Percentage of Fraud Orders

Greetings -

I was wondering what is the percentage of fraud orders on a weekly basis that some hosts receive. Since we have started doing more agressive advertising of course our orders are up and just by average the amount of fraud orders we receive are up.

I am just curious as to the average that others receive.

Thanks
    John@Linearwebhosting.com

LinearWebHosting.com
    Fantastico de luxe | RV Site Builder | 24/7 Support | 99.9% Uptime Guarantee

It depends on the type of clientele you are advertising to. Low-end will have a lot more fraud.

But I'd say about 25%

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    It depends on the type of clientele you are advertising to. Low-end will have a lot more fraud.

But I'd say about 25%
    Thanks for the reply, that helps.

Some of the fraud from Google Ads and actually a couple of the orders had a referrer from WHT also which kind of surprised me.

LinearWebHosting.com

Quote Originally Posted by Linearwebhost View Post
    Thanks for the reply, that helps.

Some of the fraud from Google Ads and actually a couple of the orders had a referrer from WHT also which kind of surprised me.
    Most of our fraud (and abusive clients) come from WHT.

We have had 1-2 in the past but that was in the summer, we have been lucky and havent had many after talking to a few web host owners last week they seem to have 3-5 a week but it depends on the offers you choose, from what i can make out its always alot of the cheaper offers they go for.A

lways be on the look out for them and always be aware as there is so many out there.

25% is a normal amount for aggressive advertising. I personally use a lot of metrics and programming to help reduce fraud because once you've processed a fraud order through credit card you are potentially endangering your merchant account. If you can come up with a way to determine fraud score before the payment is process and then put those "on hold". They would not hit your merchant account until you processed them.
    Mariehosting - Wordpress hosting Experts web hosting Get a website you will love. Affordable Wordpress web design

Quote Originally Posted by solarblunet View Post
    25% is a normal amount for aggressive advertising. I personally use a lot of metrics and programming to help reduce fraud because once you've processed a fraud order through credit card you are potentially endangering your merchant account. If you can come up with a way to determine fraud score before the payment is process and then put those "on hold". They would not hit your merchant account until you processed them.
    We started using MaxMind wich seems to be catching "most" it does not catch all of them though, one got through today but we caught it right away.

Thanks for the feedback very helpful.

LinearWebHosting.com

Okay, I would rather say that its about %25 on weekly basis, but tools like MaxMind and others are worthing every cent. Good Luck!
    WadiPurple.com - Managed Cloud Hosting with cPanel & 24/7 Support
    █ Web Hosting | Cloud Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Email Hosting | Domains

Well we aren't a hosting company but we receive about 2% worth of fraudulent orders.

We see about 25% as well. If you have maxmind, invest a bit and get some telephone verification credits, those work very well at catching fraud orders. IF they say "Oh I can't bother to pick up the phone and enter the code right now" then its probably fraud, and if its not you probably don't want to do business with them anywho.
    -Ryan K
    Quality Minecraft hosting at a price you can afford!
    Managed Dedicated and VPS hosting.
    evlbox.com

For me 100%

I would say we see around 25% of the orders fraud. Using manual phone verification, maxmind and fraudrecord help identify which orders are fraud.
    ¦ Ernie - ColoCrossing by HostPapa | Enterprise Colocation and Baremetal Services
    ¦ Colocation | Dedicated Servers | Private Cloud | Managed Services | IP Transit
    ¦ Buffalo, NY | Los Angeles | Atlanta | Chicago | Dallas | Atlanta | San Jose | Seattle
    ¦ Equick @ colocrossing.com

Quote Originally Posted by reldegart View Post
    For me 100%
    100% fraud? Make sure that you're not promoting your business in places where fraudsters hang out.

Thank you all for the great replies, very insightful...

LinearWebHosting.com