* Tortoise Labs - Tortois.es - Speechless...

I really don't know where to start with this... I am quite shocked TBH.

Never in the years I have been using hosting services (not that many like, but still) been talked to in such a way.

I was referred to this host as I was in need of high bandwidth with low spec hardware and that was cheap.

So I popped into their IRC channel on Staticbox and queried kaniini, I had been told this is the owner of the service and looking at his posts on here it looks like.
    The conversation started off well. We were talking about what would be best with what he had to offer for what I needed.

It came down to needing a VPS with 2GB of RAM, this would have a dedicated 20mbps connection but could burst 1gbps.
    This is fine for me as we would topically use 30-50mbps streaming multiple live video streams to 100 people average every night and would need to burst on weekends when we can have 300-500mbps throughput with the odd connection of nearing 1000mbps for events.

So fine, sounded good. For $30 I could provide more than enough bandwidth for the site. Sounded like a great deal.

But then I found a speed test file at http://dal.speedtest.tortois.es/

So I went on to my 1gbps server and did a WGET. 2.5MB/s average. Hmm
    Lets try that again, this time 26MB/s. Okay that is a bit better but still. That is only around 200mbps?
    Did a WGET of my second 1gbps server. 1.7MB/s???? Tried again and still 1.7MB/s.
    Tried on both servers and my home connection.
    Totalled at 30MB/s ~250mbps.

So I asked about it and got "kaniini shrugs". So I said "It is a tad slow", kaniini reply was "then don't buy it"... Okay?

So I said "I guess I was never going to get anything close to 1gbps for $30 was I..."

His response..
    Code:
    [04:13] <kaniini> you're an idiot
    [04:13] <kaniini> it can push 1gbps just fine
    [04:13] <kaniini> just not 1gbps for a single thread
    [04:14] <kaniini> try the ****ing download now
    [04:22] <kaniini> 2014-02-03 04:20:40 (31.4 MB/s) - '/dev/null' saved [1073741824/1073741824]
    [04:22] <kaniini> seems fine to me
    [04:22] <kaniini> that's dallas to miami
    First of all I do believe that "just not 1gbps for a single thread" is total bull..

And "you're an idiot".... Well I had a few years on customer support and I even ran my own little game hosting thing for about 4 years, never, NEVER would I ever say such a thing to a potential client or any clients for that matter.

I knew now I was not going to buy anything off this guy now. Never would I have expected to be talked to like that especially when he is apparently the owner of this operation.

Wanted to see though what his refund policy was.
    Code:
    <kaniini> considering your requirements are outside the given SLA: none
    <kaniini> considering your test methodology is non-scientific: none
    Well, I think EA Games is better with refunds...

I responded by saying that as the speed of the test file was so slow (same file size test file was done before this services' test file was 20% downloaded), that the service had 3 at most reviews on WHT and 0 on Google and that he called me an idiot that I would not be buying from him.

His response was
    Code:
    [04:35] <kaniini> okay
    [04:35] <kaniini> then kindly **** off
    [04:35] <kaniini> thanks for wasting my time

I have not posted this topic in retaliation. I have posted it to warn anyone thinking of using the service.
    Though the site looks pretty the person behind it is a total ass...

Okay, so, let me get this straight -- your concern is that I am an *******. WHT already knows I am an *******.

I'm not playing this game again with yet another kid, kindly have a good night.

edit: By the way, when you started whining about speedtest results on a single download thread, I already knew I did not wish to do business with you. So it's good we were in agreement that we did not wish to do business with each other.

Quote Originally Posted by kaniini View Post
    I'm not playing this game again with yet another kid, kindly have a good night.
    You're like some trainwreck come alive

Makes you relationship with skiddie Robert Clarke come into perspective

Horrible. The so called host sounds like a spoilt, ill mannered kid. In our country, we treat such kids with 2 tight slaps that will cure them.

No one should be rude to another person, and most definitely NOT to a potential customer.

I wonder how old this kid is... Sad.
    "For I know the plans I have for you" declares our Lord Jesus Christ, "they are plans to prosper you, to give you a hope and a future and not to destroy you." - Jeremiah 29:11

Quote Originally Posted by technichristian View Post
    Horrible. The so called host sounds like a spoilt, ill mannered kid. In our country, we treat such kids with 2 tight slaps that will cure them.

No one should be rude to another person, and most definitely NOT to a potential customer.

I wonder how old this kid is... Sad.
    You must be new to this internet thing. Nobody cares.

I have services with TortoiseLabs and my dealings with kaniini has been always good, he knows what he is doing and I actually make sure first that something is wrong before reporting it. Would recommend highly.

Quote Originally Posted by fisle View Post
    I have services with TortoiseLabs and my dealings with kaniini has been always good, he knows what he is doing and I actually make sure first that something is wrong before reporting it. Would recommend highly.
    Agreed!

I am a big fan of kaniini and TortoiseLabs.

We use him for a bunch of VPS's and the odd programming job... the guy certainly knows his stuff!
    Patrick William | RACK911 Labs | Software Security Auditing
    400+ Vulnerabilities Found - Quote @ https://www.RACK911Labs.com

www.HostingSecList.com - Security notices for the hosting community.