To ningx or not with cPanel?

I've taken a 4GB VPS from tmzvps and it comes with WHM/cPanel. I could opt for their unmanaged service which will give me a plain CentOS box. I will mainly be using this VPS for a couple of Wordpress and possibly one Expression Engine.

Considering that I will only have 2-3 websites with traffic that is roughly 20,000 page views per day, is it worth installing ningx and/or varnish? I've *heard* they improve performance tremendously. I have also heard that they don't necessarily work very well with cPanel. Another option would be to simply install Varnish with Apache and not have ningx.

What would some of you recommend? Use a ningx/varnish combo without cPanel and let go of the management aspect or just use Varnish with Apache and cPanel?

That works based on your environment. Anyway the addition will deliver pages fast and it will help you to manage server load while your peak hours. If you have a tight budget, run a trial for the plugin and compare the performance without plugin support. If it shows higher performance, of course go for it!

You can also install nginx as a reverse proxy over apache on the cpanel setup. There is a whm pluggin that does most of the work for you, that way you will have the best of both wolds

Are you having an issue with page load times as things stand at the moment?

I've tried various different Nginx plugins for cPanel/WHM but nowadays I prefer to go without them and build a good Apache/PHP configuration which usually consists of PHP 5.4 with Apache 2.4 and Cache, Deflate, etc. Since you have a Managed VPS, tmzVPS should be able to help you with tuning your Apache configuration.
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

I would not recommend nginx with cPanel. It requires quite a bit of tweaking and it would be easier for you to go with Apache + Varnish or LiteSpeed. I'd recommend Apache + Varnish over LiteSpeed due to the clause in the LiteSpeed TOS that does not allow adult websites.

Quote Originally Posted by AcclaimedHost Alan View Post
    I would not recommend nginx with cPanel. It requires quite a bit of tweaking and it would be easier for you to go with Apache + Varnish or LiteSpeed. I'd recommend Apache + Varnish over LiteSpeed due to the clause in the LiteSpeed TOS that does not allow adult websites.
    If you use cPNginx, you don't need to tweak anything. It automatically tweaks Nginx for you and works as a front end of Apache.

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHostBox - John View Post
    If you use cPNginx, you don't need to tweak anything. It automatically tweaks Nginx for you and works as a front end of Apache.
    Oh, I didn't know that. That's good to know.

I guess there is no reason not to try it now.

You can also try free cPanel nginx plugin.
    nginxcp.com
    YagHost - Fast Reliable Hosting Since 2009
    Managed VPS - NVMe DirectAdmin
    Web Hosting - NVMe SSD, AMD EPYC, 10 Gbps (US, Europe, Singapore)

Quote Originally Posted by GreenHostBox - John View Post
    Ehh... not always. It's not perfect out-of-the-box.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Thanks- tried nginxcp but it was causing all sorts of issues- php files were not executing and it kept restarting every now and then so have removed it. Just going ahead with apache and varnish

Quote Originally Posted by AbbasJaffarali View Post
    Thanks- tried nginxcp but it was causing all sorts of issues- php files were not executing and it kept restarting every now and then so have removed it. Just going ahead with apache and varnish
    Then you have a problem with your configuration.

If you are familiar with nginx, it can be done as a proxy and you will be amazed of how much traffic it can handle and the load will decrease.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Not sure if NGINX works with CPanel.

Quote Originally Posted by jcaleb View Post
    Not sure if NGINX works with CPanel.
    Yes, there are plugins to configure NGINX as reverse proxy on cPanel servers. There is only one automated plugin to allow direct NGINX - FPM serve, which is no longer maintaining by the author.