Results 1 to 36 of 36
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,641

    Thumbs up 30 day review of DigitalOcean

    When I first started looking at Cloud hosting, I did quickly hear about two services, iwStack.com and DigitalOcean. One month ago I signup for an account with DO, and have used their Amsterdam 2 DC since that. As always I started with a small VPS plan, to test uptime, network, hardware etc. Here is my review of DigitalOcean.

    Product/hardware/price

    DigitalOcean is not really a cloud host, but they offer cloud features like pay by the hour, snapshots, templates, quick deployment, use your credit to create lots of servers, backups, several locations etc. But still, you get a “normal” KVM server. They have no High Availability, no Fail-Over, no Own ISO, no External Firewall with GUI etc like iwStack do.


    But still, they have a really good product. It’s super simple to create new droplets, it takes only around 55 seconds before it is online (you get the root password on e-mail)


    Their prices starts at $5/mo or $0.007/hour. You pay for what you use, and they do only bill by the hour. But they do charge you 100% regardless of your servers is turned on or off. Still, you can create a template, and delete your server, then recreate it later on when you need it, without paying for it. Unlike iwStack.com, they do not charge for template/backup disk space.

    Service/Support

    The first (and only) time I used their support so far, it was a mixed experience. I asked them some really short and clear questions, and got BS replies back. But I had stumbled on a little “trade” secret, that the normal support guy did not know (or wanted to reply on). I did not understand why I could not get any reply, after I had repeated my self for the third time. I then tweeted about this issue, and then it took under 10 minutes before I got a reply, both on twitter and on my support ticket. This time from a Support Specialist. I got a really good explanation on my question, and as a really nice thing I got a credit on my account.

    Benchmark

    The first test is with a 16 GB 8vCore server, and I got a UnixBench result of 2844. I did then run a test on a 64 GB 20vCore server, and the result was: 4226 points. It currently holds the 5.place on my Top20 list. I could not test their 96 GB RAM 24vCore server, they have disabled it on all locations because of high demand.

    I get an average of 215 MB/S on my DD test, and thats not so impressive since they offer pure SSD disks on the nodes. I get twice that on iwStack, that “only” used normal disks in a SAN. Still, 215 MB/s is not bad, but it’s not Ramnode speeds either.

    Network/uptime

    My monitoring services tells me that I have a 100% uptime the last 30 days with 1 minute monitors. I’m using their AMS2 location for my test server.

    Conclusion

    DigitalOcean is not a complete cloud host, it lack some cloud features like HA, fail-over, firewall etc, but it still is a really good host. Servers is deployed within one minute, you can choose from several locations, templates etc. You can create templates and backups that you can transfer from EU to US and visa versa.


    Their servers is really good, you can resize your servers with one click, and their uptime is really good. (the best).
    Signup and do a test for your self, I’m sure you will like DO as much as I do.

    Read the complete review with pictures here...
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

  2. #2
    That is a very nice review once again Kenneth.
    DO was in my top list for EU Cloud, but it is bit disappointing for me that they do not have true cloud service.
    But still considerable. Did you tried their any other location such as US locations? And did you confirm asking to their support rep if they really use SSD in NL location? 215 MB/S is quite low in my opinion for a provider who actually claim as a Cloud Provider.
    ☆☆ AskForHost Web Hosting☆☆
    ►►Buffalo NY USA, Dallas USA, Amsterdam NL EU, London UK EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable VPS and Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,641
    Thank you, I use some times with my reviews, so glad somebody likes them. I have used their New York 2 location, and I did not get any better speeds there.
    If you take a look at serverbear.com you can see that nobody have got a better result then 375 MB/s from DO, that almost double of what I'm getting, but still, I think there is much more usage on their servers now.

    Edit:
    Sorry, people are getting speeds up to over 700 MB/S from DO, the average is max 375 MB/s.

    Edit 2:
    I did a new test now, and got an average of 445 MB/s on their AMS 1 location. So I'm sure their node load is higher now, then when to really good disk speeds test was created.

    But I have not asked their support about they using SSD or not. All info from their pages say that they only use SSD disks.
    Last edited by myhken; 02-06-2014 at 02:34 PM.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by myhken View Post
    Thank you, I use some times with my reviews, so glad somebody likes them. I have used their New York 2 location, and I did not get any better speeds there.
    If you take a look at serverbear.com you can see that nobody have got a better result then 375 MB/s from DO, that almost double of what I'm getting, but still, I think there is much more usage on their servers now.

    Edit:
    Sorry, people are getting speeds up to over 700 MB/S from DO, the average is max 375 MB/s.

    But I have not asked their support about they using SSD or not. All info from their pages say that they only use SSD disks.
    Yep they mentioned only SSD Drives on their website. But seeing IO speed, seems like servers are crowded. But benchmark result is actually bit better than the IO ratio.
    Will give them a try.
    Thanks very much for a detailed review
    ☆☆ AskForHost Web Hosting☆☆
    ►►Buffalo NY USA, Dallas USA, Amsterdam NL EU, London UK EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable VPS and Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,641
    Yea, you just missed my Edit 2: I got an average of 445 MB/s just now. But I'm sure their servers it some crowded lately, since they often remove location from the list of available locations, and they have set limits to how big droplets you can create on several locations.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by myhken View Post
    Yea, you just missed my Edit 2: I got an average of 445 MB/s just now. But I'm sure their servers it some crowded lately, since they often remove location from the list of available locations, and they have set limits to how big droplets you can create on several locations.
    Thank you once again.
    IwStack got some better features than DO,
    Do they offer NL Location?
    ☆☆ AskForHost Web Hosting☆☆
    ►►Buffalo NY USA, Dallas USA, Amsterdam NL EU, London UK EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable VPS and Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by Askforhost View Post
    Thank you once again.
    IwStack got some better features than DO,
    Do they offer NL Location?
    No, just Italy. But they are beyond great.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by myhken View Post
    No, just Italy. But they are beyond great.
    That's a negative point for me,
    I will check your list again to consider a Cloud/KVM Provider for NL.
    ☆☆ AskForHost Web Hosting☆☆
    ►►Buffalo NY USA, Dallas USA, Amsterdam NL EU, London UK EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable VPS and Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,641
    I just wanted to share one more thing.

    Creating a new 64 GB RAM, 640 GB SSD disk, 20vCore server at DigitalOcean takes under one minute. What other host let you create a 64 GB RAM server in 55 seconds?

    Real cloud or not, still, thats is a really good feature they have.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,641
    Just an update:
    Today DigitalOcean opened their Singapore DC (SGP1), so now they have locations in San Fransisco, New York, Amsterdam (NL) and Singapore.

    Connections speeds:

    [[email protected] ~]# wget freevps.us/downloads/bench.sh -O - -o /dev/null|bash
    CPU model : QEMU Virtual CPU version 1.5.0
    Number of cores : 1
    CPU frequency : 1999.999 MHz
    Total amount of ram : 498 MB
    Total amount of swap : 0 MB
    System uptime : 2 min,
    Download speed from CacheFly: 25.8MB/s
    Download speed from Coloat, Atlanta GA: 4.81MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Dallas, TX: 7.75MB/s
    Download speed from Linode, Tokyo, JP: 7.77MB/s
    Download speed from i3d.net, Rotterdam, NL: 5.76MB/s
    Download speed from Leaseweb, Haarlem, NL: 6.51MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Singapore: 70.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Seattle, WA: 11.2MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, San Jose, CA: 8.68MB/s
    Download speed from Softlayer, Washington, DC: 9.62MB/s
    I/O speed : 252 MB/s
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

  11. #11
    Quote Originally Posted by myhken View Post
    Just an update:
    Today DigitalOcean opened their Singapore DC (SGP1), so now they have locations in San Fransisco, New York, Amsterdam (NL) and Singapore.

    Connections speeds:
    That's Awesome
    ☆☆ AskForHost Web Hosting☆☆
    ►►Buffalo NY USA, Dallas USA, Amsterdam NL EU, London UK EU based Shared and Reseller Web Hosting◄◄
    ►►
    Affordable VPS and Dedicated Server Provider◄◄

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    267
    Are the prices higher in Singapore? They would have to increase price, or reduce the bandwidth.

    Otherwise you could get 100tb worth of bandwidth for $500/month. The market rate for that is > $3000 I believe.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,641
    No the prices is just the same on all DigitalOcean locations:

    $5/mo for 512 MB RAM, 20 GB disk, 1 TB bw, and up.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	110214dosingapore3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	63.4 KB 
ID:	27504
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    267
    Very nice, thanks!

  15. #15
    Bandwidth in Asia is expensive. Must be covering it using other server locations. Not sure how long it will last.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Internet
    Posts
    2,606
    Even using 'cheap' international bandwidth in Asia you're looking at $60-90 on bandwidth alone for their $5 plan.

    I wonder how much traffic back hauls to LA

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    260
    Quote Originally Posted by myhken View Post
    ...Service/Support

    The first (and only) time I used their support so far, it was a mixed experience. I asked them some really short and clear questions, and got BS replies back. But I had stumbled on a little “trade” secret, that the normal support guy did not know (or wanted to reply on). I did not understand why I could not get any reply, after I had repeated my self for the third time. I then tweeted about this issue, and then it took under 10 minutes before I got a reply, both on twitter and on my support ticket. This time from a Support Specialist. I got a really good explanation on my question, and as a really nice thing I got a credit on my account.

    ...[/URL]
    It's sad to see that you need to go public through Twitter or WHT in order to get good technical support. Thanks for the tip!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by IT Tech View Post
    It's sad to see that you need to go public through Twitter or WHT in order to get good technical support. Thanks for the tip!
    As I wrote, this was not a technical support issue, is was more a billing/sale issue, but they do not have any place there you can say that it is a support or sale/billing issue when you create tickets.

    But DO is not the only company replying fast(er) on tickets after people etc start a thread here on WHT or other forums.

    I have used DigitalOcean for around 2 months now, and I'm really happy with their service. The uptime is still 100%, the server is still fast, the network is good with good speed to all of my other locations.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Barcelona, Spain
    Posts
    3,397
    As a DO user myself, I can only say this review is spot on Good service, don't expect the world for 5 bucks per droplet, but they surely offer a good product, with an amazing library of manuals and tutorials written by people who got paid to do so, so they're all high quality.
    hi there!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    259
    Nice review, we use a couple of the droplets for other things, and there stable and awesome uptime, plus like the others say, for $5 you cant go wrong.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    397
    Quote Originally Posted by Flapadar View Post
    Even using 'cheap' international bandwidth in Asia you're looking at $60-90 on bandwidth alone for their $5 plan.

    I wonder how much traffic back hauls to LA
    Singapore is a bit of an exception. We have Softlayer dedicated servers in Singapore which come with 20TB traffic and are only $20 more expensive than their US counterpart. Not too bad IMHO.

  22. #22
    Digital ocean, good service, servers, tutorials and the price.

  23. #23
    Thanks for the review. I've found Digital Oceans VPS's to run a little slow though.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by bitcloudsolutions View Post
    Thanks for the review. I've found Digital Oceans VPS's to run a little slow though.
    And what is slow with your server?
    DigitalOcean have a great UnixBenh score for their servers, and there disk IO is from around 215 MB/s and up. Their Network speeds is also great.
    So I wonder what is slow on your server. And location of the server.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,641
    It's now 3 months since I signup with DigitalOcean, and I have to say that I do not regret at all. Their service has been really great, their servers works perfect (I'm using their AMS1 and NY2 DC), their network has 100% uptime last 3 months, so everything is just perfect.
    DO is now talking about that their next data center will maybe be in the UK. So thats good new for people that need EU servers.


    For you that don't know what DigitalOcean is, <<snipped>> In short, they offer "cloud" KVM servers, deployed in a minute, in 6 different data centers around the world. Their prices starts at $5/mo for a 512 MB RAM, 20 GB SSD disk, 1 TB BW KVM server. they do charge hour by hour, so if you destroy a "droplet" you don't pay for it.


    So, DigitalOcean is still a very good choice for anybody not needing full cloud service, like what you get with iwStack.com
    Last edited by foobic; 04-06-2014 at 10:47 PM.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

  26. #26
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by myhken View Post
    I just wanted to share one more thing.

    Creating a new 64 GB RAM, 640 GB SSD disk, 20vCore server at DigitalOcean takes under one minute. What other host let you create a 64 GB RAM server in 55 seconds?

    Real cloud or not, still, thats is a really good feature they have.
    Hello,
    What is real cloud ? What are digitalocean's differences from other "real" cloud providers, assuming they are a semi-real provider.

    Cagatay
    Last edited by Eretek; 07-18-2014 at 02:25 PM.

  27. #27
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,641
    Quote Originally Posted by cagatay View Post
    Hello,
    What is real cloud ? What are digitalocean's differences from other "real" cloud providers, assuming they are a semi-real provider.

    Cagatay
    They have no High Availability, no Fail-Over, no Own ISO, no External Firewall with GUI etc
    DigitalOcean do only offer normal KVM servers on normal nodes. If the node goes down, your server goes down.
    But they offer lots of cloud features, like hourly payment, rapid deployment, several locations, snapshots, backups, private network, templates.

    Still, they are not a real cloud service like etc: IwStack.com
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

  28. #28
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by myhken View Post
    They have no High Availability, no Fail-Over, no Own ISO, no External Firewall with GUI etc
    DigitalOcean do only offer normal KVM servers on normal nodes. If the node goes down, your server goes down.
    But they offer lots of cloud features, like hourly payment, rapid deployment, several locations, snapshots, backups, private network, templates.

    Still, they are not a real cloud service like etc: IwStack.com
    Thanks for replying. Can you please suggest me low-cost, but reliable real cloud providers? manageable firewall sounds nice.

  29. #29
    Do you happen to have any IOP tests? The tests you showed are throughput tests. Just curious to see what the IOPs look like, which is generally related to performance of applications.

  30. #30
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    253
    Hello again,
    Please see my unixbench results below. This is Ramnode's kvm 512 mb 2 core netherlands package. What is your opinion?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	screen.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	152.9 KB 
ID:	28710
    Last edited by Eretek; 07-18-2014 at 03:36 PM.

  31. #31
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Norway
    Posts
    1,641
    I have not tested many "real" cloud hosts, just iwstack.com (in Italy).
    What I can say is that you will not get any better UnixBench score moving from Ramnode to Iwstack.com. But you will get allot more features.
    I also have to say that DigitalOcean and Vultr.com is really good hosts, if you really don't need all "real cloud features, maybe just go with one of them.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

  32. #32
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by myhken View Post
    I have not tested many "real" cloud hosts, just iwstack.com (in Italy).
    What I can say is that you will not get any better UnixBench score moving from Ramnode to Iwstack.com. But you will get allot more features.
    I also have to say that DigitalOcean and Vultr.com is really good hosts, if you really don't need all "real cloud features, maybe just go with one of them.
    I am running LAMP (Wordpress)
    Ramnode offers 2 cores in 512 mb plan $ 7
    Digitalocean offers 1 core in 1 gb plan $ 10

    What does really matter in cpu cores? 2 core means 2x cpu power? can LAMP take advantage of multi cores?

    if you were to choose between cores and ram, would you go with the more ram (digitalocean) or more cores (ramnode)? (pls don't consider other features for now)

  33. #33
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Posts
    53
    Quote Originally Posted by cagatay View Post
    I am running LAMP (Wordpress)
    Ramnode offers 2 cores in 512 mb plan $ 7
    Digitalocean offers 1 core in 1 gb plan $ 10

    What does really matter in cpu cores? 2 core means 2x cpu power? can LAMP take advantage of multi cores?

    if you were to choose between cores and ram, would you go with the more ram (digitalocean) or more cores (ramnode)? (pls don't consider other features for now)
    Depends what your running...

    Although I've long outgrown KVM VPS, I'd want RAM before cores - that's likely to be the first bottleneck. You can only expect so much at those price points though.

  34. #34
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Turkey
    Posts
    253
    Quote Originally Posted by FearData View Post
    Depends what your running...

    Although I've long outgrown KVM VPS, I'd want RAM before cores - that's likely to be the first bottleneck. You can only expect so much at those price points though.
    I run wordpress (nginx + apache + mysql + apc cache + dns + mail + a lightweight cp vestacp

    I have 512 mb and free ram is nearly 20 mb (I also use swap)
    if mysql exceeds more than 50 simultaneous connections/queries, it crashes.

    ok, I ll go with more ram.

  35. #35

    I host through DO

    I have multiple DO "droplets", seems they take thier sweet time bringing my "droplet" / server down. Fast? A terabyte out in 15 days off one server, demand comes to that server. I have seen 1/2 a petabyte in a month. We have 15, 14 hosted though Digiatal Ocean. In one month I pay more then I do in a year for server #15. I do enjoy full rights on the servers I have written software to push them forward, I am a O/S architect and leading programmer of Ultimate Edition Linux. I have written software to remove my job as O/S architect.

    What do you gents suggest?

    TheeMahn,

  36. #36
    I am currently using them to host some Laraval applications
    it is a little bit tricky if you are not familiar on to install everything yourself.

Similar Threads

  1. DigitalOcean 5 Month Review
    By monkeypaw201 in forum VPS Hosting
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 12-20-2013, 07:22 PM
  2. Peer1 / Serverbeach.com review - 7 day review
    By thehosterdude in forum Dedicated Server
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 02-12-2013, 12:31 PM
  3. VPS from virpus - (1 day review : 6 months review)
    By alsemany in forum VPS Hosting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-01-2012, 12:37 PM
  4. Replies: 32
    Last Post: 11-04-2007, 12:53 AM
  5. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 07-06-2007, 10:19 PM

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •