How much does your dedi host charge for announce /22?

Our host wants $130/month just to announce /22 . Is this reasonable?

Our standard is $50 to announce any number of IP's on your behalf. Sounds a little pricey especially if its just that one /22.

Who is your provider?

I find it absolutely unreasonable to charge a monthly fee for announcement of IPs. Possibly a one-time setup fee would be okey. There are providers out there that do it for free as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RBurns View Post
    Our standard is $50 to announce any number of IP's on your behalf. Sounds a little pricey especially if its just that one /22.
    Thanks Rburns. Is your $50 a monthly charge? Do you charge any initial setup fee? Our host asks $75 initial setup fee + $35/mo for /24.

Seems very steep...

Quote Originally Posted by felixdennis View Post
    Thanks Rburns. Is your $50 a monthly charge? Do you charge any initial setup fee? Our host asks $75 initial setup fee + $35/mo for /24.

Seems very steep...
    Yikes! That seems very steep to me. I don't think we've ever charged for announcing any number of IPs. We sometimes charge a setup fee, depending on how large the announce is.

Seems very steep...
    Its just a fixed fee to open a route, there is no additional per additional sub nets. The $50 is a monthly charge, but that is the cost WE pay. Unless there is some strange network configuration, we do announcements for completely free for our customers.

Anyone we've dealt with has done this for free and encourages it. It just opens up their IP's to be used by other customers so it's a win-win.

Our host wants $130/month just to announce /22 . Is this reasonable?
    Are you running your own switch that they are routing the prefix to?

Seems a bit high, but what all are they offering for the $?

This should really just be a one-time setup charge. There is some administrative work necessary to get prefix lists and/or IRR's updated, and then the actual network configuration. It's pretty simple work for any network engineer to do, and should only take a few minutes. A few hundred dollars wouldn't be unreasonable for that work. If you need a custom BGP policy for inbound routing (i.e. possibly avoiding announcing to certain transit providers, or have them be lower preference or backup only), that would require some more work but still isn't too tough to do. Custom outbound routing policy however is a whole other can of worms, and something that very few providers would be able to offer, as it would take up a substantial amount of router memory.

Some hosting providers may not have experienced network engineers on staff though, even if they have their own network and AS number. In which case, they need to rely on outside consultants or other sources with help on the configuration. In which case, the charges might be higher as they have to go through the trouble of co-ordinating with the consultant with minimums on billable time, so could be more expensive.

Other hosting providers, that don't have their own network at all, would be subject to charges by their transit providers or the company which they resell for. It would then depend on what that company charges.

There aren't any actual on-going operating costs to announcing IP's.

We've mostly had ours announced for free. Coloat charged $250 which was a bit steep IMO, but at least no monthly fee.

Two weeks ago, I looked around for the same in Europe (in my case /24, but it should not change any) and I got quoted from Free up to EUR 250 monthly, setup from Free to EUR 450.

What many people don't understand is that it isn't always as simple as just adding a few lines of code and updating your route objects to reflect the announcement. Some transit providers have route filters that have to be manually updated and the process of getting that done can involve a bit of work and follow up. I definitely understand why many providers charge a setup fee.

Quote Originally Posted by qps View Post
    What many people don't understand is that it isn't always as simple as just adding a few lines of code and updating your route objects to reflect the announcement. Some transit providers have route filters that have to be manually updated and the process of getting that done can involve a bit of work and follow up. I definitely understand why many providers charge a setup fee.
    I don't have a problem with a setup fee, I think $150 one time is OK and up to $20 monthly but a few provider ask for $100+ monhtly which is not OK.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyB View Post
    Anyone we've dealt with has done this for free and encourages it. It just opens up their IP's to be used by other customers so it's a win-win.
    It's not really a win-win for the provider, unless they feel your usage is sketchy and they don't want your usage on their IPs. For a provider, if they're using 80% or more of their IPs, they can get more. Freeing up their IPs doesn't help them at all, in fact, the opposite. Once IP exhaustion happens, whatever IPs you've got are very valuable. If customers use up your IPs, you can get more, leaving you with more IPs once exhaustion hits. At that point the IPs are yours, not your customers, so if they ever cancel you can use those IPs for someone else. So for a provider in a region that is still allocating IPs, there's no upside to having a customer use their own IPs rather than yours. As well, if a customer is using a provider's IPs, that provider has at least a little bit of lock-in, because the client can't leave without updating their IPs. For a provider this is a positive thing as it helps retention.

Now, plenty of providers will still announce IPs, but to claim its in the best interest of the provider is inaccurate.

Quote Originally Posted by funkywizard View Post
    It's not really a win-win for the provider, unless they feel your usage is sketchy and they don't want your usage on their IPs. For a provider, if they're using 80% or more of their IPs, they can get more. Freeing up their IPs doesn't help them at all, in fact, the opposite. Once IP exhaustion happens, whatever IPs you've got are very valuable. If customers use up your IPs, you can get more, leaving you with more IPs once exhaustion hits. At that point the IPs are yours, not your customers, so if they ever cancel you can use those IPs for someone else. So for a provider in a region that is still allocating IPs, there's no upside to having a customer use their own IPs rather than yours. As well, if a customer is using a provider's IPs, that provider has at least a little bit of lock-in, because the client can't leave without updating their IPs. For a provider this is a positive thing as it helps retention.

Now, plenty of providers will still announce IPs, but to claim its in the best interest of the provider is inaccurate.
    I think it's too late for providers to get more, I'm guessing RIPE/ARIN is different, but for us with APNIC (Since more than a year now) we cannot get any more allocations! The only additional size you can get now, is a /22, and only one.

It is alright still as there is not much request yet regarding buying IPs from service providers. Maybe people used to request a lot for nothing. When they are limited, they are still fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by bhavicp View Post
    I think it's too late for providers to get more, I'm guessing RIPE/ARIN is different, but for us with APNIC (Since more than a year now) we cannot get any more allocations! The only additional size you can get now, is a /22, and only one.

Quote Originally Posted by bhavicp View Post
    RIPE I think is in "one more /22" status, ARIN is not, you can still get more so long as you're using what you've got according to policy. AFRINIC has more. LACNIC might, I don't recall.

You should clarify with your provider if they are announcing it under their ASN or if they plan on advertising it under yours.

There should be minimal fees if they are just adding a prefix to their announcements on your behalf. If you're looking for white label and want your ASN announced with that prefix, then the fee is worth it. It's likely they will have a cost past to them if they want to advertise multiple AS's over the same link from their upstream providers.