application is custom, nobody knows! You'll have to benchmark, experiment to figure out what is necessary.

> and a dedicated didnt really help me.

Not all dedicated are the same. A low budget atom system would be orders of magnitude slower and worse performing than a beefy system. The setup is also a complete game changer.

What did you have before?
    What kind of problems did you have at your peak?
    Why didn't it help you?
    What have you tried to resolve the problem?
    Last edited by Grumps; 02-07-2014 at 08:36 AM.
    I have no sig to spam.

Well, with "same time" I meant that it happens that those 3k visitors all land on the site within 1 minute. PageViews could be somewhere around 15k. To give you an example, the site is built similiar to buzzfeed.com
    Before I was running a dedicated server from domainfactory. Problem was, that the site went down and wasn't available (503) due to the amount of visitors. If I remember correctly and the server coniguration didnt change, then it had the following specs:
    Intel Core i5 3,3 GHz
    16 GB RAM
    2 x 750 GB HDD
    Traffic-Flatrate 1 Gbit/s

Quote Originally Posted by blue8 View Post
    Well, with "same time" I meant that it happens that those 3k visitors all land on the site within 1 minute. PageViews could be somewhere around 15k. To give you an example, the site is built similiar to buzzfeed.com
    Before I was running a dedicated server from domainfactory. Problem was, that the site went down and wasn't available (503) due to the amount of visitors. If I remember correctly and the server coniguration didnt change, then it had the following specs:
    Intel Core i5 3,3 GHz
    16 GB RAM
    2 x 750 GB HDD
    Traffic-Flatrate 1 Gbit/s

You need better CPU and Drives if you are getting that such high visitors and I am sure it will continue to increase. You need to consider some allowance to handle more visitors then optimize the server.

Did you contact your current host for this setup?

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Did you have professional help to manage that?

I seriously have a difficulty imagining that you were able to push out 15k dynamic page views a minute from a crappy setup like that. Or that if you really had that kind of page views, that you'd invest so little money in servers that would easily returned the monthly cost in mere few hours of runtime from just ONE ad.

Sorry if you find this offensive, but I find it much more likely that your stats are flawed rather than to believe that you were pushing that many page views from what you had.

If we reverse calculate. You had 3k visitors/min. That's 4.3m visitors per day. Buzzfeed.com gets 16m visitors per day. You're stating that you were 1/4 size of buzzfeed -- at least during peak.

Intel Core i5 3,3 GHz <-- this is a desktop processor. Shouldn't be using for servers that matter.
    16 GB RAM
    2 x 750 GB HDD <-- This was likely your bottleneck.
    Traffic-Flatrate 1 Gbit/s <-- This is probably shared line, assuming based on your current budget. The quality of the line is also highly questionable as how to badly it was oversold.
    I have no sig to spam.

you don't need to change anything just setup a cloudflare on it and everything will be ok the CloudFlare Pro will work fine for you just for a 20 per month

What is the specification of the current server you have the site running on?
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

@badboyx I will try them out. @Netdepot Dont have it on any server now

Quote Originally Posted by blue8 View Post
    @badboyx I will try them out. @Netdepot Dont have it on any server now
    So it's in the planning stages at the moment? you can start off with a standard server and add resources or upgrade as you grow.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

It seems that you have this site already hosted somewhere,
    what is the current config it works on?

I would say you should design your site keeping in mind such popularity. It may save you a lot of money on a long run.

- If you have specific "landing" pages where all your traffic goes, just make them static without any php tag and call to DB (including authentication, authorization and etc...). Just host them outside of your CMS.

- Any additional JS file or CSS file adds one more GET request. Just use in-line CSS and JS for this page. The same for images. Try just not to use images/bitmaps/icons.

- Keep your HTML simple and it save you a lot of traffic in this case

If images as must on your website you may always use proxy-based solutions like cloudflare, cloudlayar both of them are free.
    Alnitech.com - dedicated servers for your business
    Dedicated Servers , Disaster Recovery, IaaS, BGP Announcement & More.
    ✓ 24x7 h/w Support & Server Monitoring
    ✓ 21-day Money-back Guarantee