Personality Test for a Linux System Engineer position

Okay i need the help of WHT here

What type of personality type are they looking for in a company "like" webmd.com as a Linux System Engineering position?

I mean i have no idea why a company will resort to using a personality test to make a decision but can you guys chip in on this?

What do you think they are after here?

Thanks!
    Superb Houston/Los Angeles Colocation: LAYERHOST.COM https://www.layerhost.com/colocation
    *not affiliated, just recommendation*

compatibility with their staff and leadership.

^^what he said, and to make sure you're not a psychopath.
    QuadraNet.com™ - Enterprise Dedicated Servers, Cloud Hosting, and Colocation
    j.goldman@quadranet.com

There are some in IT business and development that have opinions so strongly they can't work well with a boss, or in a for profit environment, or in a setting the requires decorum.....and it's one way to help weed those out before they join and have to be relieved before their probation period.

Quote Originally Posted by (Stephen) View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by JGoldman View Post
    ^^what he said, and to make sure you're not a psychopath.
    There are some in IT business and development that have opinions so strongly they can't work well with a boss, or in a for profit environment, or in a setting the requires decorum.....and it's one way to help weed those out before they join and have to be relieved before their probation period.
    So which of these personalities (http://www.personality-type.net/) will you say fit a Linux System Engineering position which also include providing some lite technical support to other employees computers...like i said in a company "like" webmd.com (so kind of like healthcare IT i guess)..they do same thing as webmd

NOTE: This is not the part to weed out..this is the part to make a final decision on who gets the job!

thanks
    Last edited by nokia3310; 02-01-2014 at 07:12 PM.
    Superb Houston/Los Angeles Colocation: LAYERHOST.COM https://www.layerhost.com/colocation

Quote Originally Posted by nokia3310 View Post
    So which of these personalities (http://www.personality-type.net/) will you say fit a Linux System Engineering position which also include providing some lite technical support to other employees computers...like i said in a company "like" webmd.com (so kind of like healthcare IT i guess)..they do same thing as webmd

NOTE: This is not the part to weed out..this is the part to make a final decision on who gets the job!

thanks
    Weeding out can come at final stages as well, but likely something along the lines of INTP ESTP ENTJ ENFJ or ISTJ would fit best in a large corporate setting. Whereas smaller companies or small projects would want to go more INFP INTJ ISTP ENTP ENTJ all fit best.

There are overlaps as well, this focuses more on your core personality.
    I once had to take test like this but tested 4 different areas, it is called the Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument and a very comprehensive test, it measures not only which you are primarily but how much of each you follow. I've got my results from almost 10 years ago on file somewhere would be interested to take it again now and see how I have changed over time.

Weeding out can come at final stages as well, but likely something along the lines of INTP ESTP ENTJ ENFJ or ISTJ would fit best in a large corporate setting. Whereas smaller companies or small projects would want to go more INFP INTJ ISTP ENTP ENTJ all fit best.

There are overlaps as well, this focuses more on your core personality.
    I once had to take test like this but tested 4 different areas, it is called the Herrmann Brain Dominance Instrument and a very comprehensive test, it measures not only which you are primarily but how much of each you follow. I've got my results from almost 10 years ago on file somewhere would be interested to take it again now and see how I have changed over time.
    So far i have taken like 2 tests and i have ESTJ (determined realist)...the thing is it is not so large..like 100 employess and like i said the position includes providing support..which makes me think they understand one will be meeting more people than just a regular sys admin position.

I believe they are using this to make a decision because they want someone that will love the position and that will stay. They want someone that will be happy with the position.

So far i have taken like 2 tests and i have ESTJ (determined realist)...the thing is it is not so large..like 100 employess and like i said the position includes providing support..which makes me think they understand one will be meeting more people than just a regular sys admin position.

I believe they are using this to make a decision because they want someone that will love the position and that will stay. They want someone that will be happy with the position.
    ESTJ is a very compatible personality and I'd not worry about result at all. If you did in person interviews they may be taking your answers there and how you presented yourself, and comparing them to your self evaluation personality type. It can be good for a number of aspects as well, and a lot can be learned in an in person interview other than the words spoken. Being that it isn't a large corporate you probably won't have to deal with some of the really big company drama, so that is a bonus IMO

Take everything from above...and now add dealing with the public.

Some people...great leaders...great at their craft....loved among employees.....now ask them to deal with the public and/or handle customer/client complaints, and they turn into a complete tool that's extremely rude....and that's a nice way of putting it without swearing.

Search through WHT and look at some of the responses by companies and you will get an idea of what a company wants. Examples;

Company X...great support, owner a tool
    Company Y...monkey support, owner will do everything including baking cookies to the customer happy.

The problem, both examples will leave customers with a negative impression. Companies are trying to find the best match for an overall positive experience...employees and customers.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    Take everything from above...and now add dealing with the public.

Some people...great leaders...great at their craft....loved among employees.....now ask them to deal with the public and/or handle customer/client complaints, and they turn into a complete tool that's extremely rude....and that's a nice way of putting it without swearing.

Search through WHT and look at some of the responses by companies and you will get an idea of what a company wants. Examples;

Company X...great support, owner a tool
    Company Y...monkey support, owner will do everything including baking cookies to the customer happy.

The problem, both examples will leave customers with a negative impression. Companies are trying to find the best match for an overall positive experience...employees and customers.

Very good example.

ESTJ is a very compatible personality and I'd not worry about result at all. If you did in person interviews they may be taking your answers there and how you presented yourself, and comparing them to your self evaluation personality type. It can be good for a number of aspects as well, and a lot can be learned in an in person interview other than the words spoken. Being that it isn't a large corporate you probably won't have to deal with some of the really big company drama, so that is a bonus IMO
    The thing is i am not happy that is has to come down to taking that test...i mean i am not even sure if it will be that type of test...because there are different types of personality tests...just kind of those are the general classifications.

The thing is i really love the company and know the company and position are just the perfect fit for me. Also people tend to conform and adapt to company culture most times..so have no idea why they going this route. I had prefer another round interview

Very good example.
    Thanks

Also people tend to conform and adapt to company culture most times..so have no idea why they going this route. I had prefer another round interview
    As you said most. Depending on my situation, I'm either introverted or extroverted. I've had jobs where I chose not to "fit in". Jobs where the staff basically hung around each other at work, away from work, or hung out on days off (at work)....all the time. Wasn't me. Once in a while but I looked at my job as a job, not a second family, but I did my job very well. Nothing wrong with that. Everyone was cool...wasn't my career...just transitional until something better came along. Technically I shouldn't have gotten the job if they wanted someone to fit in...which an interview won't necessarily point that out.

The thing is i am not happy that is has to come down to taking that test...i mean i am not even sure if it will be that type of test...because there are different types of personality tests...just kind of those are the general classifications.

The thing is i really love the company and know the company and position are just the perfect fit for me. Also people tend to conform and adapt to company culture most times..so have no idea why they going this route. I had prefer another round interview
    I would not put too much weight on it coming down to the test, it will likely be a small part of the equation in the end. They will take results and evaluate past interviews etc, and it will just have some play there, not be the major decision point. Since the tests are all self evaluation they can change quite a bit as we mature, fit in at places, exclude ourselves from places etc. It is really only a test of what is the here and now. There are some aspects that arent, that's where the more comprehensive ones come in to pinpoint exactly how you make decisions, why you make them, and how quickly you'd like to make them.

I would not put too much weight on it coming down to the test, it will likely be a small part of the equation in the end. They will take results and evaluate past interviews etc, and it will just have some play there, not be the major decision point. Since the tests are all self evaluation they can change quite a bit as we mature, fit in at places, exclude ourselves from places etc. It is really only a test of what is the here and now. There are some aspects that arent, that's where the more comprehensive ones come in to pinpoint exactly how you make decisions, why you make them, and how quickly you'd like to make them.
    I really think it will be a major part in the decision in this case. Because according to them..its a close tie between only 2 people right now and now they requesting this personality test..so i know it will play a major part.

I feel if it happens that the result are far apart and one favors what they want..they will make the decision that way...disregarding its just a freaking test.

Hell i feel if it happens one is introvert and one is extrovert...and who knows who they want..they may make a decision that way...thats how i feel about it...i may be wrong

This exactly.

When I was interviewed for my IT job, I could tell this is exactly what they wanted out of me.

Quote Originally Posted by randombling View Post
    This exactly.

When I was interviewed for my IT job, I could tell this is exactly what they wanted out of me.
    How does one show someone will be compatible? I mean i am not sure they will get that answer from some tests...not to talk of a personality test when people don't even behave the same at work and outside work

I think a good personality and experience is the result of a solid knowledge of work and of the life.
    Cybernes Hosting: Hosting Cusco

You mind sharing what you got for the HBDI test?

You mind sharing what you got for the HBDI test?
    The result analysis is very long but overall there is a square with 4 quadrants, my results were almost a square except short on the emotional/feeling side where it was notably cut off and shorter.

http://www.hbdi.com/WholeBrainProduc...es/thehbdi.php

it looks similar to this but this is in form of circle, so say the red part there would be a but like a tire needing some air

Curious if anything new with this job yet?

Curious if anything new with this job yet?
    Very good question...got it!!!
    Currently enjoying the happy moment!!!

Very good question...got it!!!
    Currently enjoying the happy moment!!!
    Many congrats!

enjoy it, and make it fun and challenging for you all so that you stay involved and enjoying it for a long time.

I know if I didn't enjoy my job and its inherent challenges, choices, and options, I'd not be happy at all!

Many congrats!

enjoy it, and make it fun and challenging for you all so that you stay involved and enjoying it for a long time.

I know if I didn't enjoy my job and its inherent challenges, choices, and options, I'd not be happy at all!
    Its a perfect fit...just fits exactly what i want and love to do!
    Thanks!

Personality test is only to judge your decision making power and how much you can manage the situation.

Unless the psycho is top management, then you can be a psycho too ... Check out linux

My point is that it is possible to be a psycho and get a job as well.

Now, in the normal world (not the exception above), you need basic communication skills.
    1. Mmmmm food...