Hetzner LARA console free?

Hi All,

Just got a tip from a friend that just left Hetzner due to a verry long discussion he has with the hetzner support department on LARA.
    He forwarded the mail discussion he had and it amazed me, even after my bad experience. I will ask him to place his story on this forum, very interesting.

So those that have hetzner or are going to use it please note!

They offer a remote console called LARA.

On the hetzner wiki it seems to be free at this page http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/LARA/en

And on another page it is only available as payed option
    http://wiki.hetzner.de/index.php/Ded..._Server_FAQ/en

When you request LARA make sure you mention that you want to make use of the free option and do not confirm any fee, this gives you the option to install using a remote ISO file, and in most cases this works perfectly. (you can install esx that way)

If you just ask for LARA they will always ask you to pay the fee, and if you do not specify a iso file they will mount one they see fit. For example if you mentioned you want to install esx, then they will insert a version they have and not ask you what version you need or ask for the iso.

You can create a hetzner compatible esxi 5.5 image for remote install using this guide:
    http://www.v-front.de/2013/09/how-to...rivers-to.html

So make sure you try the free option first! It will save you 25 euro's

Cheers!

LARA is free for 2 hours only. However you can order it for more than once for free.

LARA is free for 2 hours, more if there is no demand. I have ordered it dozens of times via their Robot interface without incurring any charges. Hetzner uses many different models of LARA and not all of them allow the user to mount an ISO on their own. The 25 Euro fee you mention is to load / connect your ISO file to LARA.

Just registered to reply to this, i ordered LARA for a remote esxi install and had to pay 25 euro but they did not burn or mount a iso file. They did put an old version of esxi in the drive, but i did not ask for that. At least they could have asked me for a image, or ask what version i needed. I installed using the virtual remote mount since the initial responce i got made it appear that i was free to try using the virtual mount method but it was not supported. Later they told me it was just informative and charged me for mounting an image.

Many mails later they told me that if you do not provide an image after confirming the fee they will guess what version you need and mount that..... so i paid for the crystal ball service...
    What would have happened if i told them i wanted to install 'windows'? NT 4 setup disk?

Hi guys, just to clarify, a LARA remote console in and of itself is always free for 2 hours. It has been this way since we first started offering remote consoles many years ago.

We offer a separate "feature" in which we attach a DVD to the LARA to allow a client to install a custom OS. This can be either from an ISO file they send us or a DVD we have on file (like ESXi, since that is requested a lot). This feature costs 25 Euros once.

A few months ago we completed an overall upgrade of our LARAs to give them all virtual media support. This means clients can now virtually mount their own ISO file without having to ask us to burn it onto a DVD. We have updated our main LARA page to include this information, but are still working on updating the other wiki pages that mention LARA installations (thanks for pointing that out @Benders).

The paid option is of course still available, and is the recommended one, as it is much faster and practically always works. The virtual option can be more problematic, depending on a few factors, but we obviously want to offer our clients a way to install, for free, a custom OS on their server.

@RustyServer, I'm sorry the option to virtually mount the ISO file wasn't made more clear to you. As mentioned above, we are working on updating our wiki so that all clients are aware of it. If you have any suggestions for us to improve the entire process I would be more than happy to hear from you. Feel free to PM me.

I suggest next time to ask the customer at least what version they need or ask to provide a file. (that is what you pay for right?)
    Not to just insert a some version without discussing it with the client. The two different pages caused the confusion and now support is telling me that it does not matter what is on the wiki page.

This is what i received "it is "only" a wiki-page, nothing official" But i did pay for the service that is described on that wiki, and that is mount a image that i want.

Support could have been more clear and mention that the free option was no longer possible.

Anyways, i canceled my server and for me no more hetzner.
    Please update the pages and be more clear to future customers.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyServer View Post
    Please update the pages and be more clear to future customers.
    You'll be happy to hear that we have done just that. Not only has the Dedicated Server FAQ page been updated but the VMware ESXi page has been updated as well. They now both point more prominently to the LARA page where the free option (and the paid option) are detailed.

Thanks again for pointing that out.

Still very unfair to charge RustyServer for a service that he didn't receive, very customer unfriendly. There was a obvious inconsistency on the LARA description plus the fact the fee was for burning/mounting a image of choice. Charging someone and not giving the service as described seems misleading, why loose a customer on something stupid like that?

Hetzner In, Support OUT

Quote Originally Posted by Benders View Post
    Charging someone and not giving the service as described seems misleading, why loose a customer on something stupid like that?
    I agree that.

I have bought a server from hetzner, and told them i will use it for esxi. They said one time 25€ fee for this, i accept that.

Then they said i should request LARA to install esxi.

After activating 2 hour LARA session, opened page which in incoming email, logged in and download the java applet.

When i mount iso and reboot, there is no image/cd detected. Just a frozen PXE boot screen. No keyboard, no mouse interaction, nothing.

I was tried many many time and restarted server again and again. Also tried network iso which in hetzner's mirrors server. No result.

When i tried to contact with support, they always said "give a 25EUR, then we will put a cd in your server". I said, i accepted a 25EUR for ESXi setup but didn't get any set or up

Finally, LARA session closed after two hours. I've opened several tickets about broken LARA and tried to told them i can not use it. But they just said "Please don't open duplicate tickets"

As a result, Hetzner is a good and strong company but with these support team, it seems they will not longer.

Quote Originally Posted by rbostan View Post
    I agree that.

I have bought a server from hetzner, and told them i will use it for esxi. They said one time 25€ fee for this, i accept that.

Then they said i should request LARA to install esxi.

After activating 2 hour LARA session, opened page which in incoming email, logged in and download the java applet.

When i mount iso and reboot, there is no image/cd detected. Just a frozen PXE boot screen. No keyboard, no mouse interaction, nothing.

I was tried many many time and restarted server again and again. Also tried network iso which in hetzner's mirrors server. No result.

When i tried to contact with support, they always said "give a 25EUR, then we will put a cd in your server". I said, i accepted a 25EUR for ESXi setup but didn't get any set or up

Finally, LARA session closed after two hours. I've opened several tickets about broken LARA and tried to told them i can not use it. But they just said "Please don't open duplicate tickets"

As a result, Hetzner is a good and strong company but with these support team, it seems they will not longer.
    The LARA at Hetzner at times does play up and the system reboots (Robot) seems to take longer at times. I just put it down to the sheer volume of servers they have on the network. I've also noticed that some guys there are more accommodating than others for instance one time we needed to reboot a server using robot it was a no go we opened a ticket and within minutes this guy was rebooting it for us manually than other times we're told "Heres LARA access please remember we're unmanaged" which doesn't really answer the reboot request when there own system doesn't work as of recent we haven't had any issue with them at all.

We are presently using some servers on Hetzner, approx. one and half years already. We had only 2 times network issue with server due to connectivity lose. We asked Hetzner to connect LARA, first time it was free of charge for duration of 15 minutes. The last time they said we have 2 hours free of charge.

Quote Originally Posted by rbostan View Post

Hello rbostan, I'm sorry you're having trouble installing ESXi via the LARA remote console. If you want you can post the ticket number of the LARA request, then I can check that out and see if I can help. Alternatively, you can PM me the IP of your server.

@Hetzner_Rep

I have a similar experience with your support at the moment.

Can I contact you by email in order to explain the situation please ?

Thanks a lot,

Quote Originally Posted by Rens04 View Post
    @Hetzner_Rep

I have a similar experience with your support at the moment.

Can I contact you by email in order to explain the situation please ?

Thanks a lot,
    Hello Rens04, if you've already got a ticket open with our support then you can post the ticket number here and I'll look into it.

You can of course also PM me to explain the situation, in case it is more complicated.

Im sorry but this lara thing is a joke! i went ahead and bought a dedicated server and requested lara, so i went ahead and installed windows server 2008, well to say its slow is the understatement of the year it took 20 minutes to go from 0% to 1% now Hetzner say we can only have lara for a maximum 2 hours and then they charge us, now i work in the pc industry as a pc technician so i know how fast a pc takes to install a operating system and it doesnt take that long especially with a server that has 2tb hard drive 32gb ram etc so somehow im sure they are slowing down the installation so lara can be turned off and we then need to pay to keep it going, im sorry but this is just an extra money making scheme,

Hi ,

Are you using virtual media through Lara? If so, that is perfectly normal for it to take hours to install.

Danny
    █SSDapp - Low Cost VPS, Plex and Dedicated Servers
    █ Windows and Linux VPS / Dedicated Servers in USA and France.
    █ 99.99% Uptime, Money Back Guarantee, Instant Setup. Phone support

there not any other way you can install a operating system on there other than virtual media, Ive worked it out and If they charge 10 euros per every 2 hours and its taking 20 minutes to install 1% that means i need around 33 Hours to install 1 windows server 2008 operating system which which is around 160 euros extra sorry but no chance am i paying that.

Quote Originally Posted by rob991 View Post
    Im sorry but this lara thing is a joke! i went ahead and bought a dedicated server and requested lara, so i went ahead and installed windows server 2008, well to say its slow is the understatement of the year it took 20 minutes to go from 0% to 1% now Hetzner say we can only have lara for a maximum 2 hours and then they charge us, now i work in the pc industry as a pc technician so i know how fast a pc takes to install a operating system and it doesnt take that long especially with a server that has 2tb hard drive 32gb ram etc so somehow im sure they are slowing down the installation so lara can be turned off and we then need to pay to keep it going, im sorry but this is just an extra money making scheme,
    They can create for you a desired ISO on a bootable USB stick for 25E (They will remove the USB after 48 hours) or you can order the one time 16GB USB stick and ask them to put your ISO on it (This USB will be on the server all the time)

Quote Originally Posted by bissa View Post
    They can create for you a desired ISO on a bootable USB stick for 25E (They will remove the USB after 48 hours) or you can order the one time 16GB USB stick and ask them to put your ISO on it (This USB will be on the server all the time)

Thanks for the reply, I've just had an email from them now I've asked for them to install 1 driver for me as I cannot do it from my end its impossible so they charged me 25 euros for 1 driver now under there terms and conditions the actual 25 euros is for the full operating system to be installed so since I did all the work for them the only thing I asked is if they could also setup the remote desktop otherwise I would have to pay another 10 euros on top for the use of Lara again, now again I did most of the work for them so you would think they'd do that 1 extra thing for me but guess what, no chance they refused to do it. Disgusting service

Quote Originally Posted by rob991 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I've just had an email from them now I've asked for them to install 1 driver for me as I cannot do it from my end its impossible so they charged me 25 euros for 1 driver now under there terms and conditions the actual 25 euros is for the full operating system to be installed so since I did all the work for them the only thing I asked is if they could also setup the remote desktop otherwise I would have to pay another 10 euros on top for the use of Lara again, now again I did most of the work for them so you would think they'd do that 1 extra thing for me but guess what, no chance they refused to do it. Disgusting service
    Their support are close to robots, you ask A, they answer B.
    They aren't flexible to give you help (even the simplest), everything they do most be on the paper which they read from it. They will offer everything you need but you have to pay for it.
    Well, you can setup anyway the remote desktop by your self, the only problem will be the Ethernet driver, once installed you are done, also you will find the IP, gateway, subnet and all this info in your account. To install ethernet driver, mount any virtual drive using Lara (your own computer disk for example) and copy from it the ethernet driver.