namecheap often giving 'server misconfiguration error'

I use MyBB. It used to be once in a great while, but last week has started doing it a lot. My traffic hasn't increased last week.

It can happen any time or page. Reads something to the extent of 'has suffered a server misconfiguration error, please contact webmaster blah blah'. Usually hitting back button and doing the action again and it's okay.

I talked with customer service, they said it's because my resources too high. But it's not 508. It's 500 I believe.

Could this be as they say? Or something else. It's just strange it started all of a sudden doing it a lot this week.

I'm about fed up with it and thinking about moving on to another hosting service.

Anyone have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by damian5000 View Post
    I use MyBB. It used to be once in a great while, but last week has started doing it a lot. My traffic hasn't increased last week.

It can happen any time or page. Reads something to the extent of 'has suffered a server misconfiguration error, please contact webmaster blah blah'. Usually hitting back button and doing the action again and it's okay.

I talked with customer service, they said it's because my resources too high. But it's not 508. It's 500 I believe.

Could this be as they say? Or something else. It's just strange it started all of a sudden doing it a lot this week.

I'm about fed up with it and thinking about moving on to another hosting service.

Anyone have any ideas?
    This can still indicate a server resource problem. What resource usage do your cPanel stats show? Have you had a large traffic spike or changed any forum configurations?

Like the vast majority of service providers, we do have resource limits to ensure server performance always remains optimal. However, our limits are very generous and you can review them at https://www.namecheap.com/legal/hosting/aup.aspx

If your site really is consuming that amount of resources (which is a lot for a shared environment), you will face the same problem in any shared hosting environment.

Matt
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.namecheap.com - hosting from a registrar DONE RIGHT!

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    This can still indicate a server resource problem. What resource usage do your cPanel stats show? Have you had a large traffic spike or changed any forum configurations?

Like the vast majority of service providers, we do have resource limits to ensure server performance always remains optimal. However, our limits are very generous and you can review them at https://www.namecheap.com/legal/hosting/aup.aspx

If your site really is consuming that amount of resources (which is a lot for a shared environment), you will face the same problem in any shared hosting environment.

Matt
    I don't mind upgrading to cover my usage. I just need to find out what the real source of these issues are. As I said, the traffic hasn't increased at all, yet the last couple days the error has happened about 10-15 times for me. So that's hundreds of times for my users.

During the time of the last error, there were no spikes. At least none that are shown. The last error was at 5:12, but you see there are no spikes during that period.

So, if it were a spike, it could cause the error "Internal Server Error, the server encountered an internal server error or misconfiguration... blah blah"? Yes or no, and if yes, why did I get the error during a period when there were no spikes?

Thanks Matt for your time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stats.jpg  

Your screenshot is showing large numbers of faults against the "virtual memory" limit, and a few against the "entry process" limit. As Matt says, the limits you've got there are generous (4 GB of virtual memory), so something is using a lot of resources. Have a look at your raw access logs from within cPanel, for the period showing the most errors, and see what pages were being requested, and whether those were bots or real visitors.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

Quote Originally Posted by OakHosting_James View Post
    Your screenshot is showing large numbers of faults against the "virtual memory" limit, and a few against the "entry process" limit. As Matt says, the limits you've got there are generous (4 GB of virtual memory), so something is using a lot of resources. Have a look at your raw access logs from within cPanel, for the period showing the most errors, and see what pages were being requested, and whether those were bots or real visitors.
    I will do that. It makes sense, But my main issue here is to figure out why the server misconfiguration error happened several times during a period when there were no spikes.

Agreed. (Just to check the obvious - you're working off the same timezone as the server?)

If you ask Namecheap's support, and give them the time as exactly as you can, and (if possible) the URL that failed, they should be able to look up the error logs that you can't see to discover what the problem was. I say "should", because some page requests fail because of resource limits without getting far enough to be logged.
    James

Interested in which hosts I'd recommend? Unmanaged VPS Reviews | Managed VPS Reviews

I do, but the tech support is basically useless. I'll tell them the exact time of the error, wait for about an hour on chat, and they'll come back and say, 'check it now, it should be working...'

Yes... I knowwww that. I told them that in the beginning of the chat that it was fine now, that I'm just trying to find the source of the issue.

I'm sure @mdrussell would be concerned to hear that. Tickets work much better than chat for these things - you can explain that it is working now, but you want them to find out the problem at a very particular point in the past. These things can be frustrating, I know
    James

I do, but the tech support is basically useless. I'll tell them the exact time of the error, wait for about an hour on chat, and they'll come back and say, 'check it now, it should be working...'

Yes... I knowwww that. I told them that in the beginning of the chat that it was fine now, that I'm just trying to find the source of the issue.
    Live Chat is designed for Level 1 / 2 issues. I'd recommend you ask to escalate the chat to Level 2, who should be able to assist on this. Failing that, we'll happily open up a ticket so a system admin can take a look at it.

If there's any specific feedback you want to give me on certain team members, please reach out to matt[at]namecheap.com so I can review.

Matt

Yes. That's what I've done. I wish they'd recommended it from the start instead of talking in circles. But now I know.

Generally Namecheap chat support has been excellent with the basic issues. Also with getting some mod security rules whitelisted that were causing errors. But with this, it's just going in circles. Well I've submitted a ticket, we'll see what's up.

Yes. That's what I've done. I wish they'd recommended it from the start instead of talking in circles. But now I know.

Generally Namecheap chat support has been excellent with the basic issues. Also with getting some mod security rules whitelisted that were causing errors. But with this, it's just going in circles. Well I've submitted a ticket, we'll see what's up.
    Please do send me feedback including any chat ID/logs. We strive to deliver the best support each and every time. If we've fallen short here, I'd like to look into who was involved so we can look into making amends.

Thanks
    Matt

MyBB isn't the best forum when it comes to resources.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||