Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

FDC woes and Denver outage

Is anyone else having problem with FDC right now? We have a server in Denver and it's completely offline for about 5 hours now. When I brought this up to them this is the canned response I got:

Due to issues with our cooling systems caused by inclement weather in the denver area, we have been forced to temporarily shutdown a portion of our datacenter until the issue can be resolved. Your server will be brought back online as soon temperatures return to normal within the datacenter. We apologize for the inconvenience.
    This has been an ongoing issue throughout the day due to extreme outside temperatures. We do not currently have an ETA for when this will be resolved.
    What the heck!? They don't have good enough equipment, so I have to just stay offline till it cools down instead of them buying better cooling equipment?

That being said according to weather.com it's like 18F out, why is it so hot for them?

I've heard everything now.

This is one of the reasons why you should purchase your services from a reputable data center, not saying FDC isn't they have been around for many many years. Cheaper is not always the answer and this is why many people will learn the hard way.

Keep in mind that this is the data center made famous for the cardboard computer case and floor fan cooling solution. They have zero uptime guarantees, and you get what you pay for. Reliability-wise, a single-homed server hosted in your basement is probably better than what you get with FDC's "bargain" line. (Not that the "enterprise" line is actually good, but at least you get real server hardware hosted in an actual data center.)

Whats your processor model and how much you pay monthly ?
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

That's not too good that they have to shutdown a part of their DC to keep on running.
    I hope the weather issues get resolved soon.
    » www.InstantDedicated.com - Online in no time
    » Dedicated Servers in [EU] Netherlands + Belgium with DAILY support, also on weekends
    » 3.2 Tbit/s Network AS49453 with only 100 Gbit/s uplink backbone
    » 1G/10G/40G/100 Gbit ports available | 99,99% Network Uptime goal

Just wondering isn't Denver in the US ? And its Winter there so they have problem with cooling ?
    Something new for me as I had seen some of my FB friend's posts complaining of extreme cold conditions.

This is just INSANE. They shut off our servers and don't even tell us. And they won't offer any account credit for this because they don't do that. This is the second time this has happened recently.

FDC will be loosing a customer.
    SpeedSmart.net - The ultimate HTML5 internet speed test & App

Quote Originally Posted by BenTenn View Post
    Just wondering isn't Denver in the US ? And its Winter there so they have problem with cooling ?
    Something new for me as I had seen some of my FB friend's posts complaining of extreme cold conditions.
    It is and its very cold with lots of snow, maybe that's just a made of story to hide the real issue with the DC.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

You get what you pay for. Don't be surprise if tomorrow they pull out your network cable because you are using too much of bandwidth. Because the prices they are offering are too low for the server configs they provide.

Quote Originally Posted by NetDepot - Terrence View Post
    It is and its very cold with lots of snow, maybe that's just a made of story to hide the real issue with the DC.
    Yeah. Even I feel the same because I just now spoke to someone and he is like the temperature is in minus 30s.

I know with some cooling units if it is too cold then the heat exchanger can freeze solid. We have a unit running in our office's server room that froze up when Ohio got hit with that -15F blast a few weeks ago and we had to shut it down so it could warm up and melt off.

That being said, a DC should have redundant cooling/heating/standby power/internet connectivity.

Quote Originally Posted by RP_Thoughtwire View Post
    I know with some cooling units if it is too cold then the heat exchanger can freeze solid. We have a unit running in our office's server room that froze up when Ohio got hit with that -15F blast a few weeks ago and we had to shut it down so it could warm up and melt off.

That being said, a DC should have redundant cooling/heating/standby power/internet connectivity.
    Not even that, if you have a DC in a location like Denver its common sense to have equipment that would be able to operate in that environment.
    Respectfully,
    Mr. Terrence

Not even that, if you have a DC in a location like Denver its common sense to have equipment that would be able to operate in that environment.
    You would certainly think so but it looks like that's not quite the case (or there is much more to meet the eye!)

We cannot entirely blame FDC for it. May be that's FDC's business model. You never know.
    Save costs on such equipment and offer cheaper servers to the clients.
    Anyways hope they get back online soon.

One of the servers in Denver already down for 5 hours, i been told by support that its Network issue.

I got the same response to my support ticket. I've been in Denver a long time and I don't remember this happening before, but what makes me mad is they shut off my server without telling me. You'd think if they're having a major problem, they'd at least notify us.

That's the pissy part, if you are having these problems use your stupid HostBill system and send a massive email to anyone in Denver. It's so simple, I can do it from my WHMCS why can't they!

I believe it is because the issue does not affect all customers, it is dedicated servers only (not all), it does not affect colocation customers.

It looks like they have real cheap infrastructure.
    Failure is success if we learn from it.

Guys next time purchase from reputable companies like netdepot,liquidweb,hivelocity,rackspace,peer1 etc and you will be fine.
    Failure is success if we learn from it.

I'm a colo customer with FDC in Denver and my servers shut themselves down due to thermal overload.

The thing that annoys me the most is that this happened only 2 months prior, almost to the day!

They had a similar outage stating:

Due to extreme weather conditions in the Denver area, we are are currently
    experiencing equipment failure. We hope to get it resolved asap.
    on December 5th 2013.

Something tells me they didn't learn their lesson from that outage and we all suffered for it.
    Robert Navarro
    Phiivo.com
    Fun, Personal, Programming!

Quote Originally Posted by rnavarro View Post
    Something tells me they didn't learn their lesson from that outage and we all suffered for it.
    Well, at least the time the issue did not affect colocation customers and our servers had adequate cooling during the time. So they took a lesson, but maybe partially.

Some servers were down more than 6-7 hours due to weather
    ADELINAhost (Established 2012)
    Shared Hosting - VPS - Dedicated Servers in more than 10 locations
    https://www.adelinahost.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ilya74 View Post
    Well, at least the time the issue did not affect colocation customers and our servers had adequate cooling during the time. So they took a lesson, but maybe partially.
    It definitely affected at least one colo customer, myself, I'm not sure who else is around me in the same rack but presumably that equipment had to deal with the same high temperatures, which isn't good for hardware longevity.
    Robert Navarro
    Phiivo.com
    Fun, Personal, Programming!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast