Thumbs down Softsys Hosting Sales and Fraud Detection Review

I just want to share my experience with http://www.softsyshosting.com/ I saw their AD in the offer page and I thought I'd try them out. Well I never made it to actually getting a vps because of the way they handle their sales transaction.

I signed up for their ECO 1 Windows VPS hosting plan which came out to less than $10 after coupon. After I signed up, I received an email asking me to further verify my information because of fraud protection!! They wanted the first 6 and last 2 of my credit card, my driver license, and billing information!!!WHY?? The whole purpose of using paypal is so I do not have to provide them with any credit card information to protect my self from fraudulent companies!!! How would they verify with my credit card information any way...paypal does not give them anything to verify against!! IF multi-million dollars companies trust paypal to protect them against fraud why would some small hosting company ask you for all this extra information. I'm very disappointed. They did refund me the money.

I call their fraud detection complete bulls**t and an attempt to mine data or use personal data for their own benefit...I would be very cautious of this company!!!
    Last edited by Postbox; 02-02-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Sorry to hear about your experience. We require payment authorization form with verification to be filled up for new orders which require first 6 and last 2 digits of card (if paid through credit card) and PayPal account email address (if paid through PayPal). If you paid using your PayPal account which is linked with a card, you just need to enter PayPal account email address (and not card details). We need this to bat against online fraud that is prevalent in current market. I understand that it may be not comfortable for all customers and I wish you good luck with new provider..

Well, Its for your protection Only. The Client's protection so that Stolen Cards are not used for payment.

It may seem harsh for a genuine client like you, but from a hosts point of view, its required as many scammers use fraudulent data / stolen cards and then later chargebacks .. n more issues take place.

Just 3 months back our 2CO account had issues due to a similar event where we allowed a payment and for a minute sum of $10, And a Chargeback later.. ( Stolen Card ) 2CO almost blocked our account.

And No one is asking your FULL CREDIT CARD INFO + CVV , its just apart of your 16 Digit No. and Utility Bill which verifies you as a person what you claim to be.

If you see the broad picture, the host is ACTUALLY protecting YOU !
    XiNiX InfoTech Pvt. Ltd. ( Since 2005 ) : Quality Hosting @ Your Price !
    [ US/NL/IN ] Shared Hosting ♦ WHM Reseller ♦ VPS ♦ Dedicated Servers
    █ Included »» WHMCS ♦ SSL ♦ Domains ♦ IPMI ♦ SolusVM »» Visit Us Now

Quote Originally Posted by Softsys Hosting View Post
    Sorry to hear about your experience. We require payment authorization form with verification to be filled up for new orders which require first 6 and last 2 digits of card (if paid through credit card) and PayPal account email address (if paid through PayPal). If you paid using your PayPal account which is linked with a card, you just need to enter PayPal account email address (and not card details). We need this to bat against online fraud that is prevalent in current market. I understand that it may be not comfortable for all customers and I wish you good luck with new provider..
    So large companies such as homedepot.com and BabiesRUs.com do not require any additional information when making hundreds of dollars of purchase because they feel comfortable with paypal managing fraud on their end but you require additional information for a $8/month vps server?!?!?!? Makes perfect business sense...I think you should review your policies...

5. @OP this is a common practice for virtual goods. When you order physical goods you need to enter an approriate shipping address which is linked to your credit card, so they dont need to make extra steps to check for fraud.
    Hostabulous | cPanel (Linux) & Plesk (Windows) Hosting KVM VPS R1Soft backups | Proudly Canadian
    Cloudflare LiteSpeed Cloudlinux Remote backups Anti-Spam Web App Firewall Canada/US/Germany

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by sirroot View Post
    So large companies such as homedepot.com and BabiesRUs.com do not require any additional information when making hundreds of dollars of purchase because they feel comfortable with paypal managing fraud on their end but you require additional information for a $8/month vps server?!?!?!? Makes perfect business sense...I think you should review your policies...
    In Hosting Business , a Single Client can take down the whole server, and this in turn can affect thousands of clients hosted on that server, If the Server gets blocked by the parent company.

Please read the case above, we have been doing Thousands of Dollar Biz with 2CO, but $10 Bill Made us go mad.. Fraud is Fraud be it for $xx,xxx or Just $8!

Honestly, If you dont feel comfortable with providing those details, ask them for some other form of verification like phone call or something you may be okey with.

As i said earlier, its Good Sign for you as it mean Your Host is Sincere that he would host only legitimate clients.. which translates to more trusted clients .. less spam.. less server abuse and better service to YOU .
    XiNiX InfoTech Pvt. Ltd. ( Since 2005 ) : Quality Hosting @ Your Price !
    [ US/NL/IN ] Shared Hosting ♦ WHM Reseller ♦ VPS ♦ Dedicated Servers
    █ Included »» WHMCS ♦ SSL ♦ Domains ♦ IPMI ♦ SolusVM »» Visit Us Now