Question Why so few VPS reseller hosts?

I see Jolly Works has a straight-up VPS reseller host - you buy a block of resources and carve it up as a reseller. You operate Solus for your clients, they sign up through your WHMCS, etc - true white label.

Some companies provide a reseller discount, though it's typically just a discount on the 2nd, 3rd, etc. VPS you buy. KnownHost does this.

Some companies have a "enter a reseller code when you buy for your customer" sort of thing...Burst.net does this.

From what I've found, only Jolly Works has a true white label.

I'm wondering why this is such a rare offering and why this isn't more popular...? Or are there others that offer this that I haven't found yet?
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor

Ive looked into this myself and there is acutally a UK host who does the same as jolly hosting sites too, but i have deleted the bookmark along time ago.

I guess sometimes, its just easier for the person buying just to resell already done VPS.

Whatever package you make in jollyworks or in another vps node slice, theres tons of providers with the same package, probably better specs and bigger hdd for the same price you pay for the slice...

As if there weren't enough things to oversell....

Smaller sized providers such as me? From my perspective, I simply can't afford to lose even the tiniest bit of control over the hardware. I could rent out a chunk of resources, but at the expense of that provider potentially overselling, or not doing proper fraud verification, more chance of attacks, abuse of my I.P. space, getting my ranges RBL'd, or worse, the provider could have not a single clue about what really goes on behind the scenes and how much work is truly required. The risk outweighs the benefit in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by jetfirenetworks View Post
    I could rent out a chunk of resources, but at the expense of that provider potentially overselling, or not doing proper fraud verification, more chance of attacks, abuse of my I.P. space, getting my ranges RBL'd, or worse, the provider could have not a single clue about what really goes on behind the scenes and how much work is truly required.
    Interesting...though isn't the same true of shared hosting reselling? There's nothing preventing a shared reseller from selling a plan to someone who puts a monstrous forum on shared hosting, attracts a DDOS, etc.

I hear what you're saying, I'm just wondering if that is a unique risk to VPS reselling. I realize shared reseller hosts can stop some of that at the server level (not allowing IRC daemons, for example, or putting resource limits in) but not entirely.
    raindog308
    LowEndTalk administrator, LowEndBox editor

We also offer this service and label it a "Virtual Data Center" Unfortunately, it has not been that popular as we thought..

Initially thought people would love this, as it saves them money on solusVM licenses and other overhead costs.

I never, ever want a reseller for VPS, dedicated, cloud, etc. Too important.
    Shared hosting? Sure.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

There big issue for reseller VPS providers , their resellers taking many abusive clients to the server. CPU abusing, mass email sending , phishing sites, using for ddos attacks etc.Something more than having cpanel reseller acc.
    LankaPartnerHost.Com
    Canada Anti DDOS Webhosting, Reseller Hosting, WHMsonic, WHMsonic Resellers

To add to that. Most places should and we do, restrict how many emails can be sent per hour per VM. This will stop/slow down spammers.

There are restrictions for sending emails.

It probably comes down to lack of demand. In most instances, the buyer would get better pricing with a reseller discount applied to a standardized package. There are some VPS providers that keep everything white label, and a few who will even provide reseller access to SolusVM (just to manage owned VMs).
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    It probably comes down to lack of demand. In most instances, the buyer would get better pricing with a reseller discount applied to a standardized package. There are some VPS providers that keep everything white label, and a few who will even provide reseller access to SolusVM (just to manage owned VMs).
    Ive yet to come a host who allows access to solusvm, and like a few others have also stated too, the email restrictions on these vps node slices are strict from my experience.

Plus, would you vps node owners allow someone who dont know to run vps on them, could be a danger with hacking/phising sites especially if the person running the VPS isnt very knowledgeable with them and the running of them!

I very briefly touched on this regarding Solusvm earlier today: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpo...04&postcount=7
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

we tried this years ago with openvz nodes and tried to push several panel providers to allow a reseller format / login. However we found that no panel provider could come up with anything satisfactory and that actually worked. Also we had issues with node performance - resellers creating and destroying vm's at their whim, overselling and a lot more problems. Part of the issue was with openvz, but overall it became a bit of a nightmare product to sell.

Guess it's most likely down to SolusVM/WHMCS not supporting it very well.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

It's not that there are so few of them. There are a lot that I know of, but many will not openly advertise this. Basically, do your research, try to find a couple of providers that you like, and contact their sales departments. Many of them have excellent reseller discounts.

It is even more of a niche market than reseller-specialized hosting accounts. Since it's a smaller market, a lot less companies will be advertising this. If you contacted a few companies and just asked their sales departments, many of them would be able to set this up for you.

VPS reseller hosts

hello,I have a small client base, around 10 websites on shared host which have very low traffic. But I am currently working on two websites, one with +20K traffic per day that my current reseller plan can't handle and one with Node.js, soon to be launched.

I am searching for an efficient solution to manage all these cases.
    1) switch all the site to new plan
    2) handle the high traffic website
    3) host node.js app
    4) resell some space to few other clients

thanks,

Reseller VPS

It is mostly due to limited resource.Ther are very less company who provide VPS reselling.