Police cars advertising twitter and facebook

I don't know if this is the norm anywhere else, but it's kinda cool.

This is in Ontario Canada. I have my office in St. Thomas. I live about 45 minutes away. Most of the Province is Ontario Provincial Police + RCMP a bit. Some cities have their own city police. St Thomas uses St Thomas police. The only police force I have ever seen to put a website URL, facebook and twitter links on all of their cruisers.

Pretty good way to get out notices, suspicious activities to watch for, ect.

Do they do this where you're form?
    Last edited by @Jesse; 02-04-2014 at 11:03 AM. Reason: fix title
    █ █ █

I Live in the united kingdom in Nottingham, I have never seen any of our officer's and police do this surprised they do in the USA could cause alot of trouble tho.

I haven't see Social Media advertised on the cars here in Houston, but I do regularly hear their various twitter feeds mentioned in the news and in public service announcements.

Houston Police Dept occasionally posts some interesting stories and historical facts on their Facebook page

I don't think it should be on public vehicles that's tax payers money paying for these so why should companies like FB and TWTR receive free advertising?

Quote Originally Posted by NetDepot - Terrence View Post
    I don't think it should be on public vehicles that's tax payers money paying for these so why should companies like FB and TWTR receive free advertising?
    They're a way to reach the public. Everyone already knows about the main fb and twitter websites anyway. The main branches all use fb and twitter from what I've seen. This time of the year the CRA fb takes off.
    █ █ █

Do Facebook and Twitter get a benefit out of it? Sure. But i think in this day and age of social media, and mobile browsing it's beneficial to publicize those information feeds.

If there is an issue that the public needs to be aware of, and there is a medium to broadcast that information to a wider audience I think it makes sense to advertise it.

Quote Originally Posted by rits View Post
    They're a way to reach the public. Everyone already knows about the main fb and twitter websites anyway. The main branches all use fb and twitter from what I've seen. This time of the year the CRA fb takes off.
    Its still free advertising for both companies with tax payers funds.

Its still free advertising for both companies with tax payers funds.
    That's fine. The job of the government is to reach the people. If they made a clone nobody would use it. They have to do what they have to do. Social media is the way to do that today. They also do youtube.
    █ █ █

Our locals put their own URL on it, but not FB or Twitter. They also don't allow ads and such on their sites, as it would be improper. I'd say the same for social media "ads" on cars. Link to your site, and if you really want people using those social sites, link from your PD site to them.
    Having problems, or maybe questions about WHT? Head over to the help desk!

Totally agree plus its wasting there time and also our time while there writing facebook status and twitter status they could be helping someeone.

Quote Originally Posted by abbottsolutions View Post
    Totally agree plus its wasting there time and also our time while there writing facebook status and twitter status they could be helping someeone.
    You are aware it wouldn't be a police officer making the post of a missing child, safety for walking home for schools, ect? It'd be an office worker that is not walk the streets saving people? lol
    █ █ █

Quote Originally Posted by rits View Post
    You are aware it wouldn't be a police officer making the post of a missing child, safety for walking home for schools, ect? It'd be an office worker that is not walk the streets saving people? lol
    Yeah i am aware but the first post seemed like it was the officer's posting while there out on the job with some donuts haha.