How bad does it look to be using a competing host for DNS clustering?

Hello!

I'm contemplating renting several virtual servers from "competing" hosts for the sole purpose of DNS clustering for my cPanel servers. So far, I've had very little downtime - but of course, crap happens so I need a failover solution - particularly to keep e-mails coming to our google apps service.

I want to have a solid backup for when things really go south on our end - but I don't want potential customers to be steered away by the fact that I have some of our DNS scattered across other companies. How bad does this look? Whats the best way to whitelabel/hide it?

Thanks!

Easy solution is to use dns service like - rage4.
    Second option - use vps from hosts that both own their AS (ideally datacentre)

Quote Originally Posted by _ed_ View Post
    Easy solution is to use dns service like - rage4.
    Second option - use vps from hosts that both own their AS (ideally datacentre)
    Sorry accidentally submitted.
    ...so own datacentre and offers colocation. It will cost more but give away better impression as go and figure out if you are colocating with them or just renting 256 mb vps.

I wouldn't say it looks bad at all - if someone actually goes that far to research who owns the IP of the DNS server, then chances are they will also realise you have some network diversity, and that it's a good thing.

I'd say it looks a lot more professional (no sarcasm here) rather than piling up the dns server in one place, and I don't think there is a way to whitelabel it, well you can SWIP the IP and everything but it won't prevent people from knowing where and who you are hosted with.

_ed_'s tips on dealing directly with DC also works
    -

I don't think it will mater much. Since you could be collocating and the domain is yours. Customers really are not going to do much research on a DNS servers ip address.

It is smart having DNS servers located in remote locations it shows you care about the customers up time.

And you can use cPanels DNS only control panel since it is free to use.
    | Buzy Bee Hosting, LLCsales@bzybhosting.com★Dedicated★KVM VPS★
    | Self/Fully Managed★ Shared Hosting★cPanel®★ 99.9% uptime★
    | Softaculous★ CMS hosting★ SSL Certs★ Idera CDP Backup, FTP Backup

Quote Originally Posted by ilikewesties View Post
    Hello!

I'm contemplating renting several virtual servers from "competing" hosts for the sole purpose of DNS clustering for my cPanel servers. So far, I've had very little downtime - but of course, crap happens so I need a failover solution - particularly to keep e-mails coming to our google apps service.

I want to have a solid backup for when things really go south on our end - but I don't want potential customers to be steered away by the fact that I have some of our DNS scattered across other companies. How bad does this look? Whats the best way to whitelabel/hide it?

Thanks!
    One easy option is to get an unmanaged VPS and install cPanel DNS-Only in that VPS. Most VPS providers have an option to let you set the reverse DNS entry for your VPS's IP address. This is usually done through SolusVM or similar VPS panel software. You could have that VPS's IP reverse to ns2.yourdomain.com have have ns2.yourdomain.com resolve to the VPS's IP. In a WHOIS search, your domain name would be listed (ns2.yourdomain.com in this example). For most people, that is going to be plenty of white labeling. If somebody digs around to find out which company owns which network, then you can explain why you are doing that at that point. After all, using diverse networks to cluster your DNS is not something anybody should ever hold against you.
    No Support Linux Hosting Bargain cPanel Hosting Experts Only
    We IGNORE the support questions, and pass the SAVINGS on to YOU!
    We also ignore questions about VPS Hosting

if you are DNS clustering and you main server goes down
    if you do not have a mirror server somewhere else the only thing that will work is your domains will resolve and your Google Apps will work.

If that is all your trying to achieve then yes it will work

Thanks for all the replies! I'm a bit more comfortable with going through with it for now - if someone is going to bust my balls over it, I guess I wouldn't want them as a customer anyway.

I was going to run cpanel DNS only on the VPS and I completely overlooked SWIP - don't know how since I've done it for all the servers I've sent out for colocation.

bust my balls over it
    things happen
    I completely overlooked SWIP
    Most VPS providers wont swip a single IP I know we will not. but you could sweet talk them into doing a Rwhois

Quote Originally Posted by ilikewesties View Post
    but I don't want potential customers to be steered away by the fact that I have some of our DNS scattered across other companies. How bad does this look?
    At first glance your concern seems a valid one and something to consider...

At second glance however you realize that unless the hosting service in question are themselves a tier 1 bandwidth provider that every hosting company on the planet is in turn someone else's customer. Having diversified DNS is a Good Thing, and anyone taking the time to research your company to that level is going to already know that.

tl;dr - don't worry about it.

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I know what my weekend plans are then!