Site5 & Kpmedia/DigitalFaq

I'm curious about something. One of the common pieces of advice that I've gotten from WHT is to always do your research on a host and their practices and reviews.

I've spent a good part of my weekend searching for reviews on Site5 dating back as far as like 2002, I believe.

However, something strikes me as confusing. Kpmedia was one of the people who suggested Site5 as a a good host to go with for VPS as well as it is a top 10 host on DigitalFaq list of recommends.

However in early reviews/threads here on WHT, he seemed to be critical of them. Especially when a customer complained and suggested the customer move FROm Site5 to another host. This was in like 2011-2012, only to start being more positive and recommending Site5 in 2013 or so.

I just want to make sure that the reviews and info about them I am reading are honest and legit and not some type of paid shill type of review. Not accusing, just inquiring.
      1 Not allowed!

Kpmedia is known for genuine and legit reviews, its what makes the purpose of it meaningful and a handy tool to have online.

Maybe site5 only got there asses into gear into 2013 and started providing a proper service, or whatever. His reviews are genuine as they come, alot of people use them for advice in the world of hosting now!
      1 Not allowed!

Site5 may have worked hard to improve their service. From recent reviews site5 seems to be a solid provider.
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials
      0 Not allowed!

Indeed, I was very critical. But things change. For example, most people don't know that Brent Oxley (aka Mr. Hostgator) owned a stake of Site5, before he has to divest himself of all hosting via a non-compete during that infamous EIG sale. Thankfully, instead of it going to EIG, they doubled down on becoming a better host.

You'll find I'm very critical of hosts. And I monitor many of them very closely, and very often.

My advice also entirely depends on what you specifically need. Sometimes that's Site5, sometimes it's another host. Every host has strengths and weaknesses. As someone that's used more hosts than I care to count/admit, I can point many of them out. I'm not at all a fan of generic advice, and tailor it to the question when asked (i.e., that's what that forum is for).

All you had to do was ask.

No ulterior motives here. I want people to find good hosts!
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||
      2 Not allowed!

I think kpmedia contributes greatly to WHT and helps users avoid the bad apples
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Dauntless View Post
    I just want to make sure that the reviews and info about them I am reading are honest and legit and not some type of paid shill type of review. Not accusing, just inquiring.
    The best review is from your true friend or family or by testing it yourself.

Really, you can't tell if it is honest and legit since you do not know what is happening under the table.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001
      0 Not allowed!

Lets talk host and leave people out of it.

I think each host at times is up and others start getting on the down side.

If an individual can can give both sides of the same host within a period, then I think he should really had been very critical.

Try also to check his previous views on hostgator!
    █▌ Cheapest Shared Hosting Solutions with 17+ Server Locations.
    █▌ Skrill, Perfect Money, AdvCash, Webmoney,OKPAY, Neteller, BitCoin, Payeer, STP.
    █▌ Web Hosting, Offshore Hosting, Reseller Hosting, VPS Hosting, Cloud Hosting by HostNesta.com!
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by hostnesta View Post
    Try also to check his previous views on hostgator!
    Yep, the whole Hostgator fiasco still annoys me.

I was critical of HG all the way through 2010, from its earliest days in 2002. A big reason was the false-start sellouts in previous years. (Yes, he tried to sell HG at least twice before EIG!) He assured me that was in the past, and HG would not be sold. I had several conversations with Brent in 2011, and was satisfied with how things were going. So I was able to recommend them. (Plans had been used for years, via clients.)

I should have seen it was all about money from the beginning -- between his online origins in college (semi-shady), the whole HG "unlimited" growth strategy in ~2008, and the eventual sellout to EIG. It seems he was never really concerned about the customers, or about providing excellent services. Just money. (I lost all respect for him, thanks to that final memo he sent -- much of it laden with right-wing extremist political nonsense.)

My recommendation only lasted maybe 6 months, from Q4 2011 to the buyout. Just two weeks before the sellout, we'd been in contact, and he was persuading me to also recommend his VPS and dedicated. (Which I never did, as those plans were and are still outdated crap!) I never heard back from him again, and the rest is history.

The moment EIG took over, I sounded the alarm. Many listened, and were fine. Many did not, and got screwed in 2013 multiple times -- just like EIG screwed me 3 times since 2003! (Hypermart, Readyhosting, and another.)

After the HG fiasco, I began to look even deeper at hosts before recommending them to others.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||
      0 Not allowed!

People change, all the time. Web hosts are run by people. What matters is who they are now, now who they were yesterday.
    We Have Generated Over 7 Million cPanel Backups Come Dance Together With Us Y'all!
    Offer Your Own Backup Hosting Service - SiteAutoBackup.Com (Private Label / WHMCS Ready)
    WebHostingBusinessBook.Com | YouTube.com/WebHostingTutorial | NowOpenOnline.Com
      0 Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jrianto View Post
    People change, all the time. Web hosts are run by people. What matters is who they are now, now who they were yesterday.
    *Not ... agree to some extent.
      0 Not allowed!