Moving from HostGator looking to Upgrade

I currently have 2 managed VPS with HostGator, 2 business shared hosting accounts, and a reseller account.
    Total monthly costs are $198 and since EIG bought them it just hasn't been the same. I'd gladly pay more for the old HostGator service as we had literally no issues in their Dallas location.

Constantly having out dated or insecure installs and manually having to update them or request a ticket to update them which sometimes takes days for a reply now where it use to be very timely. The forced IP change on all systems when they moved to Arizona lead to many cups of coffee.

Performance is constantly declining, especially on the weekends.
    Locked up mysql instances, random downtime etc.

Looking for a new provider that can help migrate over, makes sure Cpanel WHM VZ stay updated, and generally preventative maintenance instead of reactive. MySQL/PHP performance is the most important as we started having issues with it after the move to Arizona.
    Security hardening and some DDoS protection is a must as well which HostGator does do well.

Sometimes assistance with lesser known setups such as custom made Content Management Systems or Linux questions, but only when we can't find a solution online. HostGator is good with this as well but the performance, reliability and support delay are just too much.

I'll most likely rent a single managed VZ/WHM/Cpanel VPS to start to make sure there are not the same problems, if things go better than HostGator I'll be moving everything over and will promote your service to others when asked for a good provider, something I did for many years with HostGator before EIG.
    Last edited by KevinJ5; 02-05-2014 at 04:42 PM.

It seems like this is becoming more and more of a trend, in the sense people leaving HG since the EIG take over. It makes you wonder how EIG is successful in their process.

The good news is there are a lot of providers on this forum that will meet and exceed your needs and expectations, its just finding the one that best suits you. That is a good idea, no sense in moving all your services just to find out that the provider is no good. That's just more work than there needs to be.

Sounds like you are after just a good managed provider that knows there stuff. The best way to accomplish this I think is to find 3-4 good providers in the offers section of this forum that meet your needs. Draw up a pre-sales email addressing all your questions and send it to all them. In the mean time do some background review checks of them. Then see which provider answers the email best and which you feel most comfortable with, and then make your pick.

However to help people here suggest a good provider, you may want to answer the following questions:

1. What is an ideal location for this VPS?
    2. What is your ideal budget, probably right around what you are paying now?
    3. What are the specs of the VPS you need?

Best of luck with your search!
    SolaDrive - Enterprise Managed Solutions
    Specializing in Managed SSD VPS & Dedicated Servers in US & UK
    Rated #1 Provider at Top 20 VPS Providers For Performance
    Visit us at SolaDrive.com

Quote Originally Posted by KevinJ5 View Post
    I currently have 2 managed VPS with HostGator, 2 business shared hosting accounts, and a reseller account.

Total monthly costs are $198 and since EIG bought them it just hasn't been the same. I'd gladly pay more for the old HostGator service as we had literally no issues in their Dallas location.
    You have a very reasonable budget. Do you know what size you want your VPS to be? Are there certain technical specifications that you have in mind?

Looking for a new provider that can help migrate over, makes sure Cpanel WHM VZ stay updated, and generally preventative maintenance instead of reactive. MySQL/PHP performance is the most important as we started having issues with it after the move to Arizona.
    Security hardening and some DDoS protection is a must as well which HostGator does do well.
    You're going to have a little big of a hard time finding a provider who provides DDoS protection. I've personally found that using CloudFlare + CFS (firewall software that you can have your managed provider install on the server) is enough in many instances.

Have your sites been targeted in the past? Do you need a hardware DDoS firewall? Please mind that this will bring up your costs significantly, as there are providers who specialize in this (but they charge a pretty penny).

I understand that you're looking for proactive maintenance instead of reactive, and I can't think of a lot of providers who offer this other than FutureHosting. They have "business continuance protection" (which is not the same as DDoS mitigation but will absorb any bandwidth fees associated with it) as well as proactive management. I haven't personally used them, so I can't comment on the quality of their servers, but they do enjoy a very good reputation on these forums.

Sometimes assistance with lesser known setups such as custom made Content Management Systems or Linux questions, but only when we can't find a solution online. HostGator is good with this as well but the performance, reliability and support delay are just too much.
    In the industry, this is usually referred to as "third party scripting assistance". You'll usually be able to get best-effort (i.e. no guarantees, but they'll try their best) support on this, if you go with a quality managed provider.

Anyway, I hope this helps. A few names to shortlist would be KnownHost or WiredTree. Even for me, they're the "go to" guys when I need a managed VPS.

I suggest looking in to KnownHost for managed VPS. I have nothing but good things to say about them. Highly recommended. ( I made the switch from HG early fall )

Constantly having out dated or insecure installs and manually having to update them
    you need a provider with proactive management
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /

Thanks everyone for the information.
    Any well reviewed providers with pro-active management?
    I'm looking around on the forums but haven't seen anything yet that seemed to be totally solid and pro-active and I've just been very busy.

The VPS setups are the level 5 and level 4 from HG, so a 2.7GhZ core, 1824MB of RAM, 80GB of Space (only use around 10GB) 1425GB Bandwidth.

Originally Before EIG, they were both just level 3 and lower priced and did their job, but I've since upgraded to try and counteract the low performance in Arizona but it didn't seem to help much and I'm at my budget limit.

Since you are in hosting business, Isnt it good to taking dedicated server and make VPS and Reseller,shared accs there ?
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Openvz SolusVm VPS DDOS Protected Canada & Romania
    Dedicated Servers And Satellite Dish Colocation with 1Gbps For IPTV
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

i have moved 4 of 6 reseller accounts on hostgator, they use old technology and very slow

Quote Originally Posted by LankapartnerHost View Post
    Since you are in hosting business, Isnt it good to taking dedicated server and make VPS and Reseller,shared accs there ?
    I like having them on separate systems(one is private/test setup the other for reselling) and for the price I would only be able to rent 2 $100 setups which I don't think would get me very far.
    However I'm open to any option that can help alleviate the headaches HostGator has caused with the constant performance and outdated issues.

I'm not sure the exact rules on requests, but feel free to PM me any quotes or offers/recommendations if they're not allowed on the forum.

artetatu: Same issue here, some clients left due to this issue as well, so I'm still paying a premium price with HostGator but client's reported universally performance took a large drop and around half have left.
    The several days of downtime reconfiguring during the move and then another issue with their DNS server that universally affected thousands for 8+ hours didn't help either.

but feel free to PM me any quotes
    PM quotes are nor allowed either
    Lowest Host/Empire Technology LLC
    Offering Quality Shared, Reseller, VPS servers, and Dedicated Servers
    24x7 Tech Support http://empire-hosting.net
    XEN Servers Now http://xenserversnow.com - Budget XEN VPS /