Question High Quality Webhost?

I am looking for a high quality webhost that will offer reliability, great uptime, no problems or issues, good specs, not outrageous prices, and very good DDoS Protection.

-I have been with Hostgator. They're decent, but their DDoS Protection is horrible.
    -I am looking into Arvixe, as I was with them years ago and never had any issues. But I am unsure of what kind of DDoS protection they have. I am assuming theirs is good, as I think they host through Softlayer I think? But I thought Hostgator was as well?

Where would be my best place to look?
    (keep in mind, I am looking for a nice price too)

Thank you for the help!

Hello,

Thank you for considering Arvixe! For DDoS protection we use both a software and hardware solutions to mitigate any attempts of this nature.

Best regards,
    Quality Assurance | Arvixe, LLC.
    QA@Arvixe.com

Real DDOS protection comes at a price. If your own website(s) is prone to such attacks you won't last long with any shared hosting. Maybe you want to clarify what your issues you had exactly at HG?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren3gade View Post
    -I am looking into Arvixe, as I was with them years ago and never had any issues. But I am unsure of what kind of DDoS protection they have. I am assuming theirs is good, as I think they host through Softlayer I think? But I thought Hostgator was as well?
    Hostgator is now in Provo, UT alongside some of the other EIG brands (Bluehost, Justhost, etc.)

if your website targeting by ddos attack i would suggest you use company that focus on ddos protectected hosting like secureddragon and koddos

Well I am currently web hosted at nfoservers.
    Their main locations can handle up to 20gb/s, and they also have an automated firewall. I have seen their servers handle upwards of 50gb/s or so and around 60-80gb/s they null route. 15gb/s doesn't even affect their load times/servers or anything whatsoever. But I am just looking around at my choices to see if I have any better options because NFOservers web hosting is a screwy with cloud flare which is why I am looking around.

--------------------------------

My dedicated server costs me $240.00/month and is protected by 480gb/s of protection. I have had stress tests completed on the server and it would instantly mitigate very large attacks easily.

--------------------------------

I contacted Arvixe. They said that if my site is DDoS'd with anything at or over 1gb/s, then they will instantly null route my website, and it will be down for 6-12 hours. That will not work for me. When 12 year old kids can go on to hackforums and buy a booter/stresser for $5.00/month and ddos with 1gb/s of power easily.

Hmm...

You could also stick your site behind CloudFlare and use it as an intermediary between your web host and your visitors.

Any ddos provider needs to be able to support at _least_ 50Gbps of attack traffic. Large amplifications are so easy and so common these days. We see attacks like this quite often. 20Gbps just won't cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G View Post
    Any ddos provider needs to be able to support at _least_ 50Gbps of attack traffic. Large amplifications are so easy and so common these days. We see attacks like this quite often. 20Gbps just won't cut it.
    Exactly. Someone that understands.

Want to send attacks of 1-5gb/s? Pay $5.00 for a booter/stresser. And you can null route 90% of web hosts out there. Want to send a 50gb/s attack? Buy some $10.00 VPS's, install some APIs, use spoofed scripts with amplified lists. You will destroy 95% of web hosts out there.

I am shocked to hear that places like Arvixe, Hostgator, iPage, etc. can't even handle over a 1gb/s attack. Now a days, 1gb/s is nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Ren3gade View Post
    Exactly. Someone that understands.

Want to send attacks of 1-5gb/s? Pay $5.00 for a booter/stresser. And you can null route 90% of web hosts out there. Want to send a 50gb/s attack? Buy some $10.00 VPS's, install some APIs, use spoofed scripts with amplified lists. You will destroy 95% of web hosts out there.

I am shocked to hear that places like Arvixe, Hostgator, iPage, etc. can't even handle over a 1gb/s attack. Now a days, 1gb/s is nothing.
    I'm not sure where we mentioned we can't handle a network attack.

We use Softlayer's network like many other shared hosting providers.
    Either way, we are not interested in attracting the type of customer that would be prone to attack.
    Web Hosting @ Arvixe, LLC
    Product Portfolio: Linux Web Hosting | ASP .NET Web Hosting | Business Web Hosting | E-Commerce Web Hosting | Dedicated Servers
    Freedom of the web at your fingertips!
    adam [at] arvixe.com

Quote Originally Posted by adam-arvixe View Post
    I'm not sure where we mentioned we can't handle a network attack.

We use Softlayer's network like many other shared hosting providers.
    Either way, we are not interested in attracting the type of customer that would be prone to attack.
    I first spoke with someone in Live Chat on your site, which then opened me up a ticket to where I spoke with your Director of Server Operations. Whom said this:

"On our shared servers usually anything that jumps up to over a gigabit, will end up getting nulled. Though, if you are interested I am sure we can work on getting you behind some dedicated hardware that can mitigate more; however there will be cost involved of course.
    Depending on the size of the DDOS - our datacenter doesn't like to un-null IPs for at least (the VERY least) 6 hours. Generally they will keep an IP under lock-down for attacks that are in the gigabit in size for 12 hours.
    And the price is completely dependent on what you want to do; cost is going to be hardware + bandwidth for the most part."

-----------------------------------

And I am not one prone to DDoS attacks. My website hasn't been DDoS'd once since it's been up. (about 8 months now) It's just I am aware that DDoS attacks can happen, to anyone for a matter of fact; and for how easy it is for anyone to get their hands on something to DDoS with, it's kinda an important thing to think about. I personally don't want to be stressed out for a couple days straight because my website is being attacked, and I have 200 people messaging me wondering why they can't connect to our site.

DDOS Protection

In general, DOS protection can be handled by csf firewall at the server level. Many webhosts are running csf as a plugin to servers running WHM/cPanel. To increase DOS protection the webhost would need to configure csf firewall, specifically the CT_LIMIT and related settings. When this is done, the number of connections to ports 80 and 443 can be limited to a certain number within a specific time interval.

csf firewall protects against DOS using the following:

SYN Flood protection
    Port Flooding Detection - Per IP, per Port connection flooding detection and mitigation to help block DOS attacks

However, DDOS attacks involve the use of many distributed attacking ip addresses, and this makes it hard to distinguish good traffic from bad traffic, and because of this, csf firewall can't provide perfect protection against DDOS attacks.

To protect against a DDOS attack, your host can run the apache module called mod_qos.

If your webhost runs mod_qos, you are much better protected, then if they rely only on csf firewall protection.

mod_qos is open source software.

Hope this helps!

go with koddos for ddos protected hosting.

"We use Softlayer's network like many other shared hosting providers.
    Either way, we are not interested in attracting the type of customer that would be prone to attack."

I pull and block every Softlayer ASN/CIDR I can, JUST BECAUSE, Softlayer is never ending source of abuse/trouble.
    AND FRANKLY, THEIR ABUSE DEPT ISN'T REAL HELPFUL.... hence, I block them.