n00b needs help with php.ini

I am relatively new with VPS and know enough to mess things up.

I have a vas with Centos and Kloxo, it has a wordpress install and is running over it's memory limits - its currently set on the php side for 32mb. I'm trying to update it to 128mb.

I know this needs to be changed in php.ini - but I can't find that file or really know where to look, is this something I can find with FTP or do I need to use SSH to locate it? If it's SSH can I edit over the terminal?

I know these are probably really basic questions so bear with me, any advice and help is appreciated.

You can create a file named php.ini and edit it. This can be done via FTP or terminal, wherever you're more comfortable

Like AcclaimedHost stated you can just create a php.ini and edit it. Otherwise it may be referencing your .htaccess file which if the php.ini isn't found in your directory I would suggest not creating one. sometimes this can cause problems if the website references both the .htaccess and php.ini. I would recommend contacting your host to modify this value if your not sure how.

You can try following.
    1) Add following code in public_html/.htaccess file of your website.
    Code:
    php_value memory_limit 32M

2) create a new file php.ini in public_html folder of your website. Now add following code in this php.ini
    Code:
    memory_limit = 32M

3) If you want to increase php memory on entire server. Open /etc/php.ini file in a text editor and make following changes.
    Code:
    memory_limit = 32M
    YagHost - Pure SSD Hosting | Since 2007 | Average Response Time: 15 min
    Web Hosting | Reseller Hosting | Managed VPS Hosting
    99.9% Server Uptime Guarantee | 24/7 Rapid Response Tech Support | 30 Day Money Back Guarantee
    LopHost.com - Web Hosting Tutorials

Quote Originally Posted by vspakid View Post
    I am relatively new with VPS and know enough to mess things up.

I have a vas with Centos and Kloxo, it has a wordpress install and is running over it's memory limits - its currently set on the php side for 32mb. I'm trying to update it to 128mb.

I know this needs to be changed in php.ini - but I can't find that file or really know where to look, is this something I can find with FTP or do I need to use SSH to locate it? If it's SSH can I edit over the terminal?

I know these are probably really basic questions so bear with me, any advice and help is appreciated.

I hope you didn't purchase an unmanaged vps if you are not familiar with this.

This will depend on the configuration of your PHP. You should contact your host if you do not know what/where to edit.
    Specially 4 You
    JoneSolutions.Com ( Jones.Solutions ) is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions and services since 2001

simply,

# find / -name php.ini

edit the file....

I really hope you have read the recent post about Kloxo and fully understand the risks of running it...
    CPanel Shared and Reseller Hosting, OpenVZ VPS Hosting. West Coast (LA) Servers and Nodes
    Running Linux since 1.0.8 Kernel!
    Providing Internet Services since 1995 and Hosting Since 2004