* First VPS server...could use advice

Hello everyone,
    I've been running game servers on my home network for a while now, but have decided to migrate out.

The game binaries are very slim, running on my Debian system they only use up a few MBs of ram and minimal CPU resources.

As such I was thinking of going with a VPS server, as I have no need for true dedicated hardware, and bandwidth usage will be modest(2-3TB monthly).

I'd like to start with something cheap and simple, and have settled on these 4 providers:
    VPSCheap.net
    AzzaVPS.com
    cinfu.com
    rethinkvps.com

I'm leaning towards VPSCheap because their promo rate is so low I won't be losing anything after a 1/2 month cancellation. But again I have no experience with servers and don't know what to look for.

If anyone could offer advice or point me in the right direction, it'd be greatly appreciated.

For the sake of not opening another newbie thread, can someone also explain what all the different types of control panels are about? I was hoping to simply control the server via remote-desktop(VNC). Is this feasible?

Thanks again.

First thing I would recommend is reading the Terms Of Service and AUP of the providers very carefully.

Some game server setups can be very resource intensive and can cause problems to other VPS containers on the Node. If you are not careful you could find your VPS suspended for resource abuse.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Kam View Post
    First thing I would recommend is reading the Terms Of Service and AUP of the providers very carefully.

Some game server setups can be very resource intensive and can cause problems to other VPS containers on the Node. If you are not careful you could find your VPS suspended for resource abuse.
    Fair enough, but I'm serious when I say resource usage is minimal. The game binaries have less ram/cpu usage than a text editor.

Still, alway ask the host BEFORE you buy service, so you know if they allow gaming on their servers. If not, I'm sure you soon will be back here on the forum complaining that you lost money when the host closed your account, and did not give you a refund.

And 2-3TB bandwidth per month is not modest, most (good) host offer 1-3TB/mo at the most.
    My Top 20 benchmark list (and review site)
    Powered by: Kimsufi, backed up by: Hetzner, DigitalOcean and Vultr.com
    Also using
    SolaDrive.com (45+ months), KnownHost.com (45+ months)

Quote Originally Posted by naizarak View Post
    For the sake of not opening another newbie thread, can someone also explain what all the different types of control panels are about? I was hoping to simply control the server via remote-desktop(VNC). Is this feasible?
    Linux servers are usually administered by terminal (SSH) primarily, although some use a web-based control panel for "point-and-click" admin jobs. If you want to run a full desktop you'll need to install one and even for the relatively lightweight ones (xfce / lxde) you'll probably want at least 512MB specifically for that.

Quote Originally Posted by myhken View Post
    And 2-3TB bandwidth per month is not modest, most (good) host offer 1-3TB/mo at the most.
    Yep. Did you mean 2-3GB? I can't imagine a game pushing several TB of data having less memory usage than a text editor.
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter

I decided to try out cinfu.com. Signed up for an "unmetered" account on a 512mb machine. I'm planning on using lxde and VNC for management.

From what you guys said, I'm expecting them to throttle my bandwidth, but even 10mpbs should suffice. If worse comes to worst I'll just cancel after a month(only $3 down the drain).

I'll post updates as time goes by.

Thanks for the help.

1 TB per month is typical for a low end VPS with the low RAM and disk allocations that you described in your initial post. Anything above that (2 or 3 TB) is unusual for a typical low end package, but they can be found. You can also ask the provider for a quote to increase bandwidth but leave the other specs low.

When you say "Control Panel", you may be referring to several different things. They are independent of each other:

* Control Panel to Manage your VPS, External:
    Your provider will give you access to a web-based control panel that gives you external control of basic functions on your VPS. Connect to it from your browser to boot, reboot, or shutdown the VPS. It will also show you how much bandwidth you have used for the month, and possibly RAM and disk space utilization. Depending on the type of VPS you have, the control panel may include tools to install an operating system, change the root password, gain special SSH or VNC remote access to your VPS if the firewall cuts you off, etc. The most popular control panel of this type is called "SolusVM", but some VPS providers offer other control panels or their own custom-written control panel.

* (Optional) Control Panel for Linux Administration, Runs on the VPS, Internal:
    This type of control panel runs on the VPS itself. It lets you manage typical Linux configuration and service settings, such as the firewall, the services that your VPS offers, etc. The most popular commercial control panel of this type is cPanel (which adds ~$10-15 per month to your VPS bill). Free control panels are also available for you to install yourself, such as Webmin and Virtualmin, Kloxo, ZPanel, and others. They have drawbacks - compatibility with your favorite Linux distro; complex/challenging user interfaces; bugs; and/or security issues. Be sure to do some web research on the one that interests you before attempting to install it.

* Something else:
    There may be a "control panel" for some specialized software or service that you install and run on your VPS. This is not what people on WHT mean when they write "control panel".

You also mentioned VNC access. Most people do not install a desktop environment on their VPS because it uses a lot of RAM, and VNC performance is usually poor. Instead, they connect to their VPSs using SSH and type terminal commands, or they install a control panel for Linux administration (see above), which has a web interface.

You may need VNC for installing your OS in a KVM or Xen/HVM VPS, but only for interacting with the OS installer. Once your OS is installed, you are unlikely to need it again. If your VPS is OpenVZ or Xen/PV, then you won't need VNC.

I hope this helps. Good luck with your new VPS!

Quote Originally Posted by vps_newbie View Post
    1 TB per month is typical for a low end VPS with the low RAM and disk allocations that you described in your initial post.
    1TB as a nominal allowance may be typical. Being able to push 1TB within the limitations of a tiny VPS is a different matter altogether. That will depend on the VPS itself, the configuration and the application (eg. 1TB of file downloads vs. 1TB of text-based forum traffic - the resource requirements will be quite different).

Exactly where the OP's game fits into that range IDK, but I'd be very surprised to find a $3 VPS capable of running a desktop properly, let alone pushing 1TB of game traffic as well. Waiting with interest for the promised updates!
    Chris

"Some problems are so complex that you have to be highly intelligent and well informed just to be undecided about them." - Laurence J. Peter